164 LSAT / 3.70 GPA Chances for Emory Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
lawlaura3494

New

164 LSAT / 3.70 GPA Chances for Emory

Post by lawlaura3494 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:43 pm

Wondering what my chances are with these numbers at Emory. I took the December LSAT, so my app wasn't complete until the first week or two of January; scared that the late completion date puts me at a disadvantage. I have a pretty strong resume and good rec letters. Emory is my top choice. So far Ive gotten into UF, UM, and UGA with scholarship money.

I was decently confident, but was just wait listed at GW (assuming it was because I didn't apply until January and they're rolling), and now I'm super freaked out. On LSN it shows basically everyone with a 164 getting waitlisted, but I'm kind of skeptical seeing as not every person admitted enters their data on there. Any thoughts? Thanks :)

Indifference

Silver

Re: 164 LSAT / 3.70 GPA Chances for Emory

Post by Indifference » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:57 pm

Last edited by Indifference on Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MAPP

Bronze

Post by MAPP » Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:12 pm

There are like two apps to Emory with your numbers on mylsn so it might not be worth using. While you are below both medians at Emory, it is key to note that their 25th percentile lsat is 156 and 75th percentile lsat is 166, which means they give a lot of leeway for an lsat below the median score. Your chances are not terrible.

MAPP

Bronze

Post by MAPP » Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:19 pm

Check out this thread on TLS http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=255714 and go down to where Itbenn talks about using a school's gpa/lsat multiplier and you can calculate what your chances are based on your gpa/lsat and emory's medians.

transferror

Silver

Post by transferror » Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:20 pm

How will you be financing law school?
How much $$ did you get to UGA?
Are you from GA and do you want to stay there after school?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lawlaura3494

New

Post by lawlaura3494 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:21 pm

mujiali wrote:Mylsn is a fairly good predictor, barring crazy softs or other outliers. I know people hate this question, but why not retake? Regardless of your goals, a better score would undoubtedly raise your prospects both admission and career wise.
Unfortunately already took twice.. First time I took it my nerves got to me and scored much lower than my practice tests were indicating, however my normal range was 164-166 so don't want to take again and risk scoring lower.

lawlaura3494

New

Post by lawlaura3494 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:22 pm

transferror wrote:How will you be financing law school?
Florida resident, I got $10,000 a year from UGA and got accepted like a week after sending in my app. Definite possibility of staying in GA after graduation.

Indifference

Silver

Post by Indifference » Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:37 pm

Last edited by Indifference on Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

transferror

Silver

Post by transferror » Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:40 pm

lawlaura3494 wrote:
Florida resident, I got $10,000 a year from UGA and got accepted like a week after sending in my app. Definite possibility of staying in GA after graduation.
If you're from Florida it's going to be easier for you to find a job in Florida, unless you have significant contacts/ties to Georgia (and Atlanta, specifically) and can articulate why you'd rather stay there than return to Florida.

If I were you, UF or FSU with a full ride would be my goal. How much scholarship $$ did you receive at UF? Did you apply to FSU?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

stretchedtoothin

Bronze

Post by stretchedtoothin » Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:43 pm

MAPP wrote:There are like two apps to Emory with your numbers on mylsn so it might not be worth using. While you are below both medians at Emory, it is key to note that their 25th percentile lsat is 156 and 75th percentile lsat is 166, which means they give a lot of leeway for an lsat below the median score. Your chances are not terrible.
For the record, there are gross disparities in the percentiles because of schools accepting "splitters" and "reverse-splitters" to pad their numbers. A 3.2/170 andor 3.9/160 has a much, much better chance at Emory over a 3.7/164 if Emory's adcomms are focused on maintaining medians (they are)

stretchedtoothin

Bronze

Post by stretchedtoothin » Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:45 pm

If you want a job in Georgia or want the options of going to major cities outside of the South, a retake is in order. HOWEVER, if you're fine/content with staying in Florida, your numbers are extremely strong, and you shouldn't settle for anything less than UF/FSU with substantial scholarship money. That's a pretty good outcome

lawlaura3494

New

Post by lawlaura3494 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:51 pm

transferror wrote:
lawlaura3494 wrote:
If you're from Florida it's going to be easier for you to find a job in Florida, unless you have significant contacts/ties to Georgia (and Atlanta, specifically) and can articulate why you'd rather stay there than return to Florida.

If I were you, UF or FSU with a full ride would be my goal. How much scholarship $$ did you receive at UF? Did you apply to FSU?
Currently at UF for undergrad, they offered me a 75% scholarship and basically told me they're willing to negotiate and give me more. However, I really really want to get out of Gainesville, and pretty much want to get out of Florida as well. Didn't apply to FSU, I have no desire to go there and if anything would just go to UF.

lawlaura3494

New

Post by lawlaura3494 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:53 pm

stretchedtoothin wrote:If you want a job in Georgia or want the options of going to major cities outside of the South, a retake is in order. HOWEVER, if you're fine/content with staying in Florida, your numbers are extremely strong, and you shouldn't settle for anything less than UF/FSU with substantial scholarship money. That's a pretty good outcome
At this point I don't want to take the feb test (I think it's too late to register now anyways?) and wait until March to get a new score and reapply. So do you think because I'm neither a splitter / reverse splitter I'm basically screwed with these stats?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

stretchedtoothin

Bronze

Post by stretchedtoothin » Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:58 pm

Retake, re-negotiate with UF and go, try to negotiate with UGA, or don't go to law school unless you're not debt-financing your education. Those are pretty much your best options. I would go with the retake, since 2-3 more questions right gets you into the T14 and/or UF definitely for free...and 4-6 more questions right will open up most of the T14 for you.

However, an 85-100% ride at UF isn't bad, even if you hate G-ville. Your rent's like $500 bucks a month and Midtown/Downtown is not that bad if you avoid the fratty scenes like Balls

Also, re: your last question, yes: being slightly below both medians is almost ALWAYS worse than being a traditional splitter/reverse splitter. You really only have a strong shot with those stats if (a) you're URM (and if so, you wouldn't be going to Emory), (b) Emory's median is dropping to like a 164 or 163 (don't see that happening at all this cycle), or (c) you're a special snowflake. Are you a special snowflake? Military combat vet? Published author? I-banking in NYC before law school? Nationally prestigious undergrad (you went to UF, so the answer to that is no)

just sit out and retake in June for the 170 (or even the 166) and profit $$$. Go work--doing literally anything--for a year. Or, alternatively, just go to UF (after re-negotiating). Emory's not worth it even if they accept you.

transferror

Silver

Post by transferror » Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:10 pm

stretchedtoothin wrote:Retake, re-negotiate with UF and go, try to negotiate with UGA, or don't go to law school unless you're not debt-financing your education. Those are pretty much your best options. I would go with the retake, since 2-3 more questions right gets you into the T14 and/or UF definitely for free...and 4-6 more questions right will open up most of the T14 for you.

However, an 85-100% ride at UF isn't bad, even if you hate G-ville. Your rent's like $500 bucks a month and Midtown/Downtown is not that bad if you avoid the fratty scenes like Balls

Also, re: your last question, yes: being slightly below both medians is almost ALWAYS worse than being a traditional splitter/reverse splitter. You really only have a strong shot with those stats if (a) you're URM (and if so, you wouldn't be going to Emory), (b) Emory's median is dropping to like a 164 or 163 (don't see that happening at all this cycle), or (c) you're a special snowflake. Are you a special snowflake? Military combat vet? Published author? I-banking in NYC before law school? Nationally prestigious undergrad (you went to UF, so the answer to that is no)

just sit out and retake in June for the 170 (or even the 166) and profit $$$. Go work--doing literally anything--for a year. Or, alternatively, just go to UF (after re-negotiating). Emory's not worth it even if they accept you.
I agree with this.

Unless you score into low-mid 170s on a retake, UF with ties to FL and substantial scholarship will probably be your best combination of job prospects + debt management. Even if you get into Emory with your current numbers, you'll likely have no scholarship and the debt will be prohibitive.

Negotiate with UF and retake the LSAT in June. If you score a 170+, then you can sit out the year, apply in October, and you should get scholarships somewhere in the lower T14. If you bomb the retake or only slightly improve, you matriculate at Florida.

I completely understand wanting to get out of FL, but incurring massive debt to attend a regional school (like Emory) with no ties to the region is the wrong way to do it. If you really want out, nail your retake in June.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “What are my chances?”