Veteran Splitter Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
njkga

Bronze

Veteran Splitter

Post by njkga » Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:57 pm

Hello folks - Just curious about - you guessed it - what my chances are?

LSAC calculated gpa is 3.39
LSAT Score of 167
I have a very strong upward curve from my early years of college (2.4) to my later years of college (3.9)

I am also nine year army vet.

I've applied so far to UGA, Emory, Georgetown, Duke, NYU
I plan on applying to UVA, Northwestern and, just for the hell of it, Yale, though I certainly don't have any unrealistic expectations there.

mylsn suggests that I'll get in at UGA and Emory without issues, and a decent chance at georgetown. I'm wondering, though, if my military experience and/or strong upward GPA trend will give me better than "decent" chances at georgetown or any chance at all at higher ranked schools.

sodomojo

Bronze

Re: Veteran Splitter

Post by sodomojo » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:43 pm

You should be able to get one of the lower T14s.

If you can get that LSAT up a few points, that'd be great though.

njkga

Bronze

Post by njkga » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:48 pm

That'd mean delaying my app for another year. If this cycle doesn't pan out favorably, I'll be doing that, but I think Emory will likely offer me decent $$$, and since I live in the ATL area anyway, I'll just end up going there if I don't get in (or enough $) elsewhere.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:50 pm

No GI Bill?

Being a veteran is a solid soft but you usually need to hit at least one median. That puts a couple of T-14's in play, but likely at full price if you don't retake or have veterans benefits.

njkga

Bronze

Post by njkga » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:32 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:No GI Bill?

Being a veteran is a solid soft but you usually need to hit at least one median. That puts a couple of T-14's in play, but likely at full price if you don't retake or have veterans benefits.
Used GI bill on undergrad. Thanks for the feedback.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:42 pm

I'd blanket 6-15asap. There's no reason to apply to nyu but not Penn, or uva but not duke etc.

winstonsalem

New

Post by winstonsalem » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:35 pm

I'd suggest adding Stanford and Berkeley to your list. I know a non-URM vet with a 3.5/161 who got into both, and I've seen many profiles of vets on lawschoolnumbers.com that exceeded expectations at those schools. The black box admissions schools tend to be the few where a hail mary app from a vet has a chance.

Lexaholik

Bronze

Post by Lexaholik » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:28 pm

njkga wrote:That'd mean delaying my app for another year. If this cycle doesn't pan out favorably, I'll be doing that, but I think Emory will likely offer me decent $$$, and since I live in the ATL area anyway, I'll just end up going there if I don't get in (or enough $) elsewhere.
What are your career goals? If you want to end up in ATL, going to Emory with massive $$$ is far better than going to say, Cornell or Northwestern with no $. If your goals are Biglaw or bust then you should wait a year, re-take the LSAT and improve your score, and re-apply.

Billy Madison

Bronze

Post by Billy Madison » Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:18 pm

Is this 1 median thing a thing? I know you said at least, but you think a vet hitting just one still has a decent shot?

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:22 pm

Billy Madison wrote:

Is this 1 median thing a thing? I know you said at least, but you think a vet hitting just one still has a decent shot?
Even non-vets just need to hit one. Most people at a school will be at/above one and below the other.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”