3.8 GPA, 168 LSAT Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
trix

New

3.8 GPA, 168 LSAT

Post by trix » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:02 am

Hi,

I'm in a pretty interesting situation. I'm not really sure if I'll be considered as an international student as I am a non-resident alien with a G1 Visa due to my parents. However, I grew up here and have attended school in the US since I was 7. I don't know if that changes much. Any insight would be much appreciated.

I double majored in History and Political Science, graduated in three years, and have a UGPA of 3.8. I believe I got great LORs.

I have pretty average softs of being in several leadership positions in college clubs/activities, Phi Beta Kappa, significant volunteer work at various non-profits, avg. part time work, etc., but I started a business in my second of year of college which is still thriving.

I am planning to apply to NYU, Columbia, Yale, Georgetown, Rutgers, Seton Hall, and University of Virginia.

What are my chances?

Clearly

Gold

Re: 3.8 GPA, 168 LSAT

Post by Clearly » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:15 am

How do you feel about retaking? a few points puts you in big scholly territory.

trix

New

Post by trix » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:25 am

Clearly wrote:How do you feel about retaking? a few points puts you in big scholly territory.
Idk, but I would really like to attend law school by the fall. I don't want to wait another cycle. And retaking in February I think would be too late for a number of the schools I would like to apply to. I also forgot to mention that I was supposed to take my LSAT in June but couldn't make it because I was hospitalized for a few months and it really cut into my studying time for the October LSAT. I'm planning to write an addendum about it.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:58 am

Definitely retake

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:41 am

The difference between sitting out a cycle and not doing so is just huge here. You'll get into a great school as is, but its hard to understand as an applicant how much scholly money matters. Lets say you get to NYU at sticker. You get biglaw (none of these are given btw) you make 160k first year, but you've got 300k in debt. After taxes you take home 100k first year, you figure you'll live cheap so you live on 50k in manhattan (which sucks) and pay the other half towards your loans. At that pace it'll take you 7-8 years to even break even. Granted you'll get raises, but you also won't likely be in biglaw for 8 years either... You work twice as hard as your friends but won't have anything to show for it.

Or you retake and get 4 more multiple choice questions right. You chill for a year and work or do something, you cop scholarships. You get to work twice as hard as your friends and get more money for it. You don't feel tied to your awful job. You're free....

Your call.

You won't get into yale, you might possibly pull off Columbia. Prob at NYU, yes with money at the rest.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:43 am

trix wrote:
Clearly wrote:How do you feel about retaking? a few points puts you in big scholly territory.
Idk, but I would really like to attend law school by the fall. I don't want to wait another cycle. And retaking in February I think would be too late for a number of the schools I would like to apply to. I also forgot to mention that I was supposed to take my LSAT in June but couldn't make it because I was hospitalized for a few months and it really cut into my studying time for the October LSAT. I'm planning to write an addendum about it.
Also this sounds like you could do better if you studied fully under normal circumstances. Therefore I change my answer from prob retake, to you're a fool if you don't retake. Your addendum won't mean anything at all. LSAT addenda are generally stupid. If you think you can do better, don't tell schools that, retake and show them.

Indifference

Silver

Post by Indifference » Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:42 pm

Just dropping in to echo th retake chorus. You're one test score away from getting into (almost) any school you want. What's the rush for this fall?

leslieknope

Silver

Post by leslieknope » Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:26 am

Also, retaking in February is definitely not too late for schollys, at least for last cycle. I renegotiated for several T14 full rides with my Feb retake.

Biglaw1990

Bronze

Post by Biglaw1990 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:49 pm

Last edited by Biglaw1990 on Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Kinky John

Silver

Post by Kinky John » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:59 pm

Biglaw1990 wrote:Why are Rutgers and Seton Hall on your list? Take them off...immediately.
Probably because they're strong regional schools and OP would likely get full rides or close to it.

Biglaw1990

Bronze

Post by Biglaw1990 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:14 pm

Last edited by Biglaw1990 on Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kinky John

Silver

Post by Kinky John » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:45 pm

Biglaw1990 wrote:
Kinky John wrote:
Biglaw1990 wrote:Why are Rutgers and Seton Hall on your list? Take them off...immediately.
Probably because they're strong regional schools and OP would likely get full rides or close to it.
By what qualifications are they strong regionals? The only "strong regional" in the tri-state area is Fordham.
They both have decent employment stats and most of their grads are employed in NJ. Fordham is in NY and only 5.4% of its 2014 grads were employed in NJ. But, this is derailing the thread. Year(s) of WE + retake.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:14 am

Kinky John wrote:
Biglaw1990 wrote:
Kinky John wrote:
By what qualifications are they strong regionals? The only "strong regional" in the tri-state area is Fordham.
They both have decent employment stats and most of their grads are employed in NJ. Fordham is in NY and only 5.4% of its 2014 grads were employed in NJ. But, this is derailing the thread. Year(s) of WE + retake.
I'm all for not derailing, but neither of those schools are strong regionals at all. All bad schools will place most of their employed students in state. Doesn't make them good. Fordham, Emory, BU/BC are strong regionals.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Biglaw1990

Bronze

Post by Biglaw1990 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:20 am

Last edited by Biglaw1990 on Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

heythatslife

Silver

Post by heythatslife » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:27 am

I would echo this sentiment. Strike them off and replace with Cornell and Northwestern. You may get some scholly at either. NW in particular has been making it rain recently with Pritzker money.

Your immigration status has no bearing on the admissions process, fwiw.

Biglaw1990

Bronze

Post by Biglaw1990 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:34 am

Last edited by Biglaw1990 on Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kinky John

Silver

Post by Kinky John » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:48 am

Clearly wrote:All bad schools will place most of their employed students in state. Doesn't make them good.
Right, it makes them regional. Maybe "state flagship" is the correct term, but my point is the same.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:34 am

Kinky John wrote:
Clearly wrote:All bad schools will place most of their employed students in state. Doesn't make them good.
Right, it makes them regional. Maybe "state flagship" is the correct term, but my point is the same.
you weren't arguing they were regional, you were arguing they were strong regionals. They aren't. I wouldn't advocate either with a half ride to anyone at all.
Neither of those are flagship schools either. You should look up what flagship means. By definition if they are in the same state they can't both be flagships lol. I'm not trying to argue semantics, but call a spade a spade. Those schools just aren't good.

Kinky John

Silver

Post by Kinky John » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:53 am

Clearly wrote:you weren't arguing they were regional, you were arguing they were strong regionals. They aren't. I wouldn't advocate either with a half ride to anyone at all.
Neither of those are flagship schools either. You should look up what flagship means. By definition if they are in the same state they can't both be flagships lol. I'm not trying to argue semantics, but call a spade a spade. Those schools just aren't good.
Notice I said "flagship" (singular), "maybe," "full rides or close to it." Literally all I'm saying is that the reason OP may have those schools on her list is because if she needs to work in NJ, they could be decent options w/ $$$. Given OP's stats, there's probably little reason to actually consider these schools, but it explains why they may be on her list. Your well-reasoned, enlightening point is noted.

nick417

Bronze

Post by nick417 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:07 pm

With 3.8 and 168, Rutgers will not only give you a full scholarship (guaranteed all 3 years) but would probably give you $$$ just to attend. I have a friend with a lower LSAT and GPA who got a full scholarship and $$$ just to attend Rutgers. Not saying Rutgers is a great option, but I think it is always good to apply to a couple schools like that so you can see where the market is on scholarships. The more full rides or scholarships you get the better.

I echo everyone else though, if you can retake the LSAT and get better than a 168, that is ideal. February is not to late (even June might not be to late). With the way law school attendance has plummeted, these schools are accepting students well into the summer just to fill out a class.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”