Will veteran status and a stellar application counter a 3.45 LSAC GPA Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Djmcnulty

New

Will veteran status and a stellar application counter a 3.45 LSAC GPA

Post by Djmcnulty » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:10 pm

Before college, I spent 5 years active duty in the Navy. I am wondering if anyone knows another student with a similar story/stats to mine. I am due to graduate in May with an anticipated 3.45 LSAC GPA from John Jay College (A city college known notably for its emphasis in criminal justice and government). I have done an internship with the Manhattan D.A. as an intelligence analyst, which is a mix between paralegal and investigator/analyst work, and am currently working as a paralegal for the U.S. Attorney's Office in Manhattan (SDNY if you are familiar with the regional offices). Aside from school and work, I play ice hockey, soccer, and baseball, and coach a Cal Ripken Baseball team. Then when I somehow find time I play the snare drum for the Staten Island Pipe and Drum band.

From seeing the educational background of many of the top attorney's in Manhattan, I know it's T14 or nothing(Probably even Top 8 or nothing), and will be the only range of schools I apply too. I know my GPA is borderline trash in T14 standards but I am hoping there is a possibility to counter it with a kick-butt apllication aside from that.

From this context, do you think my military time, work experience, and outside activities will help counter my low GPA? How far of a homerun do I have to hit on my LSAT if my experience may not pull much weight? Do you think top schools truely take a holistic approach, as to take all parts of the application into consideration, or do you think they see a 3.45 and burn it before they even imagine the school's "average incoming student GPA" fading away?

jewkidontheblock

Bronze

Re: Will veteran status and a stellar application counter a 3.45 LSAC GPA

Post by jewkidontheblock » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:27 pm

Your GPA isn't trash - 170+ would guarantee at least the bottom of the T14. Don't set a target, just get every single point you can, as close to 180 as possible. Deal with the rest later.

Djmcnulty

New

Re: Will veteran status and a stellar application counter a 3.45 LSAC GPA

Post by Djmcnulty » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:37 pm

jewkidontheblock wrote:Your GPA isn't trash - 170+ would guarantee at least the bottom of the T14. Don't set a target, just get every single point you can, as close to 180 as possible. Deal with the rest later.
Your username is hilarious. Thanks

Return to “What are my chances?”