2.8 GPA, 161 LSAT, URM ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
maraschino

New

2.8 GPA, 161 LSAT, URM ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Post by maraschino » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:11 pm

I have a 2.8 UGPA. Psychology Major from ASU. Last few years of college (last 70 credits) I had a 3.3GPA.

Decent softs: Mexican American female, disadvantaged background, Americorps member, 5+ years volunteer experience, LOR from employer at non-profit, americorps program manager and philosophy professor.

I took the LSAT last Feb after taking one practice exam and scored 161.
I'm currently studying for the June LSAT in 2016 and confident I will break 170.

So tell me, am I crazy to apply to most of the lower T14? Also tossing apps to GW, UT-Austin, BC, BU, ASU/UofA.

I've creeped all over TLS and checked my lsn and I'm probably going to ED Northwestern unless there is some compelling reason I shouldn't. I really like Chicago, would be stoked to work on wrongful convictions and I am very interested in their LLM in International Human Rights.

I can't see Mich or UVA touching me w a 10 foot pole. So I don't even know if the report fees would be worth it the rejections.

I'd like ASU to be my safety school and right now with my numbers, it's a reach.

Thanks for your input!
Last edited by maraschino on Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

PoopNpants

Silver

Re: 2.8 GPA, 161 LSAT, URM, Retaking LSAT in Feb

Post by PoopNpants » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:20 am

If you do well on the LSAT, 165+ you should have a good shot, but a February LSAT is really late if you mean to apply this cycle FYI

maraschino

New

Re: 2.8 GPA, 161 LSAT, URM, Retaking LSAT in Feb

Post by maraschino » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:51 am

I called ASU admissions and they said it would be fine but yeah, prob less chance for scholarship money. Maybe I should wait until 2017?

maraschino

New

Re: 2.8 GPA, 161 LSAT, URM ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Post by maraschino » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:44 am

Bump

JazzyMac

Bronze

Post by JazzyMac » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:24 am

Bump for you to see how you're doing this cycle.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lexaholik

Bronze

Post by Lexaholik » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:24 pm

maraschino wrote:I have a 2.8 UGPA. Psychology Major from ASU. Last few years of college (last 70 credits) I had a 3.3GPA.

Decent softs: Mexican American female, disadvantaged background, Americorps member, 5+ years volunteer experience, LOR from employer at non-profit, americorps program manager and philosophy professor.

I'm currently studying for the June LSAT in 2016 and confident I will break 170.

So tell me, am I crazy to apply to most of the lower T14? Also tossing apps to GW, UT-Austin, BC, BU, ASU/UofA.

I've creeped all over TLS and checked my lsn and I'm probably going to ED Northwestern unless there is some compelling reason I shouldn't. I really like Chicago, would be stoked to work on wrongful convictions and I am very interested in their LLM in International Human Rights.

I can't see Mich or UVA touching me w a 10 foot pole. So I don't even know if the report fees would be worth it the rejections.

I'd like ASU to be my safety school and right now with my numbers, it's a reach.

Thanks for your input!
Apply everywhere. Nobody really knows where you'll end up but with a high enough LSAT score and URM status you'll likely hit something. If your goal is really to get into T14/Northwestern, practice the hell out of the LSAT, and take it multiple times so that you max out your score. Depending on your final score, you may be a marginal candidate but you can definitely get in--just make sure you put together a solid application and be prepared to hang out on the waitlist.

fliptrip

Gold

Post by fliptrip » Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:17 pm

OP, objectively, your best move is to not do anything this cycle and apply for next year. By then, you'll have (presumably, since you will have studied) a better LSAT or at least an LSAT you can be more confident reflects your ability.

I see a risk in applying this year in that regardless of what happens, you will not be making a choice from your best set of available options. You are definitely in better position applying in September with a 165, for instance, than you are trying to scramble in the summer to get $ and a good acceptance somewhere in June.

JimmyConway

New

Post by JimmyConway » Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:37 pm

a URM female with a 170+ has a decent shot ti get into Columbia or NYU

fliptrip

Gold

Post by fliptrip » Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:42 pm

JimmyConway wrote:a URM female with a 170+ has a decent shot ti get into Columbia or NYU
Agree if OP had at least a 3.0, but a 2.8, that's another matter entirely. OP, I'd definitely make sure that I had a GPA explanation included in any app I submitted. Adcomms are far less forgiving on GPAs than they are on LSATs, so you will want to make it clear to them that you have the habits and discipline necessary to do well in school and the profession.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

maraschino

New

Post by maraschino » Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:04 pm

I decided to wait until next cycle. Studying my ass off for the June LSAT, shooting for 170+. T14 is my goal.

I will be including a GPA addendum. I had a severe medical condition for the first 2 years of college. After I recovered, I averaged a stable 3.3 for the last 4 years of college (I was a part-time student working full time).

My old philosophy professor is helping me put a great application together and he's helped multiple students of his gain acceptance to Harvard, Columbia etc. I believe I have an interesting background and would bring a unique perspective to any law school I attend. I'm really happy that you guys think I have a shot. I'll update as soon as I have my June scores.

I'm not expecting to even be considered by Columbia/NYU because of my GPA. I thought Northwestern was the only T14 that really favored URM's with work experience. And maybe Georgetown. Do you guys think it's worth a couple applications anyways?

fliptrip

Gold

Post by fliptrip » Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:17 pm

Great! Good luck to you.

Cavetold

New

Post by Cavetold » Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:40 pm

maraschino wrote:

Thanks for your input!
Seems highly unlikely, not the score but the after one practice exam part. Sure you want to be a lawyer?

maraschino

New

Post by maraschino » Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:43 pm

I wasn't when I took the first LSAT but I am now. :mrgreen:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Commode, Emeritus

New

Post by Commode, Emeritus » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:47 am

All you have going for yourself is URM.

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:55 am

You should apply to everywhere in the t-14.

fliptrip

Gold

Post by fliptrip » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:17 am

Commode, Emeritus wrote:All you have going for yourself is URM.
That's a broad statement if I've ever seen one.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “What are my chances?”