3.02/161 Chances at UT Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Lynched.Pin

New

3.02/161 Chances at UT

Post by Lynched.Pin » Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:42 pm

Took the October LSAT. Results underwhelming. I've been PT'ing around 168 for the last handful of tests. Texas native, attended different UT school than the T14. Planning a retake in Feb (stupidly missed the deadline for December just two days ago). I'd like to get as close to 170 before applying, but I wanted to get a quick gauge.

URM (MA)
+ Female
Softs: Studied Abroad twice. Speak 4 languages (English included). President of Student Org. Officer of another. Two degrees under a BA belt. Successful career for the past 3 years (Marketing). Overwhelming volunteer experience.

Reasons for law: I'd like my hourly rate to accurately reflect how hard I work for a change. I'm not here to milk the clock. I just want a fulfilling job that goes above people's preferences for off-white packaging and provides a utility.

It looks like there's no chance of getting into UT with my disappointing numbers. Can I expect any leniency with the above information?

Retake is going to happen, folks. So save your fingers the time it takes to type that.

Lynched.Pin

New

Re: 3.02/161 Chances at UT

Post by Lynched.Pin » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:23 pm

What if I throw my money at TTTT applications and see who bites? I mean a full bite. None of this nibbling crap.

OR

Maybe I should wait until standards plummet even further and ride this career out a bit. I'm starting to forget I had a soul before I entered the consumerist void.

BasilHallward

Silver

Post by BasilHallward » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:42 pm

1) Standards are not likely to drop much
2) You are a URM, so throw an app at UT, but it's unlikely mainly because of your GPA
3) Focus on your retake; a 165+ gives you a better shot

Lynched.Pin

New

Post by Lynched.Pin » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:35 pm

BasilHallward wrote:1) Standards are not likely to drop much
2) You are a URM, so throw an app at UT, but it's unlikely mainly because of your GPA
So now I don't get paid as much as men, nor do I get special treatment as a woman. What is the world coming to!?

Lul. I figured. Thanks for the honesty. I'll try harder this time.

totesTheGoat

Silver

Post by totesTheGoat » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:37 pm

Lynched.Pin wrote:What if I throw my money at TTTT applications and see who bites? I mean a full bite. None of this nibbling crap.
Lynched.Pin wrote: Reasons for law: I'd like my hourly rate to accurately reflect how hard I work for a change.
The above two quotes are practically mutually exclusive. You can get a full bite, but with your current stats you're gonna be at a school that gives you an uphill struggle to get a job making over $75k. Not saying it can't be done, but it certainly won't be easy.
I'm starting to forget I had a soul before I entered the consumerist void.
Lynched.Pin wrote: Reasons for law: I'd like my hourly rate to accurately reflect how hard I work for a change.
Again, practically mutually exclusive. Any law job making a large salary is going to suck your soul away much faster than a "consumerist void."

It all depends on what you consider a fair salary. In many law jobs, you can count on 60+ hours per week on a regular basis and high stress. Would you be happy with $50-75k for that? Would you require at least $100k? Is law school not worth it to you unless you get that $160k big law job?

I think you're on the right track by retaking. Retake and see if you can get around 170. Also, think about where you want your law degree to get you, and see if it's a reasonable goal.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lynched.Pin

New

Post by Lynched.Pin » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:46 pm

totesTheGoat wrote: Any law job making a large salary is going to suck your soul away much faster than a "consumerist void."
I disagree. I think my current lack of soul puts me at an advantage to relinquish the shreds that remain.
totesTheGoat wrote: It all depends on what you consider a fair salary. In many law jobs, you can count on 60+ hours per week on a regular basis and high stress. Would you be happy with $50-75k for that? Would you require at least $100k? Is law school not worth it to you unless you get that $160k big law job?
If it wasn't for the crippling debt of law school, I'd take the 50k a in heartbeat. Of course, my heart is also set on corporate contract law - which means I have to be somewhat concerned with prestige. I speak Chinese and have a hand currently in our manufacturing practices internationally, which I think carves out a nice little niche. Business experience, however, does not equal good lawyer and is a dilemma I am still resolving.

Troianii

Silver

Post by Troianii » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:47 pm

Lynched.Pin wrote:
BasilHallward wrote:1) Standards are not likely to drop much
So now I don't get paid as much as men, nor do I get special treatment as a woman. What is the world coming to!?

Lul. I figured. Thanks for the honesty. I'll try harder this time.

Haha, I hope you're just joshing (looks like you are), b/c single women under 30 w/o kids out earn comparable men, by large margins. Women actually get a huge boost over men at finding jobs in certain fields (like engineering) because of the gender gap, but the gender gap doesn't likewise benefit men - K-12 schools aren't clamoring for male teachers despite the overwhelming dominance of women, nor are hospitals offering especially nice incentive packages to bring on male nurses. Law is a middling profession - it's pretty well balanced gender wise, so you won't get any boost.

And your pay is always going to be based on your performance, excluding nepotism (which is huge in law, but has nothing to do with gender). The wage gap is a myth created by bad accounting that fails to account for variables.

But yeah, you currently have a slim chance at UT with your numbers, but you'll want to boost your LSAT if you want to apply with a better than 50% chance of getting in. It's a good school that isn't given enough credit - and I hope you like football. :D best of luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”