3.5, Pure Math, 179, Canadian Aboriginal Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
CalMc

New

3.5, Pure Math, 179, Canadian Aboriginal

Post by CalMc » Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:45 am

Hi everyone,

So I'm in pure math, with a year remaining in my undergrad at one of the better known Canadian schools (U of T or McGill, would prefer to not say which) and have a 3.5.

It's an incredibly rigorous program where almost all of us, in my track, go on to do PhDs with somewhere between a 3.0 to 3.7. I know that doesn't matter for law school, but just context that the GPA will not rise over the next year and I'm incredibly proud of where it stands (even though that's of no consequence when admission GPA averages are what they are). I took the LSAT, based off of a variation of the three month plan here (but over four months) and scored 179.

Some quick ECs:
  • Spent a summer doing immunology research, which also brought me into the operating room for hundreds of hours
  • Have worked with the (Canadian) Federal government on large grants for Aborigianl causes
  • Spent a summer at a US investment bank in S&T (GS, JP Morgan, or Morgan Stanley)
  • Played hockey competitively until Freshman year
No publications or big awards (not that the goal has been to achieve either). I'm also Canadian Aborigianl - non-status, don't want to be status for the sake of law school - which I'm still unsure of how that's viewed in American admissions. I've searched the forums and there are very few threads on it.

I know my GPA is very low, and probably can't be overly compensated for by a high LSAT, but am curious if anyone can flesh out my chances.

Lawdood

New

Re: 3.5, Pure Math, 179, Canadian Aboriginal

Post by Lawdood » Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:04 am

You'll definitely get in at some of the T14, maybe even Harvard.

CalMc

New

Post by CalMc » Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:12 am

I've been reading many T-14 admissions threads - because they're fascinating and very enjoyable - and a big takeaway has been that nothing really mitigates a GPA that is (unfortunately) this low. I believe for most of the T-14 my GPA would be below the 10th percentile and on LSN I see very few, if any, folks who get in with a 3.4-3.6 irrespective of their LSAT score.

At this point I have nothing to lose by applying I guess, but is my GPA less of a factor than I believe it is?

EDIT: Thanks very much for taking the time to reply, by the way.

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:22 am

mylsn.info

Traynor Brah

Silver

Post by Traynor Brah » Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:23 am

do you have some really compelling reason to go to an american law school? even going to harvard law is probably on the less desirable end of your career prospects. I'd pretty strongly advise trying out another path first; law school will always be there.

but killer score dude, no school is out of the running for you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CalMc

New

Post by CalMc » Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:35 am

Mack.Hambleton wrote:mylsn.info
Thanks. I looked, even though there's a very small sample size with my divergent scores, but part of my question is how I will be viewed as a non-status Canadian Aboriginal (perhaps a better question for each school directly, but thought someone might have some insight).

CalMc

New

Post by CalMc » Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:40 am

Traynor Brah wrote:do you have some really compelling reason to go to an american law school? even going to harvard law is probably on the less desirable end of your career prospects. I'd pretty strongly advise trying out another path first; law school will always be there.

Thanks very much. I've churned through a lot of prospective careers and have been fortunate/lucky enough to have had immersive experiences in many of these areas. I do have very specific reasons for going south of the border. Still a bit surprised no one is viewing my GPA as being a large, consequential impediment to getting into a T-14 school. Is my LSAT really enough with a final GPA that will likely be between 3.45-3.55 when I'm done my undergrad?

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:52 am

CalMc wrote:
Thanks. I looked, even though there's a very small sample size with my divergent scores, but part of my question is how I will be viewed as a non-status Canadian Aboriginal (perhaps a better question for each school directly, but thought someone might have some insight).
Probably won't affect anything

CalMc

New

Post by CalMc » Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:55 am

Mack.Hambleton wrote:
CalMc wrote:
Thanks for the quick reply.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

PoopNpants

Silver

Post by PoopNpants » Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:11 am

Have fun at Harvard dude

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:47 am

CalMc wrote:
Traynor Brah wrote:do you have some really compelling reason to go to an american law school? even going to harvard law is probably on the less desirable end of your career prospects. I'd pretty strongly advise trying out another path first; law school will always be there.

Thanks very much. I've churned through a lot of prospective careers and have been fortunate/lucky enough to have had immersive experiences in many of these areas. I do have very specific reasons for going south of the border. Still a bit surprised no one is viewing my GPA as being a large, consequential impediment to getting into a T-14 school. Is my LSAT really enough with a final GPA that will likely be between 3.45-3.55 when I'm done my undergrad?
Not sure what you're looking at but people get into every non-HYS T14 with GPAs like yours. At this point you're basically guaranteed Columbia and NYU and very likely in at a few others. And Harvard is a real possibility if you get some solid LORs and put together a strong application.

Are you sure you can't take any easy classes to pad the GPA? It probably won't make much of a difference at this point, but every little bit helps.

CalMc

New

Post by CalMc » Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:48 am

PoopNpants wrote:Have fun at Harvard dude
Thanks for the reply. Surprised at how confident people seem to be given that TLS is full of talk of people with 180s not getting into HYS (often because of their GPAs, I assume).

CalMc

New

Post by CalMc » Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:51 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:
CalMc wrote:

Not sure what you're looking at but people get into every non-HYS T14 with GPAs like yours. At this point you're basically guaranteed Columbia and NYU and very likely in at a few others. And Harvard is a real possibility if you get some solid LORs and put together a strong application.

Are you sure you can't take any easy classes to pad the GPA? It probably won't make much of a difference at this point, but every little bit helps.
If I had to bet I'd say my GPA will sink lower, not higher. I'm doing this all accelerated - so there will be no electives, five courses a term going towards pure math - as I started off in a life science degree back when I wanted to be a doctor.

Is there a reason why people keep talking about Harvard, rather than Yale and Stanford? Are they less inclined to take someone with this low of a GPA, irrespective of LSAT, etc.?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:55 am

yeah Harvard has a much bigger class so they can't be as picky. In order to maintain their 173 LSAT median Harvard needs to take a few relatively low GPAs. Stanford and Yale are worth applications but are much less likely.

PoopNpants

Silver

Post by PoopNpants » Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:56 am

CalMc wrote:
PoopNpants wrote:Have fun at Harvard dude
Thanks for the reply. Surprised at how confident people seem to be given that TLS is full of talk of people with 180s not getting into HYS (often because of their GPAs, I assume).
With a great application and that LSAT score I think you stand a good chance at getting H. Even though your not a "URM" and won't get said boost, be sure to write a diversity statement about being an aboriginal. I used to spend my summers up in Canada with relatives and I'd liken their situation to native Americans in our country to some extent. I'd apply to the entire T6 and some T14s that interest you as well.

Ron Howard

Bronze

Post by Ron Howard » Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:57 am

CalMc wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
CalMc wrote:

If I had to bet I'd say my GPA will sink lower, not higher. I'm doing this all accelerated - so there will be no electives, five courses a term going towards pure math - as I started off in a life science degree back when I wanted to be a doctor.

Is there a reason why people keep talking about Harvard, rather than Yale and Stanford? Are they less inclined to take someone with this low of a GPA, irrespective of LSAT, etc.?

Yale and Stanford are extremely unpredictable, and small differences in initial conditions can yield widely different outcomes. They also care more about GPA.

baal hadad

Gold

Post by baal hadad » Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:58 am

Do finance

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

CalMc

New

Post by CalMc » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:02 pm

baal hadad wrote:Do finance
Am hoping to do move onto something where I'll (slightly?) hate my life less than during my time as a trader.

Was very hopeful it'd work out, and had a fantastic opportunity, but is certainly not something I'm inclined towards anymore.

CalMc

New

Post by CalMc » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:03 pm

Ron Howard wrote:Yale and Stanford are extremely unpredictable, and small differences in initial conditions can yield widely different outcomes. They also care more about GPA.
Thanks for clarifying.

CalMc

New

Post by CalMc » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:05 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:yeah Harvard has a much bigger class so they can't be as picky. In order to maintain their 173 LSAT median Harvard needs to take a few relatively low GPAs. Stanford and Yale are worth applications but are much less likely.
Thanks for clarifying. Too bad as Yale would, like for many I'm sure, be the dream choice. Wasn't overly bullish on any T6 working out period, though.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:24 pm

Depending on your cultural connections to your aboriginal community, I suspect that would provide at least some boost.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

stego

Platinum

Post by stego » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:27 pm

Confused about why OP doesn't qualify as URM. I don't know much about it but assume being a non-status Indian in Canadian is similar to being a Native American who isn't enrolled in a federally recognized tribe in the US.

Would US law schools really give a NA boost to members of federally recognized tribes in the US but not to members of First Nations tribes in Canada?

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:55 pm

stasg wrote:Confused about why OP doesn't qualify as URM. I don't know much about it but assume being a non-status Indian in Canadian is similar to being a Native American who isn't enrolled in a federally recognized tribe in the US.

Would US law schools really give a NA boost to members of federally recognized tribes in the US but not to members of First Nations tribes in Canada?
URM and international are two separate categories.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:57 pm

This has been debated quite a bit on this forum; there is some anecdotal evidence that foreign students have received some URM boost. I don't think the evidence is definitive either way.

Iwanttolawschool

Bronze

Post by Iwanttolawschool » Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:02 pm

CalMc wrote:
Mack.Hambleton wrote:
CalMc wrote:
Thanks for the quick reply.

Canadian Aboriginal is considered an URM. It will be a boost. As long as you put together a good PS and don't come across as a prick, you got at least one of HYS

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”