3.68/169, K-JD Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Lawcat11

Bronze

3.68/169, K-JD

Post by Lawcat11 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:36 pm

Hi,

I am currently a rising senior in a top 30 liberal arts college. I was planning on applying to law school straight out of college since I am a philosophy major (and therefore a bit pessimistic about job prospects) but I got a pretty disappointing LSAT score in June and need to retake in October. I studied for several months and as averaging 174 on my last dozen or so PTs. I got a 169 in June and was shocked because I felt pretty confident about it afterwards. My LSAC GPA is 3.68.

I know these aren't the worst numbers ever, but prior to getting my LSAT score I was envisioning getting decent money at a T14 and now I'm not really sure where I stand. Again, I am retaking in October but I want to be prepared for if I don't improve. For softs, I have worked at least 20 hours per week (now averaging about 25-30) each semester and have had a few random summer internships. I guess what I'm really asking is whether it would be best to try for some work experience after graduation- I will be graduating with almost 30k of debt and a rather useless major, so I was actually hoping to avoid this.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Re: 3.68/169, K-JD

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:09 pm

Make sure you actually want to be a lawyer, and it's not just a solution to having a liberal arts degree and no plan.

You were PTing 174, retake until you get that if you do want to be a lawyer.

And yes not being KJD would be very valuable in allowing you time to retake and figure out if you want to go or not.

Hat.trick

Bronze

Post by Hat.trick » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:18 pm

Retake your lsat in october like you plan to. Being K-JD isn't a bad thing. But even if you tank your retake, you still have solid numbers.

Hornet2011

Bronze

Post by Hornet2011 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:23 pm

First of all like other posters said retake and see how you do in Oct. If you still think you can improve see about Dec.

Also your numbers aren't bad at all. If you check myLSN you should see that you are likely to get "decent" money at lower T14 schools.

Like you said you have student loan debt outstanding that will only be accruing interest as a K-JD. Therefore unless you get close to a full ride (or whatever you consider to be a reasonable debt load) you could always work for a couple years, live cheaply, and work off that debt. how bad are your job prospects? I know plenty of people like you who found 40k - 50k jobs with a similar background who really hustled at it. If you continue to live like a college student that debt will be gone by the time your ready to go to law school

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”