D1 student athlete with not-great stats Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
CanadianWolf

Diamond

Re: D1 student athlete with not-great stats

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:43 am

OP: As an example that admission to higher ranked law schools is not unrealistic with a 164 LSAT & non-URM status, the poster on another thread was admitted to Chicago with a 164 LSAT score, although his GPA was a 3.94 as calculated by LSDAS. Recent graduate of the Univ. of Texas deciding between Northwestern & Chicago. So Georgetown is very possible with your numbers, but would be too expensive to consider seriously even if admitted.
Focus on scholarships or on retaking the LSAT.

Clemenceau

Silver

Post by Clemenceau » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:03 am

CanadianWolf wrote:OP: As an example that admission to higher ranked law schools is not unrealistic with a 164 LSAT & non-URM status, the poster on another thread was admitted to Chicago with a 164 LSAT score, although his GPA was a 3.94 as calculated by LSDAS. Recent graduate of the Univ. of Texas deciding between Northwestern & Chicago. So Georgetown is very possible with your numbers, but would be too expensive to consider seriously even if admitted.
Lol. And you just got pissy with me for using LSN. You gotta be kidding

hbartlett

New

Post by hbartlett » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:04 am

Last edited by hbartlett on Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:05 am

Clemenceau wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:OP: As an example that admission to higher ranked law schools is not unrealistic with a 164 LSAT & non-URM status, the poster on another thread was admitted to Chicago with a 164 LSAT score, although his GPA was a 3.94 as calculated by LSDAS. Recent graduate of the Univ. of Texas deciding between Northwestern & Chicago. So Georgetown is very possible with your numbers, but would be too expensive to consider seriously even if admitted.
Lol. And you just got pissy with me for using LSN. You gotta be kidding
I'm so confused by this wolf character and the incessant posting as well.

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:06 am

hbartlett wrote:Thanks for the advice and responses. I would ideally like to live and work in a metropolitan area on the east coast (Boston, New York, Philly, or DC) but I'm unsure of my specific career goals. CanadianWolf, do you think a school like Boston College or Boston University would give me decent/solid job prospects in Boston? I know I'd be able to get money from UF and FSU (not to mention the desirable in-state tuition) but I really don't want to live or work in Florida. I definitely understand why everyone advises a retake and I am considering it, but I probably wouldn't be able to take it again before June of 2016 with my schedule. I am trying to avoid waiting a year.
Waiting a year is better than ending up with a lot of debt and no job...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:49 am

Yes, BC & BU do place well in Boston. Worthwhile if you're able to get full tuition scholarships. Need to check with current BU & BC law students as to their opinions on the perceived need to ties to the region for placement purposes. Notre Dame could be an interesting option for you as well if you get substantial scholarship dollars.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:54 am

@Clemenceau: Sorry that you were proven wrong. LSN is too small a sample & there is no verification of those reporting their numbers on LSN. In fact, several TLS posters have written that they slightly altered their numbers on LSN to avoid being identified.

P.S. Easy to see why two young know-it-alls would be confused by someone posting with a different perspective. Sorry for intruding upon your territory.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:01 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:@Clemenceau: Sorry that you were proven wrong. LSN is too small a sample & there is no verification of those reporting their numbers on LSN. In fact, several TLS posters have written that they slightly altered their numbers on LSN to avoid being identified.
There is no sense in which he was proven wrong.

This is basic reading comp.

He said something like less than a 3.7 AND less than a 165. Someone with a 3.9 isn't in that category, even if they have a 164.

Not only does this example not disprove his argument, it's not even relevant to the OP. Chicago specifically loves high GPAs, a fact that will do nothing for the admissions chances of someone with a 3.65.
Last edited by landshoes on Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:03 pm

And there are exceptions everywhere.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:04 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:@Clemenceau: Sorry that you were proven wrong. LSN is too small a sample & there is no verification of those reporting their numbers on LSN. In fact, several TLS posters have written that they slightly altered their numbers on LSN to avoid being identified.

P.S. Easy to see why two young know-it-alls would be confused by someone posting with a different perspective. Sorry for intruding upon your territory.
Some people fudge stats in threads, too, for the same reasons.

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:13 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:And there are exceptions everywhere.

Ok and I don't disagree with you about law school numbers not being comprehensive. I just find your example irrelevant. GULC has a 25th percentile LSAT of 163 so there are obviously people who get in with 164s. My guess is that a lot of those people are propping up the GPA medians or they're URMs or both, and that a 3.65 won't cut it or she'd be looking at sticker.

Effingham

Bronze

Post by Effingham » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:17 pm

As you already know, this likely won't help you in applying. But this is one of those softs that are awesome for interviewing at OCI, so don't think it's entirely useless.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”