Do K-JD applicants have a chance at JD-MBA programs? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
emilymoore04

New

Do K-JD applicants have a chance at JD-MBA programs?

Post by emilymoore04 » Fri May 29, 2015 12:04 pm

Just curious.

xiao_long

New

Re: Do K-JD applicants have a chance at JD-MBA programs?

Post by xiao_long » Fri May 29, 2015 12:24 pm

emilymoore04 wrote:Just curious.
Yes! Provided in college you founded a tech startup that raised at least $10 million in venture capital funding. I would recommend doing the JD at Yale and the MBA at Harvard - best of both worlds! :lol:

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Fri May 29, 2015 12:57 pm

emilymoore04 wrote:Just curious.
Asking for a friend I assume.

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Fri May 29, 2015 4:15 pm

Nah dont do that

kartelite

Bronze

Post by kartelite » Fri May 29, 2015 4:41 pm

While I realize some top MBA programs do admit a handful of applicants straight out of college, that's just not a good idea if you're looking to get any value out of the MBA experience. Better to get your JD, work a few years and then go back for your MBA. If you go as a K-MBA you'll pretty much approach it like undergrad or law school, in which case you're totally missing the point. And it will probably be hard to fit in with people in their mid-20s to early 30s who have a lot more experience (particularly concentrated in certain industries if you go to a top school).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

antiworldly

Bronze

Post by antiworldly » Fri May 29, 2015 4:42 pm

What will an MBA add to your package when you go to apply for jobs? The reason that MBA programs require work experience is that the subject matter in and of itself isn't terribly difficult or useful unless you have a system to apply it to, and those applications have minimal overlap with law for most students. If you're looking to just buff up your resume or are interested in business, get a job for a few years before law school, it'll add more to your employability than an MBA will. If you've been helping run a mid sized family business part time since you turned 18 and a MBA combined with a JD would set you up to handle the upper level tasks for running a business of that size, I'd question why you'd need the JD but you should be able to get into a combined JD/MBA program as a kJD.

Clemenceau

Silver

Post by Clemenceau » Fri May 29, 2015 4:45 pm

At some crappy school that just wants more of your tuition money, ya I bet they'll take k-jds into a jd/mba program.

At one of the very few schools where a jd/mba could maybe kinda be considered defensible, no shot they take k-jds.

hicrhodus

New

Post by hicrhodus » Fri May 29, 2015 5:05 pm

I know a number of K-JD students at my T6 who were admitted to the 4-year JD/MBA program at the business school after 2 years of law school fwiw. I don't really know what the MBA will get them in terms of increased job opportunities, however (they all spent their 2L summers at biglaw).

emilymoore04

New

Post by emilymoore04 » Sat May 30, 2015 6:14 pm

Thanks everyone! I'm not planning on doing a JD/MBA (wouldn't be worth the time/money with the law I want to practice), but I was just curious since I've seen a lot of information about doing such a program online.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”