Removed Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
FearTheBeard86

New

Removed

Post by FearTheBeard86 » Fri May 22, 2015 1:50 am

Removed
Last edited by FearTheBeard86 on Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

kevgogators

Bronze

Re: Veteran with a 3.6 GPA. Do I need a 170+?

Post by kevgogators » Fri May 22, 2015 2:17 am

FearTheBeard86 wrote:Hi all!

I am an 8 year Navy veteran and I am entering my senior year at a great private university in Boston. I'm taking the LSAT in October and will be applying to law school as soon as my score is out. I just wanted to see what you all thought my chances were if I do well on the LSAT this October. I'm applying to T14 but ideally I want HLS, YLS, or Columbia. I am taking the Kaplan prep class this summer to prepare. I transferred from a community college with a near 4.0 and have a 3.52 currently at my school (GPA didn't transfer with credits) and I'm expecting to apply with. 3.6+ once the LSAC gets all my transcripts. I'm double majoring in Poli Sci, International Relations, and minoring in History. I am also writing an Honors IR thesis this year and am expecting to be on the Dean's List after this past semester (3 A's, 2 A-'s for a 3.88 semester). Do I still need a 170+ LSAT? Obviously I will be aiming for the best possible score. I've also interned for Congressmen and studied abroad in Geneva since being back in school. Sorry for the huge paragraph! Thanks!

Black, white, Hispanic or other?

FearTheBeard86

New

Removed

Post by FearTheBeard86 » Fri May 22, 2015 2:40 am

removed
Last edited by FearTheBeard86 on Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

still

Bronze

Post by still » Fri May 22, 2015 5:30 am

from what i've gathered military experience is one of the best possible softs to have (besides being urm)
you're gpa while good (surely a heck of alot better than mine) is still below the 25th percentile for hys which means at best you can be a splitter for them. As a splitter, you ideally want your lsat to be above the school's 75th percentile (176 and 175 respectively for yale and stanford)

even if you do get a nigh perfect lsat yale is gonna be very tough. its the most competitive law school with a much smaller class size than harvard.
harvard i'd say you have a solid chance with an lsat above their median (173 for c/o 2017)

columbia you have a great chance with any lsat 170+

good luck!

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Fri May 22, 2015 9:35 am

Getting one number up to or above a school's medians is really important even for a veteran. Since your GPA isn't above any medians you'll want to be up around 170 to see much success in the T-14. But if you reach that target you should do really well.

The reviews on Kaplan are not good, so be prepared to put in some real effort on your own.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RunnerRunner

Bronze

Post by RunnerRunner » Fri May 22, 2015 10:08 am

Yeah, veteran status may make places care less about a below 25th gpa, but probably only if you have a good enough LSAT. Try and hit those 75ths, or at least medians. Thanks for your service and good luck!

TasmanianToucan

Silver

Post by TasmanianToucan » Fri May 22, 2015 10:36 am

It's still all about the LSAT. Schools need to report those scores to the ABA, not how many veterans they admit. Sad but true.

Thanks for your service and best of luck to you!

navykev

Bronze

Post by navykev » Fri May 22, 2015 11:00 am

I am an 8 year Navy veteran and I am entering my senior year at a great private university in Boston. I'm taking the LSAT in October and will be applying to law school as soon as my score is out. I just wanted to see what you all thought my chances were if I do well on the LSAT this October. I'm applying to T14 but ideally I want HLS, YLS, or Columbia. I am taking the Kaplan prep class this summer to prepare. I transferred from a community college with a near 4.0 and have a 3.52 currently at my school (GPA didn't transfer with credits) and I'm expecting to apply with. 3.6+ once the LSAC gets all my transcripts. I'm double majoring in Poli Sci, International Relations, and minoring in History. I am also writing an Honors IR thesis this year and am expecting to be on the Dean's List after this past semester (3 A's, 2 A-'s for a 3.88 semester). Do I still need a 170+ LSAT? Obviously I will be aiming for the best possible score. I've also interned for Congressmen and studied abroad in Geneva since being back in school. Sorry for the huge paragraph! Thanks!
Come over to the vet thread - you're getting some advice here that is spot on and some not so spot on. Lots of different dynamics come into play for vets - come get it from the source - other vets that have first hand experience with the specific nuances of the vet bump in the law school application process.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... start=1925

Malta

New

Post by Malta » Mon May 25, 2015 7:45 pm

navykev wrote:

Come over to the vet thread - you're getting some advice here that is spot on and some not so spot on. Lots of different dynamics come into play for vets - come get it from the source - other vets that have first hand experience with the specific nuances of the vet bump in the law school application process.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... start=1925
Spot on, go to vet thread

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MURPH

Silver

Post by MURPH » Mon May 25, 2015 11:02 pm

In 2010 I got into UCLA with a 3.0 and 175 and army experience.

dnptan

Bronze

Post by dnptan » Tue May 26, 2015 6:57 pm

Military service is probably the best soft out there (alongside AA URM). Still, a 3.6 is below HYS' 25th percentile. A neat 170 will likely get you into Columbia and WLd at one+ of HYS.

171-173 will be pretty solid for H/S, with a decent chance of you getting in and almost guaranteed slot on their WL

Score a 174+ if you want Yale. Great for H/S as well pretty sure you can get in one of those 2 (direct or via WL) with a 174+. But at that level there are no guarantees. It depends on your class makeup. If you're unlucky and a bunch of vets apply...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”