Super splitter 2.5 GPA/ 177 LSAT Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
superbeta

New

Super splitter 2.5 GPA/ 177 LSAT

Post by superbeta » Fri May 01, 2015 7:10 am

I've asked this before on this page, but I'm actually getting ready to apply this fall so here we go. My LSDAS gpa is 2.5, my LSAT is 177. Super splitter. Huge upward trend on GPA (two stints separated by several years), ran own small business (restaurant) in downtime.

Where should I apply? What T-14s do you think I have a real shot at, if any?

Law school predictor and matcher haven't been updated for years, so they aren't much use.

Indy16

Bronze

Re: Super splitter 2.5 GPA/ 177 LSAT

Post by Indy16 » Fri May 01, 2015 7:45 am

superbeta wrote:I've asked this before on this page, but I'm actually getting ready to apply this fall so here we go. My LSDAS gpa is 2.5, my LSAT is 177. Super splitter. Huge upward trend on GPA (two stints separated by several years), ran own small business (restaurant) in downtime.

Where should I apply? What T-14s do you think I have a real shot at, if any?

Law school predictor and matcher haven't been updated for years, so they aren't much use.
Interesting work experience may be a plus. HYSCCN are most likely out, but I'd probably apply to CCN anyways because a 177 is phenomenal (congrats btw).

I'd bet you get some bites, but you really are a super splitter so it's difficult to tell. It's good you got work experience to distance yourself from that GPA and addenda will be a pretty big deal.

Check out mylsn.info for chances, you'll probably have to really fiddle with the numbers to see anything of use.

swampman

Bronze

Post by swampman » Fri May 01, 2015 8:35 am

Yep. Apply everywhere CCN and down. No use worrying about odds/chances at a given school, focus on putting together a strong application.

You should have a chat with Spivey Consulting or another admissions consultant. Sounds like you're exactly the type of person who could benefit from having really strong essay/supplemental material, and I think having a pro help you with your app would more than pay off in terms of scholarships.

Wipfelder

Silver

Post by Wipfelder » Fri May 01, 2015 8:45 am

swampman wrote:Yep. Apply everywhere CCN and down. No use worrying about odds/chances at a given school, focus on putting together a strong application.

You should have a chat with Spivey Consulting or another admissions consultant. Sounds like you're exactly the type of person who could benefit from having really strong essay/supplemental material, and I think having a pro help you with your app would more than pay off in terms of scholarships.
This is 100% correct. I did this and it was a stupidly-good decision.

TheProdigal

Silver

Post by TheProdigal » Fri May 01, 2015 8:50 am

Wipfelder wrote:
swampman wrote:Yep. Apply everywhere CCN and down. No use worrying about odds/chances at a given school, focus on putting together a strong application.

This is 100% correct. I did this and it was a stupidly-good decision.
+1.

You need to spin all that WE into the best possible light for an industry/education system you're standing on the outside of.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

superbeta

New

Post by superbeta » Fri May 01, 2015 10:37 am

Also: I'll be 36 when applying to law school. How could this affect my cycle?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri May 01, 2015 10:46 am

superbeta wrote:Also: I'll be 36 when applying to law school. How could this affect my cycle?
It won't matter. There are a lot of career-changers and people coming to law later in life for various reasons. Anecdotally I'm told some schools have more non-trads than others and that can affect each school's culture, but there's no evidence that there's any prejudice in admissions. To the extent it gives you interesting things to talk about in an application, it can help (to the extent factors besides numbers come into play).

strugglebus

Bronze

Post by strugglebus » Fri May 01, 2015 6:03 pm

superbeta wrote:Also: I'll be 36 when applying to law school. How could this affect my cycle?
The WE and upward trend could help you outperform the GPA at least somewhat

Clyde Frog

Platinum

Post by Clyde Frog » Fri May 01, 2015 9:58 pm

Go for it this fall. I think the odds are in your favor since the number of lsat takers is falling, thus the number of people that score 177+ is also dropping.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”