0L -- Can I still back out of a deposit I placed on a school Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
GameOfLoans

New

0L -- Can I still back out of a deposit I placed on a school

Post by GameOfLoans » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:52 pm

I overstepped when putting down a deposit for a second choice school [School A] that I negotiated to six figures for and now am learning I should be getting a similar offer from my first choice school [School B]. I put down the first deposit initially for School A and I accepted their financial aid offer online and I really don't know how to engage the situation. My law advisor has been useless and I was hoping someone here may have some insight on how to approach this. I am not sure if I am bound to School A. I'm not looking for a refund here, just want to know: Will I be able to smoothly accept an offer from School B or will I have to ask School A to take me off of their roster first; are there any steps I need to take to ensure I can receive financial aid from School B if I choose to attend (as I have accepted financial aid from School A already)?

hearsay77

Silver

Re: 0L -- Can I still back out of a deposit I placed on a school

Post by hearsay77 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:45 am

GameOfLoans wrote:I overstepped when putting down a deposit for a second choice school [School A] that I negotiated to six figures for and now am learning I should be getting a similar offer from my first choice school [School B]. I put down the first deposit initially for School A and I accepted their financial aid offer online and I really don't know how to engage the situation. My law advisor has been useless and I was hoping someone here may have some insight on how to approach this. I am not sure if I am bound to School A. I'm not looking for a refund here, just want to know: Will I be able to smoothly accept an offer from School B or will I have to ask School A to take me off of their roster first; are there any steps I need to take to ensure I can receive financial aid from School B if I choose to attend (as I have accepted financial aid from School A already)?
Negotiate with school B immediately, and check whatever contract/agreement/forms you signed when you deposited at school A to see what the school's terms were and if they prevent you from double depositing.

fisheatbananas

Bronze

Post by fisheatbananas » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:28 am

Wait, what? Sorry if I'm wrong and I haven't done this but, I thought you could pay the deposit at as many schools that accepted you as you want, as long as you're ok with it being non-refundable.

JFO1833

Bronze

Post by JFO1833 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:19 am

fisheatbananas wrote:Wait, what? Sorry if I'm wrong and I haven't done this but, I thought you could pay the deposit at as many schools that accepted you as you want, as long as you're ok with it being non-refundable.
I believe this is true in a majority but definitely not all cases. Some schools expect you to withdraw all other accepted applications (not waitlisted or pending-decision) when you accept their offer of admission. There is something called the LSAC Deposit Overlap Service that allows schools to find out if you have more than one deposit.

This is a read-the-fine-print situation.

fisheatbananas

Bronze

Post by fisheatbananas » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:13 pm

JFO1833 wrote:
fisheatbananas wrote:Wait, what? Sorry if I'm wrong and I haven't done this but, I thought you could pay the deposit at as many schools that accepted you as you want, as long as you're ok with it being non-refundable.
I believe this is true in a majority but definitely not all cases. Some schools expect you to withdraw all other accepted applications (not waitlisted or pending-decision) when you accept their offer of admission. There is something called the LSAC Deposit Overlap Service that allows schools to find out if you have more than one deposit.

This is a read-the-fine-print situation.
Ohh I see. Thanks for clarifying

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”