Masters withdrawal? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Possumfish

New

Masters withdrawal?

Post by Possumfish » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:05 pm

I am currently in a Masters program that has drastically reduced the number of courses offered in my area of study and due to this I will not be able to graduate in the two years that I had originally discussed with the faculty. I will be finishing my first year in May and do not have plans to come back due to a lack of funding. In one of my courses I am uncertain as to what my grade will be, right now it is on the cusp of a low B and possibly a C. I was wondering if it is better to finish the semester and risk the low grade or to withdraw from the program now and explain to admissions that I left because of the lack of courses/funding?

My undergrad GPA (LSAC) is a 3.83 and I will be taking the June 2015 LSAT.

homestyle28

Gold

Re: Masters withdrawal?

Post by homestyle28 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:20 pm

Possumfish wrote:I am currently in a Masters program that has drastically reduced the number of courses offered in my area of study and due to this I will not be able to graduate in the two years that I had originally discussed with the faculty. I will be finishing my first year in May and do not have plans to come back due to a lack of funding. In one of my courses I am uncertain as to what my grade will be, right now it is on the cusp of a low B and possibly a C. I was wondering if it is better to finish the semester and risk the low grade or to withdraw from the program now and explain to admissions that I left because of the lack of courses/funding?

My undergrad GPA (LSAC) is a 3.83 and I will be taking the June 2015 LSAT.
Unless your grad program is in a hard science area, that C is going to look bad. Not insurmountable b/c the adcoms will only marginally look at your MA transcript anyway...but I hope you have an explanation ready.

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:30 am

Withdraw, explain in an addendum that your program ran out of funding for you. Do not let the last grade you get before starting law school be a C if you can avoid it.

banjo

Silver

Post by banjo » Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:06 am

Make sure that the C doesn't appear on your transcript. Also make sure that your university doesn't convert withdrawals to an F or something weird like that. Your transcript should just be a bunch of W's with a short addendum.

LawsRUs

Gold

Post by LawsRUs » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:38 am

I'm sorry you are in this situation, but I would also recommend withdrawing.

Broncos15

Bronze

Post by Broncos15 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:57 pm

What do have to gain by keeping the course you are struggling in? It seems you are pretty set on leaving

Besides LSAT is your ticket for admission even with a 3.87 and it would give you more time to study. I would maximize your chances to do well one time, crush it in June and not have to retake

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”