Odds and Addendums Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
thebottlewriter

New

Odds and Addendums

Post by thebottlewriter » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:34 pm

I have 143 142 and most recently a 150 LSAT score and a 2.97 LSAC GPA
And just graduated last may from a UC, before that i transfered from a Community college with 3.2 and academic honors

The main schools I want to go to is Golden Gate

the LSAC calculator says I have a 75% chance for golden gate which is where I want to go, according to those numbers.

But I have a feeling that might be an overestimation because I had a bad last semester of college, I was trying to shuffle studying for the lsat, applying (Which i ended up postponing) and my grades suffered that last semester bringing below 3.0

Most of what i heard about writing addendum's is about explaining bad performance early on, not getting bad grades the last semester,

How should i explain this? without sounding whiny, or like I'm making excuses for just making some mistakes

Also I've been working at an immigration law office since I graduated, (not sure if that counts but its something i mention in passing in my personal statement)

Any advice is appreciated, harsh and constructive
Thanks

KMart

Gold

Re: Odds and Addendums

Post by KMart » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:35 pm

thebottlewriter wrote:Any advice is appreciated, harsh and constructive
You're not going to like what you hear.

thebottlewriter

New

Post by thebottlewriter » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:41 pm

I already have a job lined up with the firm I work with that isn't the issue. The issue is getting in.

malleus discentium

Silver

Post by malleus discentium » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:42 pm

thebottlewriter wrote:I already have a job lined up with the firm I work with that isn't the issue. The issue is getting in.
Doesn't matter. Don't go to law school. You have no outcomes that justify the debt you will have to take on to get a JD.

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:43 pm

malleus discentium wrote:
thebottlewriter wrote:I already have a job lined up with the firm I work with that isn't the issue. The issue is getting in.
Doesn't matter. Don't go to law school. You have no outcomes that justify the debt you will have to take on to get a JD.
If they're paying for your school then this stance changes.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RareExports

Silver

Post by RareExports » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:43 pm

The smart response is don't go to law school.

thebottlewriter

New

Post by thebottlewriter » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:48 pm

Yes they are helping me pay for it. If any of you have anything to help I would appreciate that.

I do not appreciate speeches telling me whether or not to go in the first place since I'm going to do it anyway.

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:50 pm

thebottlewriter wrote:Yes they are helping me pay for it. If any of you have anything to help I would appreciate that.

I do not appreciate speeches telling me whether or not to go in the first place since I'm going to do it anyway.
They are offering you advice, you just choose to not like it.

thebottlewriter

New

Post by thebottlewriter » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:02 pm

what about retaking the lsat again and taking a year off ?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:55 pm

You're pretty much right at their median statistics, I would think you would get in as is

Don't write an addendum saying you couldn't crack a 3.0 because you took the LSAT

This is one of the very worst law schools in the country and will likely be a black mark on any attempt to get employment going forward so make sure that their guarantee to pay for it is rock solid

I would also consider what will happen in the (very possible) scenario that you can't pass the bar. It's not just making sure that they pay for it, you also have 3 years of unemployment that might be held against you if you have to apply for a non-legal job.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:02 pm

You need to understand that Golden Gate is a terrible law school. If your current employer doesn't end up offering you a job (and make sure it's a job as an attorney) you would have a very hard time finding something else. If you have a rock-solid guarantee of a job in writing after you pass the bar, and they're paying for it, go for it I suppose. If either of these things aren't true, I don't think you should go. I know that's not what you want to hear, but it's true. If that job with your current firm falls through, you would be in a world of pain.

thebottlewriter

New

Post by thebottlewriter » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:19 pm

hmm what about the odds of transfering up from golden gate to to UC hastings?

Poptorts

Bronze

Post by Poptorts » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:21 pm

thebottlewriter wrote:hmm what about the odds of transfering up from golden gate to to UC hastings?
Do not go to any law school that you wouldn't want to graduate from.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Ron Don Volante

Silver

Post by Ron Don Volante » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:22 pm

As others have said, get this job offer in writing, and get their commitment to finance your education in writing. This is very possibly the absolute worst law school in the country; a guaranteed job offer w/ an entirely subsidized cost of attendance still would not get me to go, but I suppose if you met both of those criterion, I guess it's not suicide. It's still in all likelihood a very bad idea to attend, but I guess you're over that.

And as Zuck said, the above pgraph notwithstanding, you are still taking a huge risk: only 56 percent of grads pass the cali bar on their first attempt, and that's after the school kicks out 15-20% of the class for academic reasons (an absurdly high statistic). No offense, but with your LSAT score history, I don't think you can fairly assume you're going to be in the lucky 50% that passes the bar.

In sum, this is a bad idea. But if you get this employer to give a concrete commitment to paying and a paying job, and you have absolutely nothing better to do with you life, I still wouldn't do it, but whatever.

Ron Don Volante

Silver

Post by Ron Don Volante » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:27 pm

thebottlewriter wrote:hmm what about the odds of transfering up from golden gate to to UC hastings?
bad. Only 10% of the class transfers. That doesn't mean students like it at Golden Gate, it means that other shitty schools (like Hastings) have such a bad impression of Golden Gate that they won't even take its students who place in the top fifth.

And even if you would do this, hastings is a truly awful school and almost no situation could make attending it justifiable.

Isn't california a "read the law" state (ie "apprentices" can take the bar)? Sounds like that would be more up your alley here.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “What are my chances?”