3.65/174 JD/MBA Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
MattM

Bronze

Re: 3.65/174 JD/MBA

Post by MattM » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:05 am

I say OP has solid shots at most if not all T14.....Even H ( although a bit of a stretch, but I wouldn't rule it out,....may want to retake for a point or two to get above H's 75% th LSAT )....if i had a 174 I would at least throw out an app at H because I wouldn't want to second guess yourself for not trying

I son't see GPA causing a problem at Penn...in fact their bottom 25%th GPA dropped slightly from class of 2016 to 2017 ( and OP is comfortably above the bottom 25%).....Penn WL's a lot of applicants for yield protection from CCN

cc78

Silver

Post by cc78 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:40 pm

MattM wrote:I say OP has solid shots at most if not all T14.....Even H ( although a bit of a stretch, but I wouldn't rule it out,....may want to retake for a point or two to get above H's 75% th LSAT )....if i had a 174 I would at least throw out an app at H because I wouldn't want to second guess yourself for not trying

I son't see GPA causing a problem at Penn...in fact their bottom 25%th GPA dropped slightly from class of 2016 to 2017 ( and OP is comfortably above the bottom 25%).....Penn WL's a lot of applicants for yield protection from CCN
I'd think being a joint JD/MBA candidate should provide some solid WL protection from Penn--Wharton is a better business school than any of CCN, so Penn Law's adcomm should easily see your sincere interest in attending if admitted.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:22 pm

kartelite wrote:
bdubs wrote:
The argument that MBA pay is as good or better than biglaw is only applicable to banking or consulting. Assuming that OP doesn't want to do consulting again since he's coming from that, his only equal/higher paying option is banking.
It's not only banking/consulting. My program's employment report from last year shows 13% of the class in investment management/private equity sectors where the median guaranteed comp alone (before discretionary bonus, which is usually well above big law) exceeds 160k. Not to mention plenty of people in real estate/tech/random other stuff are getting paid over 160k, even though the median isn't that high. Someone in business/corporate development at 275k base, "general management" at 200k base, and plenty of people with "other compensation" alone of 100-215k (100k+ non-salary comp in business/corporate development, consumer banking, investment banking, several other finance categories, e-commerce, software, management consulting). It's less "one size fits all" than the legal industry.
It's a little disingenuous to claim that just anyone can get these jobs. Not sure what school you are at but most of these high paying positions require previous experience or technical expertise in an industry/function. Very few people go from mgmt consulting to PE directly.

ChemEng1642

Silver

Post by ChemEng1642 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:32 pm

MattM wrote:I say OP has solid shots at most if not all T14.....Even H ( although a bit of a stretch, but I wouldn't rule it out,....may want to retake for a point or two to get above H's 75% th LSAT )....if i had a 174 I would at least throw out an app at H because I wouldn't want to second guess yourself for not trying

Definitely apply to H - I have basically the same numbers as you AND less work experience (which is the only thing going for me really) and I'm in at H. Apps are declining - you'll have a solid chance.

cjg243

New

Post by cjg243 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:22 pm

Thanks guys! This is all really encouraging and great advice.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”