What are my chances? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
HereICome3

New

What are my chances?

Post by HereICome3 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:34 pm

GPA: 3.98 (public school)
LSAT1: 159
LSAT2: Going to take feb 2015, expecting between 168-172 (first test there was a disruption in the center)

Schools: NYU, Cornell, Columbia

Please help! Anything is appreciated.
Last edited by HereICome3 on Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tomasz

New

Re: What are my chances?

Post by Tomasz » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:37 pm

HereICome3 wrote:GPA: 3.98 (public school)
LSAT1: 159
LSAT2: Going to take feb 2015, expecting between 168-172 (first test there was a disruption in the center)
URM

Schools: NYU, Cornell, Columbia

Please help! Anything is appreciated.
unless you got beat up by a violent street gang a "disruption" doesn't get you a 159.

I hope you studied a lot more this time!

That said... a 172 is autoadmit at Cornell, super high chance at nyu/columbia. What else is there to say

kevgogators

Bronze

Post by kevgogators » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:39 pm

Come back with actual LSAT score. Your GPA and URM status will help. Play with this in the mean time...

http://mylsn.info/ayl37g/

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:43 pm

No chance with a 159.
In at Cornell with a 168 with a pretty sizable scholly. Likely to slip into the other two because URM (what kind?)
In across the board with a 172.

Come back to us when you have your February score.

HereICome3

New

Post by HereICome3 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:49 pm

URM: hispanic

Will NYU even consider a higher score at this point? My application is currently under review.

I will update when the new score comes in. I am confident it will be in that range.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:50 pm

HereICome3 wrote:URM: hispanic
Mexican American or Puerto Rican?

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:52 pm

HereICome3 wrote: Will NYU even consider a higher score at this point? My application is currently under review.
I will update when the new score comes in. I am confident it will be in that range.
I would e-mail them and ask them to hold your application until February scores are released.

HereICome3

New

Post by HereICome3 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:53 pm

Dirigo wrote:
Spanish from Spain, so European.

And as far as emailing them, is that possible since they say they only accept up to December?

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:55 pm

HereICome3 wrote:
Dirigo wrote:
And as far as emailing them, is that possible since they say they only accept up to December?
That's not URM. You will get no bump.
And it doesn't hurt to email and ask. You're an outright deny as is.
Last edited by Rigo on Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cc78

Silver

Post by cc78 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:56 pm

Uh oh...Don't think you're a URM.

URM = African-American, Mexican-American, Puerto Rican, or Native American.

ETA: Scooped by Dirigo

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:00 pm

Furthermore, you're not even Hispanic in the eyes of the U.S. Census Bureau. Sorry to burst your bubble.

HereICome3

New

Post by HereICome3 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:06 pm

Dirigo wrote:Furthermore, you're not even Hispanic in the eyes of the U.S. Census Bureau. Sorry to burst your bubble.
http://www.census.gov/population/hispanic/
:D

HereICome3

New

Post by HereICome3 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:16 pm

cc78 wrote:Uh oh...Don't think you're a URM.

URM = African-American, Mexican-American, Puerto Rican, or Native American.

ETA: Scooped by Dirigo
Uh oh is right

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:17 pm

HereICome3 wrote:
Dirigo wrote:Furthermore, you're not even Hispanic in the eyes of the U.S. Census Bureau. Sorry to burst your bubble.
http://www.census.gov/population/hispanic/
:D
I guess you're taking the catch-all super literally. And race is self-perception.
Pretty sure the intent on law school apps is to identify Latino students and other persons of colors.

No matter how you slice it, you're certainly not a URM though so you won't outperform your numbers.

HereICome3

New

Post by HereICome3 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:17 pm

Dirigo wrote:
HereICome3 wrote:
Dirigo wrote:
That's not URM. You will get no bump.
And it doesn't hurt to email and ask. You're an outright deny as is.
Thanks! Also, fixed my description above. Thank you for pointing that out, I guess there is some wrong information being spread around.

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:18 pm

HereICome3

New

Post by HereICome3 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:32 pm

I saw this on another post and thought it was interesting.

"The actual Supreme Court document makes no mention of the difference between Mexican-Americans, Puerto Ricans, and "regular" Hispanic/Latinos. In fact, it actually speaks to the difficulty of determining whether Cubans are considered URMs. The link that you posted, silver, is data compiled from the plaintiff's statistician, not from the decision handed down by the Supreme Court. The judges used consistent language throughout their decision and always referred to Hispanics as one larger group.

LSAC's research staff conveniently breaks down avg. LSAT scores and the like by specific Hispanic groups such as Mexican-American and Puerto Rican, but don't take this to assume that Hispanics are given considerably less of a boost."

"Perhaps Mexican-Americans and Puero Ricans are given the largest relative boosts (with respect to their LSAT scores) because of their extremely low average LSAT scores, but to say that all Hispanics aren't given URM status just seems silly. From looking at LSAC's research compilation, Puerto Ricans are given the biggest boost wrt LSAT scores, then African Americans, and then Mexican Americans, Hispanics in general, and Native Americans are all about equal. Hispanics (in general!) are underrepresented at law schools: --LinkRemoved-- (click on additional). In 2005, 14.5% of the US population claimed Hispanic ethnicity while only 7.2% of Hispanics were admitted to law school that same year. And I highly doubt that if you control for Mexican Americans and Puerto Ricans that you will be able to explain away this enormous discrepancy."

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/g ... 9&page=306

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:34 pm

I don't mean to digress beyond the important non-URM classification. Sure you're literally hi-SPA(I)N-ic and I apologize for saying otherwise if that's offended you. I was more so trying to reference the intent of the people asking that question (in this case law schools). Likewise, if your ancestry is white South African, you probably shouldn't claim to be African American despite originating from the continent. I think it's more of a good faith/bad faith kind of thing, but it's your prerogative at the end of the day how you choose to answer that question.

gamerish

Gold

Post removed...

Post by gamerish » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:39 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by gamerish on Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:55 am, edited 6 times in total.

baal hadad

Gold

Post by baal hadad » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:42 pm

HereICome3 wrote:I saw this on another post and thought it was interesting.

"The actual Supreme Court document makes no mention of the difference between Mexican-Americans, Puerto Ricans, and "regular" Hispanic/Latinos. In fact, it actually speaks to the difficulty of determining whether Cubans are considered URMs. The link that you posted, silver, is data compiled from the plaintiff's statistician, not from the decision handed down by the Supreme Court. The judges used consistent language throughout their decision and always referred to Hispanics as one larger group.

LSAC's research staff conveniently breaks down avg. LSAT scores and the like by specific Hispanic groups such as Mexican-American and Puerto Rican, but don't take this to assume that Hispanics are given considerably less of a boost."

"Perhaps Mexican-Americans and Puero Ricans are given the largest relative boosts (with respect to their LSAT scores) because of their extremely low average LSAT scores, but to say that all Hispanics aren't given URM status just seems silly. From looking at LSAC's research compilation, Puerto Ricans are given the biggest boost wrt LSAT scores, then African Americans, and then Mexican Americans, Hispanics in general, and Native Americans are all about equal. Hispanics (in general!) are underrepresented at law schools: --LinkRemoved-- (click on additional). In 2005, 14.5% of the US population claimed Hispanic ethnicity while only 7.2% of Hispanics were admitted to law school that same year. And I highly doubt that if you control for Mexican Americans and Puerto Ricans that you will be able to explain away this enormous discrepancy."

guess what you're hispanic - white

aka hispanic - no one gives a shit

HereICome3

New

Post by HereICome3 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:47 pm

baal hadad wrote:

Can you please explain how Hispanic is white? I am genuinely curious.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

baal hadad

Gold

Post by baal hadad » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:50 pm

HereICome3 wrote:
baal hadad wrote:

Can you please explain how Hispanic is white? I am genuinely curious.
spanish people are white people

gamerish

Gold

Post removed...

Post by gamerish » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:55 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by gamerish on Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:55 am, edited 6 times in total.

HereICome3

New

Post by HereICome3 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:13 pm

gamerish wrote:
HereICome3 wrote:Can you please explain how Hispanic is white? I am genuinely curious.
Hispanic is considered an ethnicity, white is considered a race. In the U.S. you can't identify solely by your ethnicity, ethnicity is essentially considered to be a subset of a race. So if you want to legally identify as hispanic you also have to have a separate racial identification. So unless you're black or asian, you're white-hispanic.
Thank you

HereICome3

New

Post by HereICome3 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:39 pm

So I am back with a 165 :/, thoughts?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”