2.9/180 - crazy to hope for scholarships? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Trekkie

New

2.9/180 - crazy to hope for scholarships?

Post by Trekkie » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:29 pm

LSAC GPA: 2.9
LSAT: 180
URM: AA female
Current location: DC
Preferred locations after law school: DC > NYC > TX
Post-Law school job: Let's just say biglaw. I am interested in other things (like criminal law) but have not researched them thoroughly.
College WE: 1.5 years of interesting stuff
Post-grad WE: 2 years non-profit (not law related), 2 years DC biglaw firm which is my current job (not a secretary, legal assistant or paralegal).

Main question is: Do you guys think I have any chance for scholarships with a 2.9? I am worried about the debt I'd have if I paid sticker. I have searched in LSN but I can't tell if a lot of people aren't putting in money information or if the schools I'm looking at just don't give out much money.

My plan at the moment is to apply to T4-T20 minus the California schools. Also thinking of doing part-time for Georgetown and/or GW instead of full-time. But should I apply to lower ranked schools as well? For example, I'm not sure if I should bother with George Mason or American.

Btw I would be applying next cycle.

So I guess I am asking: is my list of schools to apply to realistic with my stats and what do you think my chances are at getting money from those schools?

RCSOB657

Gold

Re: 2.9/180 - crazy to hope for scholarships?

Post by RCSOB657 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:38 pm

If you really have a 180, why do you think you won't get full rides or at least admission to any school you apply to?

Clemenceau

Silver

Post by Clemenceau » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:46 pm

URM with a 180?

I have absolutely no real knowledge of your chances, but if I had to speculate, I bet you get into harvard and everywhere below

Scholarships are anyone's guess, but I have a hard time believing you wouldn't get hefty t14 offers

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:05 am

When did you take the lsat?

mvp99

Silver

Post by mvp99 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:11 am

enjoy H w/o money... 600 students? they won't care about your 2.9

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sundontshine

Bronze

Post by sundontshine » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:47 am

What in the world were you doing during undergrad to get such a low GPA when you clearly are pretty smart?

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:16 am

Super splitters like yourself have wildly unpredictable cycles. A 180 URM is truly exceptional though so I think you'll get some great options.
I would apply to the T14 + George Washington + WUSTL (for scholly negotiation) + UT (since you mentioned texas).
I would take a crack at Harvard. You may even be a special enough snowflake for Yale. It's really hard to say since you are such a unique applicant.

Don't bother with George Mason or American.
It's hard to predict scholarships for you, but I foresee you getting a really great offer at a quality school that will make law worthwhile.
GOODLUCK & awesome job on the LSAT!

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:55 am

A 180?! Well christ....

Kratos

Platinum

Post by Kratos » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:09 am

sundontshine wrote:What in the world were you doing during undergrad to get such a low GPA when you clearly are pretty smart?
Having fun probably.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Trekkie

New

Post by Trekkie » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:46 am

RCSOB657 wrote:If you really have a 180, why do you think you won't get full rides or at least admission to any school you apply to?
I thought having a sub 3.0 GPA meant I had no chance at certain schools and very little chance for money, which was my main concern. From reading the other threads I guess I mistakenly came to the conclusion that GPA was more important, for scholarships especially.
Clearly wrote:When did you take the lsat?
I took the LSAT for this score a year ago. It was my second time taking it.
Kratos wrote:
sundontshine wrote:What in the world were you doing during undergrad to get such a low GPA when you clearly are pretty smart?
Having fun probably.
I did have some fun, actually. But stuff happened with family and finances that screwed up my last two years. I had to prioritize and school was at the bottom of the list.

I'm surprised. I was thinking I would be lucky to get into Georgetown and you guys are mentioning Harvard. I need to recalibrate.

mt2165

Silver

Post by mt2165 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:04 pm

This is ridiculous. I'm not sure like any AA's have gotten into H with sub-3 GPAs, but if anyone would, it would be you. I still don't think you have a great chance, but this is crazy. I would blanker the T-14 for sure, especially ED at NW, that would be a pretty good outcome but who knows the schollies you'll snag. I say this in part because once you get above 172-174, there are so few AA's that I'm not sure that the difference between 172-180 is going to drastically change the ball game, you're way above every 75th LSAT and below 25th GPA. If I were you I would focus on milking the LSAT and targeting the mid and lower t-14's and just go wherever you get the most money (obviously dependent on goals, but still).

Dog

Bronze

Post by Dog » Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:43 pm

Dirigo wrote:Super splitters like yourself have wildly unpredictable cycles. A 180 URM is truly exceptional though so I think you'll get some great options.
I would apply to the T14 + George Washington + WUSTL (for scholly negotiation) + UT (since you mentioned texas).
I would take a crack at Harvard. You may even be a special enough snowflake for Yale. It's really hard to say since you are such a unique applicant.

Don't bother with George Mason or American.
It's hard to predict scholarships for you, but I foresee you getting a really great offer at a quality school that will make law worthwhile.
GOODLUCK & awesome job on the LSAT!
I pretty much agree with this post 100%. I think there is definitely a chance you could get into H or get some $$$ in the top 14. It's really tough to predict with your rare stats so applying to GW and UT could make sense too. This is complete guesswork, but I'd predict you end up with something like one of these:

- Harvard
- Northwestern ED ($150k)
- $$ (80-120k) at some school in the mid-lower t14 via regular decision

All good outcomes.
Last edited by Dog on Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

notactuallyposting

New

Post by notactuallyposting » Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:29 pm

Harvard at sticker? That doesn't make sense. Harvard is needs based only. If OP gets into harvard their grant will be decided using the same formula as the 4.0/174 folk. And if OP comes from a poor family, that would be their best outcome.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”