LSAT Addendum needed if under accommodated conditions ? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
MattM

Bronze

LSAT Addendum needed if under accommodated conditions ?

Post by MattM » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:41 am

Hello, my question is wether or not if I gain extended time accommodations a massive score increase if should put an addendum

I had normal reading vision in both eyes prior to January 2012 when I had an accident and detached my retina in my left eye and had to sit out a year from school to recover. Due to the detachment, from that point on I have had no short range reading vision in my left eye but i can still read perfectly fine out of the right eye.

I know It was extremely foolish but I took the June 2014 LSAT under normal conditions as at the time I did not feel it was negatively impacting me.

Most of my under grad exams were short answer choice or essay so there wasn't a whole lot of reading involved so I don't think reading out of one eye impacted me on regular under grad exams.

I first began to notice that reading out of one eye was an issue when LR and LG scores dramatically rose but Rc Didn't (I can see the whole stimulus and answer choices in LR and there is minimal reading in LG...but RC gives me trouble reading out of one eye with the time constraints as the questions and passage are split over two pages.

sparty99

Gold

Re: LSAT Addendum needed if under accommodated conditions ?

Post by sparty99 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:43 am

MattM wrote:Hello, my question is wether or not if I gain extended time accommodations a massive score increase if should put an addendum

I had normal reading vision in both eyes prior to January 2012 when I had an accident and detached my retina in my left eye and had to sit out a year from school to recover. Due to the detachment, from that point on I have had no short range reading vision in my left eye but i can still read perfectly fine out of the right eye.

I know It was extremely foolish but I took the June 2014 LSAT under normal conditions as at the time I did not feel it was negatively impacting me.

Most of my under grad exams were short answer choice or essay so there wasn't a whole lot of reading involved so I don't think reading out of one eye impacted me on regular under grad exams.

I first began to notice that reading out of one eye was an issue when LR and LG scores dramatically rose but Rc Didn't (I can see the whole stimulus and answer choices in LR and there is minimal reading in LG...but RC gives me trouble reading out of one eye with the time constraints as the questions and passage are split over two pages.
This reasoning sounds dumb. Consequently, you do not write an addendum.

MattM

Bronze

Post by MattM » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:48 am

Why dumb reasoning?

I went to doctors not to for confirmation for extra time...but explained to them the LSAT and how I was scoring n practice and they agreed I should seek extra time.

I miss very few on the other three sections compared to RC....for example on one PT i missed 13 on the other three sections combined, but I missed 13 alone in RC.

I understand RC is the hardest section and hardest to improve on but I do think reading out of one eye slows me down.

MattM

Bronze

Post by MattM » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:01 am

Do you believe an LSAT addendum is needed to explain a score increase from a 154 to a 167+ for a T14 school ( assuming thats what I get based off my practice scores and if I got extended time on either Reading Comp/LSAT as a whole).

The main reason I ask is I heard, LSAC in the recent lawsuit starting with the September 2014 LSAT now could not flag scores as accommodated.....why are now LSAT exams are now unflagged because 1). as the LSAT is a time pressured test and the timing accounts for much of the difficulty of the exam an admissions officer may look at a 170 under normal conditions as a more reliable predictor than a170 with extra time. or 2) the discrimination may not be in the LSAT scores themselves but rather an admissions officer's concern if the applicant with a disability can handle the rigorous workload of being a law student

While Law School admissions officers can't outright discriminate against disability as it is illegal, they can do it privately, similarly to a minority who doesn't get hired at the job, very few managers would outrightly indicate that race was the basis for the non-hire.....My GPA is decent but being at the 25% percentile for most of the T14 schools ..it's not like I have a 4.0 GPA and I could say "I got a 170 on the LSAT, so I probably was denied because of my condition despite scoring in the top 2% of all test takers and a perfect GPA" ( i know thats somewhat simplistic but the vast majority of admit/deny is numbers based)

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:13 am

Just take the damn LSAT and apply. You don't write an addendum for this purpose. If you went from a 154 to a 160 something then oh well. No need to explain.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NoDayButToday

Silver

Post by NoDayButToday » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:43 am

Last edited by NoDayButToday on Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ron Don Volante

Silver

Post by Ron Don Volante » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:57 am

sparty99 wrote:Just take the damn LSAT and apply. You don't write an addendum for this purpose. If you went from a 154 to a 160 something then oh well. No need to explain.
BUT I HAVE HERD FROM REPUTABLE SOURCES THAT AN *LSAT ADDENDUM* CAN MAKE ALL THE DIFFERENCE IN THE WORLD. YOU ARE FUCKING IDIOT AND ASSHOLE IF YOUR PURPOSELY TRYING TO SABOTAGE OP.

OP YOU CAN STILL GET INTO A TOP 50 SCHOOL AS LONG AS YOU WRITE THE ADDENDUM!!!1

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:31 am

Please don't derail on-topic threads by bringing up conflicts from other threads (as tempting as it may be).

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:10 pm

An addendum certainly isn't necessary. Schools will take the higher score and not think twice about it. This situation is really a judgement call on your part. On one hand, you have a completely reasonable explanation. On the other hand, you are right that there may be some discrete or subconscious discrimination towards you.
It's really up to you, but score increase addendums are not required by any means and not writing one won't have any impact.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:16 pm

Ron Don Volante wrote:
sparty99 wrote:Just take the damn LSAT and apply. You don't write an addendum for this purpose. If you went from a 154 to a 160 something then oh well. No need to explain.
BUT I HAVE HERD FROM REPUTABLE SOURCES THAT AN *LSAT ADDENDUM* CAN MAKE ALL THE DIFFERENCE IN THE WORLD. YOU ARE FUCKING IDIOT AND ASSHOLE IF YOUR PURPOSELY TRYING TO SABOTAGE OP.

OP YOU CAN STILL GET INTO A TOP 50 SCHOOL AS LONG AS YOU WRITE THE ADDENDUM!!!1
Bye Felicia.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:18 pm

No more of the above, on either side. Stick to the topic of this thread.

fats provolone

Platinum

Post by fats provolone » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:19 pm

lololol

MattM

Bronze

Post by MattM » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:51 pm

Dirigo wrote:An addendum certainly isn't necessary. Schools will take the higher score and not think twice about it. This situation is really a judgement call on your part. On one hand, you have a completely reasonable explanation. On the other hand, you are right that there may be some discrete or subconscious discrimination towards you.
It's really up to you, but score increase addendums are not required by any means and not writing one won't have any impact.
Exactly what I was thinking.....Im leaning heavily on the side on no addendum and let the scores speak for themselves.

Schools have every incentive to accept only the best because of USNWR rankings....so it would be silly for them to turn down a great score as that applicant could then go to another school and boost that school's ranking

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”