3.3 157 2 Year Undergrad Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
sanetzba

New

3.3 157 2 Year Undergrad

Post by sanetzba » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:30 pm

Hi all,

So the only reason why I'm making this thread is because of the unique circumstances surrounding my undergraduate. I decided to graduate in two years so admissions is only going to see about 70 credits of grades. I've also worked 30 hours a week while I was in school that being said do I have a chance at these schools that I applied to?

American (this is the one I'm really worried about)
Brooklyn
SUNY Buffalo
Syracuse
Albany
Southwestern
New England
Last edited by sanetzba on Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wingtip88

Bronze

Re: 3.3 157 2 Year Undergrad

Post by Wingtip88 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:35 pm

Please visit the website Law School Transparency (http://www.lawschooltransparency.com) and view the employment outcomes of these schools. They aren't good.

Also factor in that you'll graduate with over $100,000 in student debt that you will be liable to repay with interest and in a fixed amount of time.

Also, I'm not your damn friend.

Or am I?

sanetzba

New

Post by sanetzba » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:39 pm

Wingtip88 wrote:Please visit the website Law School Transparency (http://www.lawschooltransparency.com) and view the employment outcomes of these schools. They aren't good.

Also factor in that you'll graduate with over $100,000 in student debt that you will be liable to repay with interest and in a fixed amount of time.

Also, I'm not your damn friend.

Or am I?

See I get that, but at the same time most of these schools I'd be in the 75th percentile so that means there's a possibility of scholarship. I'm saving a lot of money by doing undergrad in two years so I don't mind if I have to go a little bit further in debt in for law school.

RCSOB657

Gold

Post by RCSOB657 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:41 pm

How did you graduate with a bachelors in only 70 credit hours?

Wingtip88

Bronze

Post by Wingtip88 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:42 pm

sanetzba wrote:See I get that, but at the same time most of these schools I'd be in the 75th percentile so that means there's a possibility of scholarship. I'm saving a lot of money by doing undergrad in two years so I don't mind if I have to go a little bit further in debt in for law school.
You aren't understanding the reality of unemployment following law school, the long term implications of a law school degree regardless of immediate job prospects, nor are you understanding the fact that law school hiring - even from TTT's - is based on grades, which aren't necessarily correlative to your entering numbers.

Retake the LSAT and turn yourself into a splitter for strong regionals. You can't fix that GPA, but you are beyond more than capable of fixing that LSAT.

How long and how much did you study?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sanetzba

New

Post by sanetzba » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:44 pm

RCSOB657 wrote:How did you graduate with a bachelors in only 70 credit hours?
I haven't graduated yet so they will only see the credit I have completed thus far.

sanetzba

New

Post by sanetzba » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:46 pm

Wingtip88 wrote:
sanetzba wrote:See I get that, but at the same time most of these schools I'd be in the 75th percentile so that means there's a possibility of scholarship. I'm saving a lot of money by doing undergrad in two years so I don't mind if I have to go a little bit further in debt in for law school.
You aren't understanding the reality of unemployment following law school, the long term implications of a law school degree regardless of immediate job prospects, nor are you understanding the fact that law school hiring - even from TTT's - is based on grades, which aren't necessarily correlative to your entering numbers.

Retake the LSAT and turn yourself into a splitter for strong regionals. You can't fix that GPA, but you are beyond more than capable of fixing that LSAT.

How long and how much did you study?

I studied for four months, but I was also working full time (it was during the summer). The reason why I don't want to retake is because the LSAT falls the day after my finals week and I just have too much going on in school right now.

Employment stats scare me, but I have a lot on my resume already and I plan to keep that going through law school so I think that will help me.

I think I'll also be able to get a higher gpa at these law schools. I don't think I would be able to keep up in a T50 law school.

Wingtip88

Bronze

Post by Wingtip88 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:50 pm

sanetzba wrote: I studied for four months, but I was also working full time (it was during the summer). The reason why I don't want to retake is because the LSAT falls the day after my finals week and I just have too much going on in school right now.

Employment stats scare me, but I have a lot on my resume already and I plan to keep that going through law school so I think that will help me.

I think I'll also be able to get a higher gpa at these law schools. I don't think I would be able to keep up in a T50 law school.
1. Take a full year off and study effectively, you dunce! Law school isn't going anywhere!! What's the difference? You'll work as a lawyer until you retire anyway!

2. Law school will take up the overwhelming majority of the time you spend awake. What exactly do you think you'll do to boost your resume unless you're going part time?

3. Your "higher GPA" won't matter when you're attending a school that places half, or less, of its graduates in law firm jobs.

My personal conclusion: you are totally unprepared to even consider law school as the next step.

sanetzba

New

Post by sanetzba » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:56 pm

Wingtip88 wrote:
sanetzba wrote: I studied for four months, but I was also working full time (it was during the summer). The reason why I don't want to retake is because the LSAT falls the day after my finals week and I just have too much going on in school right now.

1. Take a full year off and study effectively, you dunce! Law school isn't going anywhere!! What's the difference? You'll work as a lawyer until you retire anyway!

2. Law school will take up the overwhelming majority of the time you spend awake. What exactly do you think you'll do to boost your resume unless you're going part time?

3. Your "higher GPA" won't matter when you're attending a school that places half, or less, of its graduates in law firm jobs.

My personal conclusion: you are totally unprepared to even consider law school as the next step.
Taking a year off isn't going to help. I won't be able to pay off the loans I already have. I don't have money to just sit around and study for the lsat for another year.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Wingtip88

Bronze

Post by Wingtip88 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:57 pm

sanetzba wrote: Taking a year off isn't going to help. I won't be able to pay off the loans I already have. I don't have money to just sit around and study for the lsat for another year.
Then get a job.

sanetzba

New

Post by sanetzba » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:58 pm

Wingtip88 wrote:
sanetzba wrote: Taking a year off isn't going to help. I won't be able to pay off the loans I already have. I don't have money to just sit around and study for the lsat for another year.
Then get a job.
No job I get directly out of undergrad will allow me to pay for the debt I have.

Wingtip88

Bronze

Post by Wingtip88 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:06 am

sanetzba wrote:No job I get directly out of undergrad will allow me to pay for the debt I have.
The jobs you might have a 50% chance of getting after law school won't allow you to pay off the debt you have.

Nobody here cares about whether you can validate your own plans or not. We have a ton of valid data that we will hammer you with until you understand how things really work.
Last edited by Wingtip88 on Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

deadpanic

Silver

Post by deadpanic » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:06 am

sanetzba wrote:
Wingtip88 wrote:
Then get a job.
No job I get directly out of undergrad will allow me to pay for the debt I have.
I hope you are not serious about racking up more debt because no job you get directly out of law school at one of these schools will allow you to pay the debt you will have.

This is an absolute horrible decision without retaking. You chose probably the biggest trap law schools in America and that is saying something.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sundontshine

Bronze

Post by sundontshine » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:25 am

sanetzba wrote:
Wingtip88 wrote:
Then get a job.
Then spend another two years in undergrad like a normal student and pick up a second major that's actually useful. Then, either don't go to law school or work for 1-2 years before applying.

Seriously, going to any of those schools right now would be the worst possible decision you have ever made in your life, with potentially DECADES of horrible consequences.

fats provolone

Platinum

Post by fats provolone » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:31 am

how much debt did you rack up in two years lol

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:33 am

sanetzba wrote:
Wingtip88 wrote:
Then get a job.
No law school you could get into with those numbers will be likely to get you a job that will service the debt you have PLUS the debt you will accumulate in law school. Even if you get a job as a lawyer, you will most likely be making about $40,000/year, which will not be enough to service your current debt plus the extra $100,000-$250,000 in law school debt. Not to mention three years of unpaid interest on your undergrad debt.

fats provolone

Platinum

Post by fats provolone » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:36 am

just PAYE $0/month and study for the LSAT. it will be good practice for three years from now when you're studying for the bar exam with zero job prospects.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Bigfish41

Bronze

Post by Bigfish41 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:56 am

I don't get it, what's up with the stubbornness? Retaking is the only option here, OP. If you wanna be in financially crippling debt for the rest of your life, go ahead and enroll/apply. People here don't have to dissuade you from doing shit. Theyre offering the only rational advice of a retake.

sanetzba

New

Post by sanetzba » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:00 am

The point is I know I want to go to law school, and feasibly it's the only option for me right now. I don't want to take the LSAT again, I have no desire to. I wasn't asking whether or not to retake the lsat I was asking if I would get into these schools. I know that I can do well at them, and I am proactive enough that I can secure a job after law school. I'm already looking at employment and the fact of the matter is students at these school are lower tier that don't plan ahead so even if there is a 50% employment rate I will be in that 50%.

AReasonableMan

Gold

Post by AReasonableMan » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:03 am

It's not just the debt. There's a good chance your job prospects will be the same they are with your bachelors. You can get a deferment on the undergraduate loans while retaking. If you're adding four or five thousand dollars onto your loan figures for a ten-fold likelihood of getting the job you want then this is a good investment. The schools you get into offer thirty-thousand dollar positions to lucky grads. You are not comprehending how your short sightedness will disadvantage you for forty years. Any financial problems you have now will be much worse after law school unless you get into a better school. Even at a good school, your age may lead a lot of employers to assume you aren't mature enough irrespective of how well you do. At a TTT you aren't the full package because of the age so it's possible you'll be in trouble even if you did place in the top ten percent.

You also don't understand how jobs work. Most of the good jobs will be precluded to you because you go to a school that accepts low numbers. The fifty-percent aren't good jobs, and banking on half the students being incompetent is a losing strategy. It's not that you can't plan ahead. It's that unless you're the very top of the class, they're not going to read your resume.

In addition, how do you know you'll do well? What objective evidence do you have to support this? You're being cocky. Cockiness isn't confidence. Your logic is I'm insecure about how I'll support myself so let me postpone it for three years, and the degrees will sort everything out.
Last edited by AReasonableMan on Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wingtip88

Bronze

Post by Wingtip88 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:06 am

sanetzba wrote:I don't want to take the LSAT again, I have no desire to. I wasn't asking whether or not to retake the lsat I was asking if I would get into these schools. I know that I can do well at them, and I am proactive enough that I can secure a job after law school.
Most special snowflake that ever snowflaked.

Enjoy your prospects of hanging a shingle and settling defective used car suits.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

AReasonableMan

Gold

Post by AReasonableMan » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:24 am

Wingtip88 wrote:
sanetzba wrote:I don't want to take the LSAT again, I have no desire to. I wasn't asking whether or not to retake the lsat I was asking if I would get into these schools. I know that I can do well at them, and I am proactive enough that I can secure a job after law school.
Most special snowflake that ever snowflaked.

Enjoy your prospects of hanging a shingle and settling defective used car suits.
IDK if this person is real, but if you can't turn a college degree into a 30k position, I don't understand how you can be so confident you'll turn a TTT into a position that allows you to service an extra two hundred grand in debt. It doesn't make sense. You're also overestimating the power of hustling in law. It's exceedingly unlikely that networking will get people great jobs out of these schools. You really have to be somewhat of a candidate without the connections. It's also hard to make the type of connections through the hustling you're talking about. Everyone will know you're approaching them trying to get a job. Many people won't care, but it will be difficult to develop the type of close organic relationship you need for what you're suggesting.

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:27 am

sanetzba wrote:The point is I know I want to go to law school, and feasibly it's the only option for me right now. I don't want to take the LSAT again, I have no desire to. I wasn't asking whether or not to retake the lsat I was asking if I would get into these schools. I know that I can do well at them, and I am proactive enough that I can secure a job after law school. I'm already looking at employment and the fact of the matter is students at these school are lower tier that don't plan ahead so even if there is a 50% employment rate I will be in that 50%.
Why do you know you want to go to law school? Because it's literally the only thing you can think of? That's not a great reason to put yourself deeper in debt, especially when you will have little chance of getting a decent job.

What makes you think you're any different from the average student who attends those schools? You scored a 155 on the LSAT and have a 3.3 GPA. There are few schools where those numbers would stand out in any significant way. You will only be 2 years out of HIGH SCHOOL by the time you start. You are inexperienced. Many of the other students will have had real jobs that make their resume look better than yours. You should not assume that your 2 years of experience during college (plus whatever high school jobs you may have had) will set your resume apart from the pack.

I can promise you that plenty of the 50% who did not find jobs (and frankly, some of the schools you're talking about, it's more than that) thought exactly what you are right now. They thought that they were different; that they knew everything and that they'd be the ones who rose above and got the jobs. Why are you any different? Everything you're saying REEKS of the immaturity I would expect from someone who has only been out of high school for a year and change. Law school is not some magical solution to your problems; more likely than not attending one of your target schools will do quite the opposite.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:39 am

Check out http://www.mylsn.info

But don't go to any of those schools, they are terrible. Your laziness/shortsightedness/impatience points to BIG DEBT and BIG FAILURE if you don't right the ship. Good luck.

Kratos

Platinum

Post by Kratos » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:58 am

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”