Double Major to Boost GPA enough for T14 School? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
MattM

Bronze

Double Major to Boost GPA enough for T14 School?

Post by MattM » Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:00 pm

I'm currently at a 3.55 GPA right now and while thats at the 25% for many of the top schools I want to go to….I'll aim for a 75% LSAT score at the schools I'm looking at.

Would there be a benefit of double majoring to increase the GPA and sitting out this cycle?…..I am aiming to have a 3.6 at the end of the fall when I'l be applying if I go go this cycle…but If I double majored I could push my GPA to a 3.7 overall I may go that route because I I have only gotten one B in my psyc classes ( which I would be double majoring in)

I think a 3.7 would be worth sitting out a year for so I would be a little bit less of a splitter ……( currently unsure about my LSAT but have come a long way started a 145 on diagnostic in Feb to now a 168 as my best PT)

sesto elemento

Gold

Re: Double Major to Boost GPA enough for T14 School?

Post by sesto elemento » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:41 pm

If you can increase your gpa to a 3.7 that would definitely help. I would say do it since your GPA is locked in once you graduate. You can always retake the LSAT but you can nvr retake undergrad.

AnonymousAlterEgoC

Bronze

Post by AnonymousAlterEgoC » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:41 am

Practice tests aren't always reliable. I think you would be wise to sit out if you're stuck at 168 and 3.55. This is assuming, of course, that you haven't hit your goals yet. If you provide more info about your goals, you'll be able to get better advice.

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:13 am

if your HIGHEST PT is 168, I'm guessing that would drop to low-mid 160s on test day. I would also advise against law school with those stats unless you can significantly improve both your GPA and LSAT

MattM

Bronze

Post by MattM » Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:00 pm

I would say my goals are preferably to get into a T -14 School ( Penn would be my first choice )

I currently live in Texas and probably plan on practicing either there or PA....the local schools I'm considering are UT and SMU if I do not get into a T14

BigLaw is an option but I think I would want to go to a T14 regardless because of the many doors it opens up

I'm currently a Senior and if I were to apply for this cycle It would not be until January after I take the December LSAT and by then I could hopefully have a 3.6 GPA by then (if I double major I would sit out a cycle but could have a 3.7)

I still think I have not reached my peak on the LSAT as I have seen a constant improvement from the 145 ( only 5 right on my first LG section) to today so I would be willing to sit out a year if necessary to pull it up

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

xylocarp

Platinum

Post by xylocarp » Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:26 pm

congrats on your LSAT improvement. a 3.6/low to mid 160s is not going to get you into a T14, especially applying so late. A 3.7/17X definitely will, and with money. seems like the best call from basically every perspective to sit out a year, improve your GPA, and take the LSAT in June or October after you're consistently PTing in the 170s (since you think you can improve still)
Last edited by xylocarp on Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MattM

Bronze

Post by MattM » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:47 pm

I thought that with the drop in law school applications taking the LSAT in December is not as much of a problem in the rolling admissions cycle

If I took in December I would send out my scores as soon as they came back in late Dec /early Jan

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:56 pm

MattM wrote:I thought that with the drop in law school applications taking the LSAT in December is not as much of a problem in the rolling admissions cycle

If I took in December I would send out my scores as soon as they came back in late Dec /early Jan
December scores aren't a problem, but your GPA is so you need all the help you can get. One of the best ways to help yourself is to apply early. There was a 3.5ish 175ish that applied early last year and got into Harvard.

zxbn579

Bronze

Post by zxbn579 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:07 am

Pneumonia wrote:
MattM wrote:I thought that with the drop in law school applications taking the LSAT in December is not as much of a problem in the rolling admissions cycle

December scores aren't a problem, but your GPA is so you need all the help you can get. One of the best ways to help yourself is to apply early. There was a 3.5ish 175ish that applied early last year and got into Harvard.
By early you mean before November?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:37 am

Yeah, early to me is like mid-October or sooner.

msp8

Bronze

Post by msp8 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:22 am

And what would be the problem to apply after Dec, and then if the OP doesn't gain admission to his school(s) of choice, to re-apply next cycle?

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:55 am

msp8 wrote:And what would be the problem to apply after Dec, and then if the OP doesn't gain admission to his school(s) of choice, to re-apply next cycle?
The waste of app fees not to mention the fact that applicants can't help but justify bad choices once they've been accepted to certain schools.

This OP's situation is easy because s/he's pretty confident of a GPA boost, which helps given the 160s range s/he is in now. Additional practice can only improve that score, and why not take the extra GPA points without the temptation of taking a lesser offer from a lower ranked school?

msp8

Bronze

Post by msp8 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:02 am

sd5289 wrote: The waste of app fees not to mention the fact that applicants can't help but justify bad choices once they've been accepted to certain schools.

This OP's situation is easy because s/he's pretty confident of a GPA boost, which helps given the 160s range s/he is in now. Additional practice can only improve that score, and why not take the extra GPA points without the temptation of taking a lesser offer from a lower ranked school?
Fair. I was asking for myself, really, where I'm looking to take the Dec LSAT as a splitter and put forth my apps thereafter. If I'm late in applying in the cycle and don't get in where I'd like, then I'd just as soon re-apply the next year, and was curious as to whether that's a bad idea.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:15 am

msp8 wrote:
sd5289 wrote: The waste of app fees not to mention the fact that applicants can't help but justify bad choices once they've been accepted to certain schools.

Fair. I was asking for myself, really, where I'm looking to take the Dec LSAT as a splitter and put forth my apps thereafter. If I'm late in applying in the cycle and don't get in where I'd like, then I'd just as soon re-apply the next year, and was curious as to whether that's a bad idea.
That's hard to say as the market is bad for law schools as well. I'd say if you can negotiate a full ride out of a school, go for it. However, I'd strongly suggest waiting a cycle and trying again if you can't get that full ride. I managed a full ride back in 2012, and I will tell you, the very small amount of change I took on in debt after my savings kicked in has put me in an excellent position bargaining wise for jobs.

msp8

Bronze

Post by msp8 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:21 am

sd5289 wrote:
That's hard to say as the market is bad for law schools as well. I'd say if you can negotiate a full ride out of a school, go for it. However, I'd strongly suggest waiting a cycle and trying again. I managed a full ride back in 2012, and I will tell you, the very small amount of change I took on in debt after my savings kicked in has put me in an excellent position bargaining wise for jobs.
Thanks for your input. I suppose what I'm curious about is whether my applications in January, and the possibility of my not gaining admission/scholarships, would have any impact on my applications the following year?

So, say I apply in January. Get into my school of choice. Don't get any cash, though, so I re-apply the next year early on in the cycle. Is there a problem there?

In scenario II: Apply to my school(s) of choice. Don't gain admission. Re-apply next year early on in the cycle. Again, would there be any problem?

(From my understanding, there wouldn't be a problem in either scenario, but would appreciate clarity. And, apologies -- I really didn't intend to hijack this thread!)

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:29 am

msp8 wrote:Thanks for your input. I suppose what I'm curious about is whether my applications in January, and the possibility of my not gaining admission/scholarships, would have any impact on my applications the following year?

So, say I apply in January. Get into my school of choice. Don't get any cash, though, so I re-apply the next year early on in the cycle. Is there a problem there?
Nope.
In scenario II: Apply to my school(s) of choice. Don't gain admission. Re-apply next year early on in the cycle. Again, would there be any problem?
Nope.
(From my understanding, there wouldn't be a problem in either scenario, but would appreciate clarity. And, apologies -- I really didn't intend to hijack this thread!)
Correct.

msp8

Bronze

Post by msp8 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:36 am

Thank you for your (concise) answers again!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “What are my chances?”