168, 3.45-3.5 Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
lurj

New

168, 3.45-3.5

Post by lurj » Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:34 pm

Hey guys,

Really just looking at chances for UNC-Chapel Hill. I'm in-state, white male majoring in molecular bio at a state NC school. Softs are below average. What do you guys think? Do I have a shot at money from UNC? Should I retake for some more $$$ or is it not worth it? I've heard UNC can be stingy with awarding $$.

I should add that If I retake, I'm almost positive that I could hit the 170's.

Ti Malice

Gold

Re: 168, 3.45-3.5

Post by Ti Malice » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:54 am

Unless there's something seriously wrong with your application (significant criminal history, academic dishonesty, etc.), you're a lock for admission. It's not even clear from the data that a higher LSAT would help you get a better first offer from UNC: http://unc.lawschoolnumbers.com/applica ... &sort=lsat.

That said, I think you should still definitely retake. Then apply broadly with your 170+ -- both to T14s and to UNC peers known to be generous with scholarships -- and try to use your better offers to negotiate a full ride from UNC.

lurj

New

Post by lurj » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:59 am

Thanks for the reply. I do plan on retaking in september. Honestly, I didn't know that people negotiated financial aid offers with schools. I guess I've got a lot of research to do in that department.

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:17 am

lurj wrote:Thanks for the reply. I do plan on retaking in september. Honestly, I didn't know that people negotiated financial aid offers with schools. I guess I've got a lot of research to do in that department.
A lot of people don't try to negotiate, but they're often leaving thousands, or even tens of thousands, of dollars on the table. Here's a really long thread on TLS posters' experiences with scholarships negotiations: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =7&t=27221. I haven't read any of it, but you ought to review the posts from the last couple of application cycles at the very least.

This process often involves applying to schools you wouldn't even consider attending just so you can have their offer as a bargaining chip. I would bet this thread has all the info you'd need, but you can always run some searches for more advice.

Good luck!

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:34 am

i was offered $0, got $0 on appeal, and after much back and forth ended up with a surprisingly good scholly
as ti said, apply broadly and use other offers as leverage
and don't fret about being turned down, keep asking
the worst they can say is "no"
i tried multiple times in multiple ways and got rejected
but if i hadn't kept at it i'd either be paying sticker or sitting out a cycle

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”