3.6/152-- Exploring Options Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
GoBucky2015

New

3.6/152-- Exploring Options

Post by GoBucky2015 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:43 am

Hi Everyone!

I just received the results of my first LSAT. I am now trying to decide whether or not to retake the LSAT before applying to law schools in the fall. Here is a brief summary of my stats:

GPA: 3.6 from reputable (Big 10) University; double major; Dean's list multiple times; significant upward GPA trend

LSAT: June 2014 = 152 (52 percentile)

Soft Factors: Internship with major politician; extensive work experience during undergrad; great LORs expected; several leadership positions in student orgs; several honors clubs/societies; non-UMR

I know that my LSAT score is less than desirable, but given the time and financial commitment involved in studying for and taking the LSAT, I would prefer to not retake unless it would dramatically improve the chances at law school. I am looking strictly at law schools in Chicago, so I am interested in how these law schools will interpret my GPA/LSAT split. Can I get into Chicago law schools with these stats? Is retaking the LSAT in September in my best interest?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me!
Last edited by GoBucky2015 on Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

should-i-do-it

Bronze

Re: 3.6/152-- Exploring Options

Post by should-i-do-it » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:47 am

Retake, you won't get in anywhere that gives you even a decent shot of getting a job as a lawyer with a 152. Sorry if that's harsh but it true. Check out lawschooltransparency.com Figure out why you missed what you did, study hard, retake, and go to a good school

MistakenGenius

Silver

Post removed.

Post by MistakenGenius » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:50 am

Post removed.
Last edited by MistakenGenius on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:32 am

ls located in chi? zero good options with those numbers
targeting chi? also, no good options unfortunately
i'll let chicago ppl take the lead on this, but i'm guessing schools to target chi would look like this:
uchi
nu
mich
nd
uiuc
wustl?
minn?
wisconsin?
play around with mylsn.info and see if you can change some of those to green

tww909

Bronze

Post by tww909 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:45 am

Brut wrote:ls located in chi? zero good options with those numbers
targeting chi? also, no good options unfortunately
i'll let chicago ppl take the lead on this, but i'm guessing schools to target chi would look like this:
uchi
nu
mich
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
nd
uiuc
wustl?
minn?
wisconsin?

play around with mylsn.info and see if you can change some of those to green
FTFY. Especially no to Minnesota and Wisconsin which place no more than a small handful of people in law firms in Chicago each year. And I mean law firms in general, not just big law. I have my strong doubts about ND, UIUC, and WUSTL, but without significant experience I'll withhold judgment.

edited for basic math literacy

Louis1127

Silver

Post by Louis1127 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:07 am

GoBucky2015 wrote: I would prefer to not retake unless it would dramatically improve the chances at law school.
You're chances at law school are already 100 percent. You'll get in somewhere with your 152. The question you should be asking is "Will retaking offer me a better chance at getting a job that allows me to pay off my debt, or a job after going to school for a much reduced cost?

And the answer to that is probably. If you have a higher potential on the LSAT, then yes. If you've hit your ceiling (which I seriously doubt you have), then retaking is futile. But once again, I seriously doubt a 152 is the best you can do.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”