Haunted by the past! Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Grunt2Grad

Bronze

Haunted by the past!

Post by Grunt2Grad » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:11 am

I just graduated with a 3.87 from a pretty solid school and was feeling good about my prospects. However, I factored in the grades from a time range of about 7-10 years ago and my GPA dropped to 3.30. All of the terrible grades are prior to my military service and are in no way a reflection of who I am now. Before the military I was a turd. But, after I was injured and forced into medical retirement I completed my BA in just over two years (maintaining 20+ units all while raising a one year old). I do not want this to become a rendition of "started from the bottom now we here,"so I will leave it at that. Basically, with an excellent LSAT (170+) is there still hope for HYS?

**Getting money from the school is not a huge concern because of a program I'm in through the Veterans Affairs

Platinum

Re: Haunted by the past!

Post by 03152016 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:28 am

in all likelihood, no
seems unfair, but that's how it goes unfortunately
work on killing the lsat, get your 17x, then apply ccn on down

Grunt2Grad

Bronze

Post by Grunt2Grad » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:33 am

Brut wrote:in all likelihood, no
seems unfair, but that's how it goes unfortunately
work on killing the lsat, get your 17x, then apply ccn on down
I figured as much. I just wanted to throw some salt on the wound haha

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:54 am

Did you ever get your Voc. Rehab approved? Exactly which T14 you end up at is going to matter a lot less if you can go for free.

Grunt2Grad

Bronze

Post by Grunt2Grad » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:56 am

twenty wrote:Did you ever get your Voc. Rehab approved? Exactly which T14 you end up at is going to matter a lot less if you can go for free.
Yes, it got approved.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DELG

Gold

Post by DELG » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:59 am

Not really any hope. And this has to be one of the top 10 most common questions posed by 0Ls.

Grunt2Grad

Bronze

Post by Grunt2Grad » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:33 pm

DELG wrote:Not really any hope. And this has to be one of the top 10 most common questions posed by 0Ls.
Thanks for the feedback. I would imagine questions of this nature are popular in a forum dedicated to "what are my chances."

DELG

Gold

Post by DELG » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:36 pm

Grunt2Grad wrote:
DELG wrote:Not really any hope. And this has to be one of the top 10 most common questions posed by 0Ls.
Thanks for the feedback. I would imagine questions of this nature are popular in a forum dedicated to "what are my chances."
I only mention it to assure you that we have seen this many, many times before. Including intervening military service.

Grunt2Grad

Bronze

Post by Grunt2Grad » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:41 pm

If I do well on the LSAT I will probably still try at Harvard. You have to be in it to win it,right??

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Grunt2Grad

Bronze

Post by Grunt2Grad » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:44 pm

DELG wrote:
Grunt2Grad wrote:
I only mention it to assure you that we have seen this many, many times before. Including intervening military service.
You're right, after I posted I saw a few very similar situations on recent posts. I'm more or less just trying to gain a footing in the TLS community and building up a network of places to turn when I have questions.

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:06 pm

Your GPA will hurt you, but I have a very hard time feeling sorry for you when you'll be able to ED to anywhere you want and get a full ride + subsidized housing. NYU for free? Yeah, that's the absolute worst. ;)

DELG

Gold

Post by DELG » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:12 pm

Grunt2Grad wrote:If I do well on the LSAT I will probably still try at Harvard. You have to be in it to win it,right??
If you get an app fee waiver, why not. If you don't, buy a bottle of champagne to open when you get into the school that actually takes you instead.

Grunt2Grad

Bronze

Post by Grunt2Grad » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:13 pm

twenty wrote:Your GPA will hurt you, but I have a very hard time feeling sorry for you when you'll be able to ED to anywhere you want and get a full ride + subsidized housing. NYU for free? Yeah, that's the absolute worst. ;)

Haha fair enough! I was pretty stoked when my Voc counselor approved it. I guess at this point all I can do is work my butt off towards the LSAT and whatever happens, happens. There is nothing I can do about my GPA now.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Grunt2Grad

Bronze

Post by Grunt2Grad » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:14 pm

DELG wrote:
Grunt2Grad wrote:If I do well on the LSAT I will probably still try at Harvard. You have to be in it to win it,right??
If you get an app fee waiver, why not. If you don't, buy a bottle of champagne to open when you get into the school that actually takes you instead.
This was my intention, not so much the bottle champagne (I am more of a bourbon type) but if I get the fee waiver I will give it a shot.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:24 pm

see if you can get H and S to waive the app fee. I think I recall hearing about a dude with military service and a 3.5 getting into S with a high 170s score. That's higher than you but you never know.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “What are my chances?”