3.96 / 172 at HYS Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
thermes

New

3.96 / 172 at HYS

Post by thermes » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:15 am

hey all,

I'd appreciate your help- I've a 3.96 from Berkeley (the LSDAS GPA should be slightly higher), with a major in econ. I know I'm right at the borderline for the schools I wnat to attend (HYS), but realistically, how much would softs help?

gen. softs: started a company for data consulting, 1 year work experience at an econ-law consulting company, university medal nominee, commencement speaker for my second major (I don't wnat to list it here bc I don't want to be ID'd but it's humanities-oriented), honors thesis, fluent in 3 languages

I'm debating whether to spend most of my time working on my personal essay or take the test again. I know what hourumd etc. says, but I'm wondering what factors help push a candidate like myself over the edge. I can give more details about softs via PM.

thanks in advance!!

ph14

Gold

Re: 3.96 / 172 at HYS

Post by ph14 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:18 am

thermes wrote:hey all,

I'd appreciate your help- I've a 3.96 from Berkeley (the LSDAS GPA should be slightly higher), with a major in econ. I know I'm right at the borderline for the schools I wnat to attend (HYS), but realistically, how much would softs help?

gen. softs: started a company for data consulting, 1 year work experience at an econ-law consulting company, university medal nominee, commencement speaker for my second major (I don't wnat to list it here bc I don't want to be ID'd but it's humanities-oriented), honors thesis, fluent in 3 languages

I'm debating whether to spend most of my time working on my personal essay or take the test again. I know what hourumd etc. says, but I'm wondering what factors help push a candidate like myself over the edge. I can give more details about softs via PM.

thanks in advance!!
Retake and gaining 1 point would help you more than marginally improving your personal statement. In any event, you can and should do both.

phillywc

Gold

Post by phillywc » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:18 am

I do think you will get at least one, with an outside shot at a sweep. Retaking for 174-5+ would give you a much better chance at all 3, but a really solid essay would also help. I'd retake if I as you but you are in a great spot, although I'd add that CCN with $$$$ is almost for sure a better outcome, depending on your goals.

thermes

New

Post by thermes » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:31 am

thanks for both of your replies-- helpful.

ph14, I was planning to take the june test but I was testing around 175 with pretty large fluctuations, so I canceled thinking the risk was too great if I did worse.

phillywc, I agree re CCN-- do you think my score would qualify for $ though? It looks like LSAT, rather than GPA, is the determining factor for merit scholarships.
Last edited by thermes on Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:36 am

In at H, Y/S will come down to softs

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:55 am

thermes wrote:thanks for both of your replies-- helpful.

ph14, I was planning to take the june test but I was testing around 175 with pretty large fluctuations, so I canceled thinking the risk was too great if I did worse.

phillywc, I agree re CCN-- do you think my score would qualify for $ though? It looks like LSAT, rather than GPA, is the determining factor for merit scholarships.
Yeah, you'll be strong for merit aid. I bet you'll get some six figure awards in the T14. Congrats on the numbers.

http://mylsn.info/grq5ay/

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:59 pm

Chicago gives Rubenstein scholarships to individuals with these numbers. You're a few pts shy of Hamilton range.

Stanford will be a crapshoot, but I think coming from the bay with a very strong GPA you have as good a chance as any. Harvard is definitely in play, but as others have said, one more point on the LSAT would be huge.

No one can really tell you for Yale.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”