please help with NYU chances Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
hopefulEagle

New

please help with NYU chances

Post by hopefulEagle » Fri May 16, 2014 11:24 am

hi guys this is my first post and would love to get some feedback.

GPA: 3.39
LSAT: 174

I really want to go to NYU. What do you think my chances at NYU/Columbia/Chicago are? I also would like UVA if possible

sjgonzalez3

Bronze

Re: please help with NYU chances

Post by sjgonzalez3 » Fri May 16, 2014 11:29 am

hopefulEagle wrote:hi guys this is my first post and would love to get some feedback.

I really want to go to NYU. What do you think my chances at NYU/Columbia/Chicago are? I also would like UVA if possible
Read:

http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... =9&t=45122

tldr: Did not provide enough relevant information.

sjgonzalez3

Bronze

Post by sjgonzalez3 » Fri May 16, 2014 11:30 am

ymmv

Diamond

Post by ymmv » Fri May 16, 2014 11:40 am

Obligatory: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =9&t=45122

Given the inadequate information you provided, I'll throw out there that you have a good chance of admission but with no merit aid.

hopefulEagle

New

Post by hopefulEagle » Fri May 16, 2014 11:47 am

I apologize y'all.

Edited info:

Non-URM
top25 undergrad (still in undergrad)
low to average-softs (normal internships, nothing too special/ ample amount of leadership/ no awards)
LOR will be strong
in-state for UVA

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ymmv

Diamond

Post by ymmv » Fri May 16, 2014 11:54 am

hopefulEagle wrote:I apologize y'all.

Edited info:

Non-URM
top25 undergrad (still in undergrad)
low to average-softs (normal internships, nothing too special/ ample amount of leadership/ no awards)
LOR will be strong
in-state for UVA
Strong chance of UVA (maaaaybe with a little $), probably a decent chance of Chicago. Sort-of-OK chance of NYU/Columbia, but I doubt any $. If you have any interest in HYS it might be worth applying for the hell of it (low chance, but not no chance).

You also might have a shot of snagging a bunch of money at a lower T14 or a full scholarship at a good regional T1, so I wouldn't put that off the table. I would personally consider a full ride at, e.g., GWU over sticker at UVA, if you're intent on sticking around the area.
Last edited by ymmv on Fri May 16, 2014 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

hopefulEagle

New

Post by hopefulEagle » Fri May 16, 2014 11:58 am

thank you! I have a chance to take an independent course over this summer and raise my GPA to a 3.453. Is this worth it? Will this help increase my chances at NYU/Columbia?

ymmv

Diamond

Post by ymmv » Fri May 16, 2014 11:59 am

hopefulEagle wrote:thank you! I have a chance to take an independent course over this summer and raise my GPA to a 3.453. Is this worth it? Will this help increase my chances at NYU/Columbia?
Given their GPA medians, it could help a little, yes.

hopefulEagle

New

Post by hopefulEagle » Fri May 16, 2014 12:02 pm

i really appreciate the advice. I have another question: TLS keeps saying apply early? When is early? Is it like november?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Ricky-Bobby

Silver

Post by Ricky-Bobby » Fri May 16, 2014 12:06 pm

ymmv wrote: Strong chance of UVA (maaaaybe with a little $), probably a decent chance of Chicago. Sort-of-OK chance of NYU/Columbia, but I doubt any $. If you have any interest in HYS it might be worth applying for the hell of it (low chance, but not no chance).

You also might have a shot of snagging a bunch of money at a lower T14 or a full scholarship at a good regional T1, so I wouldn't put that off the table. I would personally consider a full ride at, e.g., GWU over sticker at UVA, if you're intent on sticking around the area.
Chicago has the highest GPA median of the three. I'm pretty sure "decent chance" is an overstatement.

Who knows, though. You could be the splitter they need to maintain the LSAT median.
hopefulEagle wrote:i really appreciate the advice. I have another question: TLS keeps saying apply early? When is early? Is it like november?
Apply as soon as possible if you have your applications complete (which you should by then). A lot of schools open apps September 1st. Send yours that day.

hopefulEagle

New

Post by hopefulEagle » Fri May 16, 2014 12:15 pm

thanks for the reply Ricky-Bobby. i only mentioned chicago because it was on par with NYU and Columbia. I couldn't help but notice you have a lot of posts and maybe a better understanding than me on admissions. what do you think my chances are at NYU/Columbia and UVA? Maybe Penn. I'm not sure which schools are splitter friendly of those. I think NYU is all about numbers and I had a friend once tell me that at NYU if you break their 75th LSAT percentile you'll get in (maybe off the waitlist).

cavalier2015

Bronze

Post by cavalier2015 » Fri May 16, 2014 1:34 pm

im on the same boat as you GPA wise. good luck on the cycle! keep me posted if possible

Ricky-Bobby

Silver

Post by Ricky-Bobby » Fri May 16, 2014 2:46 pm

hopefulEagle wrote:thanks for the reply Ricky-Bobby. i only mentioned chicago because it was on par with NYU and Columbia. I couldn't help but notice you have a lot of posts and maybe a better understanding than me on admissions. what do you think my chances are at NYU/Columbia and UVA? Maybe Penn. I'm not sure which schools are splitter friendly of those. I think NYU is all about numbers and I had a friend once tell me that at NYU if you break their 75th LSAT percentile you'll get in (maybe off the waitlist).
One thing you should learn quickly here to minimize damage is that high post count does not necessarily correlate with knowledge. I, for one, am a dumbass. I am also a 0L.

That said, applying early is your best bet. Medians are still fluid earlier in the cycle, and mediocre numbers early can outperform excellent numbers later. There are many TLS examples of people with phenomenal GPAs and LSATs who applied in Jan/Feb/Mar getting waitlisted by schools that should have auto-admitted them.

Check this table out:

That's from mylsn.info, using a range of numbers that include yours. As you can see, Columbia and NYU will be a toss-up. UVA seems to live up to its reputation of being splitter-friendly, while Chi and Penn hold up their reputations of GPA-whoring.

My best advice is apply early and broadly. I'd say apply to all of the T14 and as many strong regionals as you can. As you can see, the further you go down the better the scholarship numbers will look. Give yourself the option of going lower ranked for big money, and this will also allow you to use these schools as financial aid leverage.

Good luck.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Wiggly

Bronze

Post by Wiggly » Fri May 16, 2014 2:50 pm

Last edited by Wiggly on Fri May 23, 2014 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John Everyman

Silver

Post by John Everyman » Fri May 16, 2014 2:54 pm

hopefulEagle wrote:thanks for the reply Ricky-Bobby. i only mentioned chicago because it was on par with NYU and Columbia. I couldn't help but notice you have a lot of posts and maybe a better understanding than me on admissions. what do you think my chances are at NYU/Columbia and UVA? Maybe Penn. I'm not sure which schools are splitter friendly of those. I think NYU is all about numbers and I had a friend once tell me that at NYU if you break their 75th LSAT percentile you'll get in (maybe off the waitlist).
Ricky-Bobby's large number of posts are exclusively a result of well-reasoned and insightful posting dedicated to improving the community as a whole. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Ricky-Bobby

Silver

Post by Ricky-Bobby » Fri May 16, 2014 3:03 pm

John Everyman wrote:
Ricky-Bobby's large number of posts are exclusively a result of well-reasoned and insightful posting dedicated to improving the community as a whole. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
No matter how many of them there are or how often they say it.

sjgonzalez3

Bronze

Post by sjgonzalez3 » Fri May 16, 2014 6:03 pm

I wanted to repeat a few things that have already been said, but think need more emphasis:

1.) Take the summer class if you're confident it will boost your GPA

2.) Apply Early (Sep/Oct.) but if you have a good reason to wait (better polished, good LOR incoming, additional GPA increase), December wouldn't hurt you too much with the current climate of apps.

3.) Blanket the T14 (except maybe Y/S/Chi/Penn), you may be surprised both by who admits you, and some that deny you. This will also allow you to negotiate merit aid.

And something that hasn't seem to have been said yet:

4.) Consider taking a year or more off. 1-2 years off could help offset your GPA enough to squeeze you in somewhere, and the time would allow you to craft a cleaner application.

Ultimately, as others have pointed out, you have a pretty good shot at the lower T14, and some of the higher splitter friendly schools. UVA has been known to dip down when you're instate, so you may have a pretty sweet deal from them, but again, I wouldn't count on it at the expense of blanketing other schools.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sjgonzalez3

Bronze

Post by sjgonzalez3 » Fri May 16, 2014 6:06 pm

sjgonzalez3 wrote:I wanted to repeat a few things that have already been said, but think need more emphasis:

1.) Take the summer class if you're confident it will boost your GPA

2.) Apply Early (Sep/Oct.) but if you have a good reason to wait (better polished, good LOR incoming, additional GPA increase), December wouldn't hurt you too much with the current climate of apps.

3.) Blanket the T14 (except maybe Y/S/Chi/Penn), you may be surprised both by who admits you, and some that deny you. This will also allow you to negotiate merit aid.

And something that hasn't seem to have been said yet:

4.) Consider taking a year or more off. 1-2 years off could help offset your GPA enough to squeeze you in somewhere, and the time would allow you to craft a cleaner application.

Ultimately, as others have pointed out, you have a pretty good shot at the lower T14, and some of the higher splitter friendly schools. UVA has been known to dip down when you're instate, so you may have a pretty sweet deal from them, but again, I wouldn't count on it at the expense of blanketing other schools.
Also forgot: If you are particularly debt averse, throw in some T20/regional schools for some bigger schollys.

hopefulEagle

New

Post by hopefulEagle » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:35 am

what do you guys think about applying ED to Penn? i hadn't really considered Penn but after digging through these forums it seems like they like splitters with decent LSATs during ED. how do i show that I am interested in Penn?

ymmv

Diamond

Post by ymmv » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:07 am

hopefulEagle wrote:what do you guys think about applying ED to Penn? i hadn't really considered Penn but after digging through these forums it seems like they like splitters with decent LSATs during ED. how do i show that I am interested in Penn?
Do not ED anywhere except NU. No school is worth sticker. Show your interest in Penn by writing a good Why Penn essay.

hopefulEagle

New

Post by hopefulEagle » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:11 am

i would LOVE NU but i am applying right out of undergrad and my only work experience have been marketing internships with Sony and Apple. i've read NU values WE a lot and idk if i have that for an ED..

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:54 pm

Your chances at NYU are strong. These results probably understate your chances, because (1) your LSAT is at the top of the included range and (2) your GPA is toward the higher end of the selected range (especially if you are taking the summer class and getting the grade you expect). This table includes only data from this cycle and last; any info from before will be much less applicable to your case, given the ongoing contraction of the applicant pool.

And if we drop the LSAT range down to include 172, the chances for an applicant in these ranges at NYU (and Columbia) are still strong:

hopefulEagle wrote:i would LOVE NU but i am applying right out of undergrad and my only work experience have been marketing internships with Sony and Apple. i've read NU values WE a lot and idk if i have that for an ED..
Even with WE, your GPA is almost certainly too low for NU ED. That said, there's no loss in giving it a shot. They'll just admit you RD with a nice scholarship.

Bottom line: apply to the entire T14 (aside from YHSB, unless you just want to avoid future regrets for not having taken a shot; your chances at Chicago are low but non-zero) and use scholarship offers to negotiate more money at your favored schools.

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:20 am

looking good for nyu
i got in with similar gpa

also as i said in your other thread
don't ed, unless you're rich and love sticker
174, you'll be fine this cycle w/o it

UnicornHunter

Diamond

Post by UnicornHunter » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:33 am

Brut wrote:looking good for nyu
i got in with similar gpa

also as i said in your other thread
don't ed, unless you're rich and love sticker
174, you'll be fine this cycle w/o it
+1

I got into NYU with a 173/3.33 this cycle. That being said, I have onjectively good softs so YMMV.

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:25 am

TheUnicornHunter wrote:I got into NYU with a 173/3.33 this cycle. That being said, I have onjectively good softs so YMMV.
intrigued

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”