2.94 and 175+...like a gymnast on the beam Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
powasky

New

2.94 and 175+...like a gymnast on the beam

Post by powasky » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:34 am

Background:

Graduated in 2012 with a degree in International Politics and Policy from VT - born and raised in VA. Graduated in 2012, age 24.

GPA is in the hole. Had a family situation in which my brother was diagnosed with bone cancer in 2006 and died in 2010. My family had always been close so this was a heavy blow and it left me deeply saddened for a long time. Everyone has their shit so it's probably close to irrelevant but I will be mentioning it in my PS. Have one great rec from a med-high level class here.

After college I got my life together and accomplished my EMT cert, mostly because I was just interested in doing it. I also have this instructor on board for a rec. I feel like this is super southern and hokey/not worth mentioning, but I displayed great learning characteristics in this class and was very close to the top (no rankings, estimated).

LSAT I'm stomping. Originally had plans to take June, but because of my poor GPA I really want to score closer to 178 - thinking I'll delay till October to ensure my capabilities. In any case, it's definitely doable for me as I've been prac-testing in the mid/high 170s as of last weekend.

Pretty good softs - was fairly involved in undergrad and have been more integrated into other organizations since graduation. Can list if it's relevant. Secured a salary position in August of 2013 in NYC and have been working with contracts, proposals, etc. since then. Title is account manager.

Eventual goal is to work as a federal prosecutor. I'm reaching for NW and UVA given the fact that I'm a splitter and have good work exp, however I have close ties to the Northern Virginia area and I do not want to rule out schools like GMU, GW, American, Georgetown, etc.

I'm mostly looking for comments and suggestions here, and I appreciate any feedback I receive.
Last edited by powasky on Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Re: 2.94 and 175+...like a gymnast on the beam

Post by Mal Reynolds » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:36 am

If you get a 175+ you won't lock yourself out of the t14, but you haven't done that yet. So this is kind of pointless.

powasky

New

Post by powasky » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:50 am

Mal Reynolds wrote:If you get a 175+ you won't lock yourself out of the t14, but you haven't done that yet. So this is kind of pointless.
Maybe, but I don't see it that way. I'm scoring 175-176 regularly on practests and I would say that I'm confident about the test itself. I'm working with Stratus in NYC and because I'm going for a 178+ I figured it would be best to utilize the time I had and nail down any problems that are costing me points.

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:57 am

powasky wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:If you get a 175+ you won't lock yourself out of the t14, but you haven't done that yet. So this is kind of pointless.
Maybe, but I don't see it that way. I'm scoring 175-176 regularly on practests and I would say that I'm confident about the test itself. I'm working with Stratus in NYC and because I'm going for a 178+ I figured it would be best to utilize the time I had and nail down any problems that are costing me points.
No I'm saying this thread is pointless you idiot, not studying for the LSAT. Come back when this isn't just a hypothetical.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:32 am

Mal Reynolds wrote:
powasky wrote:
No I'm saying this thread is pointless you idiot, not studying for the LSAT. Come back when this isn't just a hypothetical.
:lol:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:10 am

ED UVA

Clyde Frog

Platinum

Post by Clyde Frog » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:40 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:
powasky wrote:
He's just trying to get input on whether or not his target schools are in reach with his gpa and predicted LSAT score. Go drool over some penises on Game of Thrones, douchebag. Also, you may want to sit the next one out and try to assemble some type of life (socialize face-to-face), considering you've posted over 10,000 times on here.

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:44 pm

Clyde Frog wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:
powasky wrote:
He's just trying to get input on whether or not his target schools are in reach with his gpa and predicted LSAT score. Go drool over some penises on Game of Thrones, douchebag. Also, you may want to sit the next one out and try to assemble some type of life (socialize face-to-face), considering you've posted over 10,000 times on here.
If you could read I actually provided that answer. But your post has made me rethink my life. So thank you.

staysha

New

Post by staysha » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:48 pm

You shouldn't call people idiots because they misunderstood you. It's not nice.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TigerDude

Bronze

Post by TigerDude » Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:26 pm

a 2.94 178 will be so uncommon it will be hard to know what it means for admissions. I would think the difference between 174 & 178 won't mean so much because Stanford & Yale are likely already out for you.

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:47 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:
powasky wrote:
no need to get mad. now that we have myLSN every single one of these threads is a giant circle jerk anyway (see: pointless).

As to OP's question: if you can get 175+ then apply up and down T14 minus HYS. People tend to be very leery about giving advice based on projected LSAT scores because many people underperform their PT numbers on test day due to performance anxiety. This is by no means universal (I performed exactly as predicted) but it's common enough. Either way, be prepared to pay sticker wherever you go.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:15 pm

j
Last edited by rad lulz on Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

KatyMarie

Silver

Post by KatyMarie » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:44 pm

I'm sorry to hear about your brother. Good luck on the LSAT! Those are great practice test scores to go in with.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

SFrost

Bronze

Post by SFrost » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:44 am

:D
Last edited by SFrost on Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

jacketyellow

Bronze

Post by jacketyellow » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:01 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:
powasky wrote:
I don't get TLS sometimes. Some of the people on here love to ridicule people for explainable mistakes.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:03 pm

jacketyellow wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:
powasky wrote:
I don't get TLS sometimes. Some of the people on here love to ridicule people for explainable mistakes.
DON'T GO BIGLAW

Clyde Frog

Platinum

Post by Clyde Frog » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:31 pm

jacketyellow wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:
powasky wrote:
It's little dick syndrome.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

NYC-WVU

Bronze

Post by NYC-WVU » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:12 am

Clyde Frog wrote:
jacketyellow wrote:I don't get TLS sometimes. Some of the people on here love to ridicule people for explainable mistakes.
It's little dick syndrome.
That's not a syndrome, jerk. Everyone has a different anatomy. It's perfectly normal.

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:18 am

People bumping this thread after days of inactivity sound pretty butthurt.

Clyde Frog

Platinum

Post by Clyde Frog » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:24 am

Mal Reynolds wrote:People bumping this thread after days of inactivity sound pretty butthurt.
People posting over 10,000 times sound pretty pathetic.

moopness

Bronze

Post by moopness » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:49 am

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:56 am

Clyde Frog wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:People bumping this thread after days of inactivity sound pretty butthurt.
And yet here you are, on the same website, getting butthurt.

kcdc1

Silver

Post by kcdc1 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:05 am

FWIW, I had 2.83/179 and wound up with a solid tuition discount at NU. I had waitlists as high as UChicago, and I'd imagine that some of the WL's would turn into admits. I will not be waiting to find out--going to matriculate at NU in May. YMMV. I had strong WE/softs.

Clyde Frog

Platinum

Post by Clyde Frog » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:42 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:
Clyde Frog wrote:
Last edited by Clyde Frog on Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:57 pm

Clyde Frog wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:
Clyde Frog wrote:
I'm not really sure what the term "butthurt" means. Is that like when you and your boyfriend get together and afterwards you say something like, "Damn, you were really rough with me tonight, Bruce, now I'm butthurt. I better get on TLS to regain my dignity!" If that's what you mean by butthurt, then no. I'm happily married with my wife and three kids.
It just means you keep bumping this thread to respond even though you made fun of me for posting here so much. I'm not sure why you're so worried about getting the last word if you're above the whole internet forum thing. Also in my experience whenever someone throws out homophobic insults they are generally angry about something.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”