Deleted Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
R. Jeeves

Gold

Deleted

Post by R. Jeeves » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:09 pm

Last edited by R. Jeeves on Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:36 am, edited 4 times in total.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Re: ED to Columbia, or take a shot at Harvard?

Post by Tiago Splitter » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:13 pm

What do you like so much about Columbia?

Generally ED is a bad idea with applications dropping so rapidly. The only people who should apply ED are splitters (and even then only rarely) or people gunning for the Northwestern full ride. I don't see why you'd be an exception because in the absolute worst case scenario where you get rejected from Harvard and Columbia, you can a) try again the next year with a higher LSAT and/or GPA or b) go to another awesome school. Besides, you're very likely to get into Columbia and have some chance at Harvard.

Carter1901

Bronze

Post by Carter1901 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:38 pm

OP - I'd highly encourage you to apply RD to both schools. I was wrestling with the exact same question at the beginning of this cycle. Love Columbia, but I'm very glad I decided not to ED. My stats are less competitive than yours, I ended up getting Columbia and I'm currently keeping my fingers crossed for that JS2 (even if HLS doesn't work out, I've got CLS and I've been lucky enough to get $$$ from MVP - feels good to have options and room to maneuver; ED takes that away).
Also:
- You look like a competitive candidate for RD admission at Columbia
- the ED boost at CLS is negligible anyway (believe there was a thread on this somewhere)
- An ED acceptance at CLS will more than likely lock you into paying sticker (they've got no incentive to throw scholarship money at you when you're locked in regardless) when you'd likely be competitive for merit based $ somewhere at CCN.

Good luck.

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:02 pm

HLS 3L here. I would encourage you to take a shot at Harvard. I don't think that you are such a long shot as you might think.

aboutmydaylight

Silver

Post by aboutmydaylight » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:05 pm

You're in a Columbia no need to ED.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Big Dog

Silver

Post by Big Dog » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:05 pm

do you really have that kind of money to burn to live in NYC when others in the T14 will pay you to attend?

Apply RD to all.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:13 pm

OP: Have you actually taken the LSAT ?

In an earlier post your numbers were 3.88/174; now you claim 3.82/172 as your stats.

Regardless, applying ED with either set of numbers is unwise, in my opinion, because you are likely to miss out on scholarship offers & your target list of law schools may grow with more exposure to the Top 10 or so law schools.

paglababa

Silver

Post by paglababa » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:39 pm

pulstar1 wrote:I am also assuming that I there is no scenario in which I am rejected from Columbia and also admitted to Harvard
FYI, I'm in at HLS but got held at Columbia (though they might still accept me after I sent in an email expressing continued interest.

Also, everyone here is right. DO NOT ED at Columbia. It does not make any sense. You could see good money at Columbia too. Continue working hard in your undergrad...

lakers180

Bronze

Post by lakers180 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:45 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:OP: Have you actually taken the LSAT ?

In an earlier post your numbers were 3.88/174; now you claim 3.82/172 as your stats.

Regardless, applying ED with either set of numbers is unwise, in my opinion, because you are likely to miss out on scholarship offers & your target list of law schools may grow with more exposure to the Top 10 or so law schools.
last post says he expects 174
so he prolly took february and just got his score

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

R. Jeeves

Gold

Post by R. Jeeves » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:17 pm

lakers180 wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:OP: Have you actually taken the LSAT ?

last post says he expects 174
so he prolly took february and just got his score
lakers180 is right.
Last edited by R. Jeeves on Thu May 15, 2014 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:49 am

Don't ED to CLS. It's a terrific school, as good or better than any other for Biglaw, and obviously NYC is a lot more fun than Cambridge. But you don't need ED, and if your heart is set on Harvard, it is well worth giving it a shot.

Absolute worst case scenario, you just reapply if HLS/CLS doesn't work out (or go to another great school).

bowser

Bronze

Post by bowser » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:39 am

I mean, if money is no object means you're actually filthy rich, go ahead and do as you wish. For most people money is at least somewhat of an object, no?

You seem to know exactly what you want now, but it's good to have options, and you will have plenty if you apply RD widely.

And if you really want H and if it's not too late try like hell to keep your GPA up to H's median. It's in a demanding major so I think H will take that into account (CLS will like your GPA anyways). If it is too late consider waiting to apply until you have boosted your GPA. The WE will help; you can take some easy classes, etc.

dnptan

Bronze

Post by dnptan » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:18 am

Engineer here.

Got WL at H with a 3.82/170, so I think your 172 is worth a shot. Reapplying with a 173 this year - fingers crossed. Your softs are below-average to average. Apply early. You should be a lock at Columbia with 3.82/172 anyway, no need to ED. Try Stanford as well! Good luck.

BTW: I am in both Tau beta Pi and Phi Beta Kappa, so technical majors can get PBK. Well, I got accepted into TBP but didn't pay the fee since I was in biomedical, so the Biomed society was the only one I wanted to pay for (next to pbk). At least one other engineer in TLS is in the same boat. Don't spin anything about your TBP in your application. TBP IS NOT the equivalent of PBK by a long shot. TBP needs a GPA and a sometimes recommendation and that's it. PBK needs GPA, language mastery and/or academic breadth (double majors, etc) and a recommendation (supposedly without request, but a lot of people request it given the prestige).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

PrideandGlory1776

Bronze

Post by PrideandGlory1776 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:39 am

Please don't ED Columbia your in bro. Take a shot at HYS

R. Jeeves

Gold

Post by R. Jeeves » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:46 pm

dnptan wrote:Engineer here.

Got WL at H with a 3.82/170, so I think your 172 is worth a shot. Reapplying with a 173 this year - fingers crossed. Your softs are below-average to average. Apply early. You should be a lock at Columbia with 3.82/172 anyway, no need to ED. Try Stanford as well! Good luck.

BTW: I am in both Tau beta Pi and Phi Beta Kappa, so technical majors can get PBK. Well, I got accepted into TBP but didn't pay the fee since I was in biomedical, so the Biomed society was the only one I wanted to pay for (next to pbk). At least one other engineer in TLS is in the same boat. Don't spin anything about your TBP in your application. TBP IS NOT the equivalent of PBK by a long shot. TBP needs a GPA and a sometimes recommendation and that's it. PBK needs GPA, language mastery and/or academic breadth (double majors, etc) and a recommendation (supposedly without request, but a lot of people request it given the prestige).
Last edited by R. Jeeves on Thu May 15, 2014 8:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

aboutmydaylight

Silver

Post by aboutmydaylight » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:38 pm

Uh at my UG PBK didn't require all that stuff you guys are listing. Just GPA requirement + fee. I didn't do it but I literally just needed to pay the fee to get in.

SnakySalmon

Bronze

Post by SnakySalmon » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:48 pm

aboutmydaylight wrote:Uh at my UG PBK didn't require all that stuff you guys are listing. Just GPA requirement + fee. I didn't do it but I literally just needed to pay the fee to get in.
At my UG they require at least math 180, fluency in another language, an upper level stats class, and a bunch of humanities ones.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

iskim88

Bronze

Post by iskim88 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:57 pm

PLEASE DON'T ED

chizzy

Silver

Post by chizzy » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:01 pm

dont ED. columbia has been very unpredictable this cycle especially with high scorers. its best to just put on your best application as much as possible and send in your app to the T-14's

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”