How will my criminal record affect me (MI)? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
ConfidentlyNervous

New

How will my criminal record affect me (MI)?

Post by ConfidentlyNervous » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:51 pm

I haven't taken the LSAT yet, the practice problems I've done seem easy enough but I am a slow test taker. My GPA is 3.7 and may go up to 3.8 this last semester of my undergrad.

I have had three deferments which resulted in no conviction and nothing on my public record. they were 6 or 7 years ago for: possession of marijuana, open intoxicants in vehicle. And then in a separate incident domestic violence which is never okay but in my case the seriousness may be mitigated by the fact that it was against my father who had occasionally physically abused me during my childhood and teen years (repeatedly punching for instance).

Then the kicker is that after several years of no more problems with the law and everything was going fine and I never expected to be arrested again, i was. I don't want to go into too many details here so that I don't specifically identify myself to anyone who may read this thread but basically I have a mental disorder which can cause paranoia and I was driving and another driver was road raging toward me and I thought I was in serious danger so I ran him off the road. There was only minor damage to both of our vehicles. Anyway I initially accepted a plea agreement to the FELONY of assault with a dangerous weapon. A lawyer was later able to prove that my original lawyer did not adequately represent me and was able to get it reduced to the misdemeanor of aggravated assault.

So my concerns are that if a school asks me whether I have ever been convicted or plead to a felony the answer is yes even though I should have never taken that plea and it was later reduced. Also now I have two violent charges (one conviction) in my history. Though both have mitigating factors. I take full responsibility for the open intox and possession of marijuana.

I now have been taking medication that completely has eliminated paranoia from my life.

Anyway should I spend the money to take the LSAT and try to get into schools? Will Michigan Bar allow someone with my background to become a lawyer?

*just to be clear I have not used marijuana in 6 or 7 years so the "paranoia" I describe is truly due to a mental disorder I have proof of.

Ricky-Bobby

Silver

Re: How will my criminal record affect me (MI)?

Post by Ricky-Bobby » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:36 pm

You should talk directly to the MI bar in this case. Explain your entire situation and see if they think you will be able to pass C&F when you're applying. There's no reason to waste 3 years and $100k+ just to be denied a bar card.

ConfidentlyNervous

New

Post by ConfidentlyNervous » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:11 pm

Thanks. I will do that. And that may be all I can do, but I mean they aren't obligated to do what they say they are going to do three years and 100k from now right? I mean if I tell them all the details now and they tell me I should be fine they could still reject me when it comes down to it.

Ricky-Bobby

Silver

Post by Ricky-Bobby » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:58 pm

No, they would not be obligated to accept you three years from now.

TigerDude

Bronze

Post by TigerDude » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:14 pm

If you pay an attorney for advice then it would be worth more.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”