164, 3.4 GPA, MS in Tax Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Kuledj

New

164, 3.4 GPA, MS in Tax

Post by Kuledj » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:50 am

Hi

I wanted to know what you thought about my possibilities of getting into Georgetown PT. Ive been working at a Big 4 accounting for over 3 years. Ive already gotten into GW but am waiting anxiously on Georgetown (my first choice).

Any ideas?

HoyaLawya16

New

Re: 164, 3.4 GPA, MS in Tax

Post by HoyaLawya16 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:53 pm

I think your chances are greater than you think they are. You'll be competing in a larger pool of applicants because there are fewer spots for people with your credentials, but I think your work experience makes up for your less than perfect GPA. I know many people who got in with similar credentials, and they came straight from undergrad. Stay positive, your odds are not bad!!!

*edit, just saw your major. Much better than if you had a 3.4 in a liberal arts major. Unless the rest of your application was weak, you should be fine. Let me know if you get in!!!

#GOHOYAS

Ramius

Gold

Post by Ramius » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:00 pm

Kuledj wrote:Hi

I wanted to know what you thought about my possibilities of getting into Georgetown PT. Ive been working at a Big 4 accounting for over 3 years. Ive already gotten into GW but am waiting anxiously on Georgetown (my first choice).

Any ideas?
I disagree with the above poster because PT numbers now affect usnwr, so the days of accepting lower stats for PT are over. You'll probably need a retake to get gulc.

Kuledj

New

Post by Kuledj » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:01 pm

HoyaLawya16 wrote:I think your chances are greater than you think they are. You'll be competing in a larger pool of applicants because there are fewer spots for people with your credentials, but I think your work experience makes up for your less than perfect GPA. I know many people who got in with similar credentials, and they came straight from undergrad. Stay positive, your odds are not bad!!!

*edit, just saw your major. Much better than if you had a 3.4 in a liberal arts major. Unless the rest of your application was weak, you should be fine. Let me know if you get in!!!

#GOHOYAS

thanks for the positive response. if nothing else, it made me feel good for a few minutes :D. Hopefully, from your mouth to their ears.

Kuledj

New

Post by Kuledj » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:12 pm

matthewsean85 wrote:
Kuledj wrote:Hi

Any ideas?
I disagree with the above poster because PT numbers now affect usnwr, so the days of accepting lower stats for PT are over. You'll probably need a retake to get gulc.
You could be right, but I think the reason why traditionally the PT numbers were lower was bc the applicant pools numbers were lower and if they want to fill the classes, they need to lower their numbers. I imagine the lower numbers are bc PTers do not have as much time to study for the LSATs.

If this isn't the case, do you think these schools will just have much smaller PT classes moving forward?

Ramius

Gold

Post by Ramius » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:46 pm

I'm pretty sure they'll still get their numbers by using splitters, which you aren't really.

If you really, really want GULC PT, you need to retake, get 168+ and give them a strong reason to accept you. I'm not mad at you for giving it a shot now, but realize that you're at a distinct disadvantage as it is and your chances are not good.

Don't make the mistake of thinking because you're a PT applicant that you won't still be subject to their numbers requirements. You're well below both medians. Get at or above one of them (I'm guessing GULC will be 168 this cycle based on info I've seen) and give them a reason to accept you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”