Bad attempt to delete post Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
go_bears

New

Bad attempt to delete post

Post by go_bears » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:49 pm

xoxo gossip girl
Last edited by go_bears on Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

tiltedwindmill

Bronze

Re: 157/3.6 GPA

Post by tiltedwindmill » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:12 pm

go_bears wrote:I scored a 157 on the LSAT and I feel with my terrible test anxiety I don't want to put myself through taking the test again (this was my 2nd after canceling) so I am applying for this cycle. I have a 3.6 from Berkeley, have an above average personal statement, work full-time, and have some pretty good softs (on the executive board of a charity organization). I am applying to Loyola (both my father and cousin went there), Pepperdine, USC (my godfather went there), Hastings, Davis, Irvine, but am open to any suggestions.
**I really don't know why I included my familial relationship to the school, I kinda just threw it out there-- I mean, if it helps, it helps; if it doesn't, that's ok too.

Also, while I appreciate honest feedback, I really don't care to hear elitist remarks about how if you aren't going to HYS or have a 170+ I have no business applying. Thanks guys!
The softs that you have are average at best, I would not rely on an above average PS, even a good on is only going to help at the margins. Your LSAT score, in any case, will negate all of these factors. The only option worth pursing is USC and you would have to get a 165+ on the lsat.

Law school grading is all based on exams, so prohibitive text anxiety does not bode well for your prospects and your prospects are already limited by your (prospective) school choice.

Edit: sorry for the typos- on a phone.
Last edited by tiltedwindmill on Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

yomisterd

Gold

Post by yomisterd » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:19 pm

Retake.

blackbirdfly

Bronze

Post by blackbirdfly » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:21 pm

First,
tiltedwindmill wrote: Law school grading is all based on exams, so prohibitive text anxiety does not bode well for your prospects and your prospects are already limited by your (prospective) school choice.
You have a shot at Loyola and maybe Pepperdine, but I'm not sure about the rest.

USC is a big reach.

go_bears

New

Post by go_bears » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:52 pm

xoxo gossip girl
Last edited by go_bears on Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:05 pm

go_bears wrote:Thank you for the feedback/responses, I really appreciate it.
tiltedwindmill wrote:
go_bears wrote:I scored a 157 on the LSAT and I feel with my terrible test anxiety I don't want to put myself through taking the test again (this was my 2nd after canceling) so I am applying for this cycle. I have a 3.6 from Berkeley, have an above average personal statement, work full-time, and have some pretty good softs (on the executive board of a charity organization). I am applying to Loyola (both my father and cousin went there), Pepperdine, USC (my godfather went there), Hastings, Davis, Irvine, but am open to any suggestions.
**I really don't know why I included my familial relationship to the school, I kinda just threw it out there-- I mean, if it helps, it helps; if it doesn't, that's ok too.

Also, while I appreciate honest feedback, I really don't care to hear elitist remarks about how if you aren't going to HYS or have a 170+ I have no business applying. Thanks guys!
The softs that you have are average at best, I would not rely on an above average PS, even a good on is only going to help at the margins. Your LSAT score, in any case, will negate all of these factors. The only option worth pursing is USC and you would have to get a 165+ on the lsat.

Law school grading is all based on exams, so prohibitive text anxiety does not bode well for your prospects and your prospects are already limited by your (prospective) school choice.
The test anxiety refers to exams such as the LSAT, SAT, or potentially the Bar-- I think it's the build up and thought that everything rests on a single test. Once in school, I can academically compete-- I don't have anxiety on finals or midterms. But I understand that test anxiety is a poor excuse and appreciate your honesty.
There's a lot of build up to law exams and everything rests on that single exam for each subject. And then you have to think that for many jobs, everything rests on your first year grades.

Basically, law school will eat you alive if you have a problem with test anxiety. Got to get that down first, then retake and attend USC at the very worst. The rest of the schools in CA just don't have good enough employment outcomes to justify the cost/3 years of your life.

aviatrixsteff

New

Post by aviatrixsteff » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:11 pm

I would recommended sitting out this cycle and retaking. I think you're capable of a higher score and spending more time studying and preparing for it would likely lower your test anxiety. It's really just a test!
I know waiting another year to start might sound unfavorable, but getting into a better school could impact your life a lot.

muskies970

Bronze

Post by muskies970 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:34 pm

go_bears wrote:
The test anxiety refers to exams such as the LSAT, SAT, or potentially the Bar-- I think it's the build up and thought that everything rests on a single test. Once in school, I can academically compete-- I don't have anxiety on finals or midterms. But I understand that test anxiety is a poor excuse and appreciate your honesty.
What do you think happens in law school? 1L exams are 5 times as stressful as the LSAT imo, mostly because you've never really had a chance for graded feedback before, and you're competing against others not just yourself. You've also only had a few months (and really just a few weeks) with the material, whereas you can spend so much time on the LSAT. Not to mention you'll have 3-5 exams in a short period of time, compared to the LSAT once.

Not saying you should only apply with a 170+, however you should seriously consider whether you honestly believe you'll be able to succeed in law school without resolving your test anxiety. And the best way to prove that to yourself, or us, is to crush the LSAT, or at least come out of it feeling confident and not having anxiety.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:37 pm

Youre going to be over paying at all those schools without a median or above LSAT...

retake for $$$

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

go_bears

New

Post by go_bears » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:39 pm

xoxo gossip girl
Last edited by go_bears on Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:41 pm

go_bears wrote: Loyola in
Pepperdine toss up
USC out
Hastings out
Davis out
Irvine out
http://mylsn.info/gzqnus/

muskies970

Bronze

Post by muskies970 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:49 pm

go_bears wrote:Maybe I should set the background for what my plans are with my law degree for a better understanding of why I'm selecting these schools-- I don't have any intention of going to HYS or the east coast.

I am a communications major (PR-focused) with the intention of using my law degree for reading/writing contracts (entertainment/corporate law work). I am hoping that a law degree combined with my degree in communications will enhance the opportunities available, but working for a law firm isn't necessarily all I am looking to do. My dad is an accountant/attorney and he specialized in taxation, claiming that his law degree opens doors and opportunities you wouldn't normally have with just an undergraduate degree (and essentially he is footing the bill for law school).

Any thoughts on this?
three years of foregone income while you're in law school (opportunity cost), plus if your dad is willing to pay 200k for you to go to law school just take that money and buy a nice house.

All of that money when you don't even want to be a lawyer and because you think it will open up more doors to you? Sigh

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:58 pm

go_bears wrote:I am a communications major (PR-focused) with the intention of using my law degree for reading/writing contracts (entertainment/corporate law work).
Maybe 10% of the students at the schools you mentioned (besides USC) will have the opportunity to do corporate/entertainment transactional work

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:07 am

muskies970 wrote:
go_bears wrote:Maybe I should set the background for what my plans are with my law degree for a better understanding of why I'm selecting these schools-- I don't have any intention of going to HYS or the east coast.

I am a communications major (PR-focused) with the intention of using my law degree for reading/writing contracts (entertainment/corporate law work). I am hoping that a law degree combined with my degree in communications will enhance the opportunities available, but working for a law firm isn't necessarily all I am looking to do. My dad is an accountant/attorney and he specialized in taxation, claiming that his law degree opens doors and opportunities you wouldn't normally have with just an undergraduate degree (and essentially he is footing the bill for law school).

Any thoughts on this?
three years of foregone income while you're in law school (opportunity cost), plus if your dad is willing to pay 200k for you to go to law school just take that money and buy a nice house.

All of that money when you don't even want to be a lawyer and because you think it will open up more doors to you? Sigh
To be fair, 200K isn't going to buy much of anything nice in LA.

Certainly agree with the general sentiment though.

OP- baby boomers like your dad, while they might mean well, generally have no clue about what the legal job market looks like these days (or any job market really). A law degree will most likely work as a detriment to attaining non-legal employment (3 years wasted away in school instead of working and a lot of non-legal employers will think you don't really want to work for them and will just bolt at your first fancy lawyer job offer) and if you attend any of these non-USC schools and don't do very, very well, most likely you will be precluded from any legal employment as well. These schools are very, very bad if you want to get a job.

go_bears

New

Re: Bad attempt to delete post

Post by go_bears » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:44 am

Thank you for all the feedback y'all. I realize that people may not agree with why I chose to apply to law school, but to each his/her own. I have no doubts that I be successful in the future and when life throws a curveball, just roll with it-- the scores aren't indicative of my potential and I hope anyone who finds themselves in a similar situation remembers that.

Good luck to everyone who is waiting to hear or is in the last stretch of their applications! Congratulations to those who have already heard-- I hope everyone gets in where they wanted and I wish everyone a successful career in whatever endeavor they choose to pursue!

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:48 am

If you have test anxiety how do you think you're going to far in a law school exam?

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:54 am

Mal Reynolds wrote:If you have test anxiety how do you think you're going to far in a law school exam?
This post has many levels of win

I think he's gone though bro. We tried.

sillymike

New

Post by sillymike » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:57 pm

go_bears wrote: I have no doubts that I be successful in the future

Ummm..... :shock:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “What are my chances?”