Non-trad. 163/3.26 chances Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
klondike5

New

Non-trad. 163/3.26 chances

Post by klondike5 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:50 pm

Applying pretty broadly with no particular area of the country in mind. My wife makes good money and is able to work from home. I have no retakes left so that is not an option, unfortunately 163 is the number. LOR's are ok not great, personal statement is solid and unique and I have almost 20 years of work experience in leadership positions. LSAC GPA is 3.26 which includes some bad grades from 20 years ago, GPA the last 4 years of full time school is 3.87 while working a full time management position. I have an addendum that explains it in better depth. I have looked at LSN and Predictor and it looks like I have some chance at most of them though they are reaches. I am applying to some others that I think I have better chances at, but these are the ones I am not sure about.

UCI
WUSTL
Notre Dame
ASU
BU/BC
UNC
Wake
Georgia
UF/FSU

Thanks

J-e-L-L-o

Bronze

Re: Non-trad. 163/3.26 chances

Post by J-e-L-L-o » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:12 am

Why not leverage your work experience and get an MBA? Why law school after working 20 years?

Those options won't be great without good scholarships.

klondike5

New

Post by klondike5 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:18 pm

J-e-L-L-o wrote:Why not leverage your work experience and get an MBA? Why law school after working 20 years?

Thanks for the reply. I am not really interested in an MBA. I don't want to use the term burned out when describing the last 10 years of business experience, I would say I have accomplished everything I set out to do in that realm and want to move on. Law is what I want to do for the remaining years of my hopefully very long work life. I understand that scholarship money makes these all much more attractive choices , but we are financially sound so there will be little to no COA other than tuition (I am aware of the opportunity cost of losing 3 years of income but we are fiscally prepared to make that decision). I am currently in Florida so UF and FSU would be instate and most of the other schools I applied to that are not mentioned above are state schools and I have already looked into the requirements of in-state tuition for those choices, so there are alternatives that I am looking at that will be much less expensive after the first year. These are just some of the schools I am applying to that I think I have a chance at, but want to hear if others think the same or if I am completely delusional.

nebula666

Silver

Post by nebula666 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:51 am

klondike5 wrote: UCI - out
WUSTL - out
Notre Dame - out
ASU - in
BU/BC - out
UNC - in
Wake - in
Georgia - in
UF/FSU - in

Thanks
If you want to work in Florida, UF/FSU are not bad in your situation but you should retake. Don't go to any of these schools if you aren't willing to work in that state after graduating.

mx23250

Silver

Post by mx23250 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:16 am

Last edited by mx23250 on Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:03 am

klondike5 wrote:
J-e-L-L-o wrote:Why not leverage your work experience and get an MBA? Why law school after working 20 years?

Thanks for the reply. I am not really interested in an MBA. I don't want to use the term burned out when describing the last 10 years of business experience, I would say I have accomplished everything I set out to do in that realm and want to move on. Law is what I want to do for the remaining years of my hopefully very long work life. I understand that scholarship money makes these all much more attractive choices , but we are financially sound so there will be little to no COA other than tuition (I am aware of the opportunity cost of losing 3 years of income but we are fiscally prepared to make that decision). I am currently in Florida so UF and FSU would be instate and most of the other schools I applied to that are not mentioned above are state schools and I have already looked into the requirements of in-state tuition for those choices, so there are alternatives that I am looking at that will be much less expensive after the first year. These are just some of the schools I am applying to that I think I have a chance at, but want to hear if others think the same or if I am completely delusional.
The grass is not greener on the other side.

I had a somewhat similar experience, and I can say there's a very good chance you'll regret this decision. Feel free to PM me for more details

klondike5

New

Post by klondike5 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:54 am

guano wrote:
klondike5 wrote:

I had a somewhat similar experience, and I can say there's a very good chance you'll regret this decision. Feel free to PM me for more details
I appreciate the input and I am sorry to hear your law school experience has not been as good as you had hoped. I understand the risks and I am aware of the legal market, as I am sure you are. This is a risk that we all take to pursue the opportunity. It's a far greater risk for me at a 163 looking at UNC than it would have been at 170 looking at Duke obviously, but it is a calculated risk we are willing to take.

Like I said above, the COA is going to be tuition only and even if I have to slink back to a position like my current one beaten and defeated by the legal market, that is a manageable amount of debt considering our income. We are aware of the worst case and we know what a 120k bill in the mail looks like and what that does to limit our financial opportunities in other areas. I understand there are better things I can do with 120k than going to school to not get a job, but I don't think that these schools are terrible choices with impossible positive employment outcomes (all between 65% and 70% with UCI at 82% on LST which I know is flawed but that's the best tool we have). I genuinely hope you were/are in a position where whatever debt you took on is not crippling, I know for us the numbers it would cost for me to addend these schools is not.

klondike5

New

Post by klondike5 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:01 pm

nebula666 wrote:
klondike5 wrote: UCI - out
WUSTL - out
Notre Dame - out
ASU - in
BU/BC - out
UNC - in
Wake - in
Georgia - in
UF/FSU - in

Thanks
If you want to work in Florida, UF/FSU are not bad in your situation but you should retake. Don't go to any of these schools if you aren't willing to work in that state after graduating.
I wouldn't mind staying in Florida and attending either, but they both have a well deserved reputation of being stin...financially conservative so I would in all likelihood be paying in-state all three years which isn't terribly expensive. None of these are places I wouldn't be willing to work after graduation. We have family and friends in many of them. Unfortunately I have no retakes left so that isn't an option.

LET'S GET IT

Silver

Post by LET'S GET IT » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:53 pm

klondike5 wrote:
guano wrote:
klondike5 wrote:

I appreciate the input and I am sorry to hear your law school experience has not been as good as you had hoped. I understand the risks and I am aware of the legal market, as I am sure you are. This is a risk that we all take to pursue the opportunity. It's a far greater risk for me at a 163 looking at UNC than it would have been at 170 looking at Duke obviously, but it is a calculated risk we are willing to take.

Like I said above, the COA is going to be tuition only and even if I have to slink back to a position like my current one beaten and defeated by the legal market, that is a manageable amount of debt considering our income. We are aware of the worst case and we know what a 120k bill in the mail looks like and what that does to limit our financial opportunities in other areas. I understand there are better things I can do with 120k than going to school to not get a job, but I don't think that these schools are terrible choices with impossible positive employment outcomes (all between 65% and 70% with UCI at 82% on LST which I know is flawed but that's the best tool we have). I genuinely hope you were/are in a position where whatever debt you took on is not crippling, I know for us the numbers it would cost for me to addend these schools is not.
Man I hear you. I am in a similar situation to you, leaving a solid job to attend law school with the support of my wife. I know what the guy is saying, but you don't want to stay in a job in which you are not happy for the next 40 years just to avoid any risk. That is a good list of schools. Apply to all of them. You will get into some and not into others, I don't know which ones. When you have your options in hand, go with your gut. I am leaning to WASHU so maybe I will see you there. But if your gut isn't leaning one way or another, keep in mind it's always easier to get a job where you have ties so going the FU/FSU route may not be a bad idea. Good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:52 pm

What do you want to do in the law?

klondike5

New

Post by klondike5 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:31 pm

LET'S GET IT wrote:
klondike5 wrote:
guano wrote:

Man I hear you. I am in a similar situation to you, leaving a solid job to attend law school with the support of my wife. I know what the guy is saying, but you don't want to stay in a job in which you are not happy for the next 40 years just to avoid any risk. That is a good list of schools. Apply to all of them. You will get into some and not into others, I don't know which ones. When you have your options in hand, go with your gut. I am leaning to WASHU so maybe I will see you there. But if your gut isn't leaning one way or another, keep in mind it's always easier to get a job where you have ties so going the FU/FSU route may not be a bad idea. Good luck!
Thanks for the reply, and I agree I cannot imagine doing something for so long that I have no passion for. What I am doing is fine, but at this point it is simply a paycheck and this has never been a great motivator for me. WASHU is absolutely in my top 3 so I am really hoping to get in there.

klondike5

New

Post by klondike5 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:39 pm

timbs4339 wrote:What do you want to do in the law?
I would prefer something along the lines of PD/Prosecutor, PI, Govt., etc. though I am not opposed to mid/big law if the opportunity presents itself.

nebula666

Silver

Post by nebula666 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:40 pm

klondike5 wrote:
I would prefer something along the lines of PD/Prosecutor, PI, Govt., etc. though I am not opposed to mid/big law if the opportunity presents itself.
FSU is pretty solid for a government job if you can keep costs down. They will throw some $ at you with a 163.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

klondike5

New

Post by klondike5 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:31 pm

nebula666 wrote:
klondike5 wrote:
FSU is pretty solid for a government job if you can keep costs down. They will throw some $ at you with a 163.
That's what I am hoping, despite the fact that they don't give out money as often as similar and higher ranked schools. Maybe with the downward trend in applicants this year will be different. The in-state cost isn't bad but <70k is better than >70k. Being right in the middle of the capitol certainly opens a few doors that might otherwise not be there. I really liked the school too.

nebula666

Silver

Post by nebula666 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:14 am

klondike5 wrote:
nebula666 wrote:
klondike5 wrote:
That's what I am hoping, despite the fact that they don't give out money as often as similar and higher ranked schools. Maybe with the downward trend in applicants this year will be different. The in-state cost isn't bad but <70k is better than >70k. Being right in the middle of the capitol certainly opens a few doors that might otherwise not be there. I really liked the school too.
Yeah it's pretty easy finding a summer job in Tally, especially in government. I still think you should retake though.

klondike5

New

Post by klondike5 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:15 am

nebula666 wrote: Yeah it's pretty easy finding a summer job in Tally, especially in government. I still think you should retake though.
I wish I could, I'm a 3 timer

J-e-L-L-o

Bronze

Post by J-e-L-L-o » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:49 pm

You can take a 4th. You have to find a school that will allow the score. There are a few threads about it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “What are my chances?”