From median -3 LSAT, -.2 UGPA, guaranteed job on graduation Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Bassett16

New

From median -3 LSAT, -.2 UGPA, guaranteed job on graduation

Post by Bassett16 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:11 pm

I have a 3.4 LSAC GPA and a 158 LSAT. I'm applying to a Midwest school with medians at 3.59 and 161 (2013).

I have a guaranteed job upon graduation in a full-time, bar passage required position at a salary that is at the 75th salary percentile of the 2012 graduates from the school.

What do you think are my chances? I'm not retaking...I already have a job and have savings to pay for law school. Thoughts??

rad lulz

Platinum

Re: From median -3 LSAT, -.2 UGPA, guaranteed job on graduation

Post by rad lulz » Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:22 pm

Probable reject bc below both medians

Bassett16

New

Post by Bassett16 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:35 pm

Really? Even though Ill be able to boost their USNWR ranking through the guaranteed post-grad employment? For softs I'm a veteran, published an article in a law review while in the military, speak fluent Spanish, and lived in South America as a youngster. Am I really going to get trumped by being below both those medians?

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:38 pm

Bassett16 wrote:Really? Even though Ill be able to boost their USNWR ranking through the guaranteed post-grad employment? For softs I'm a veteran, published an article in a law review while in the military, speak fluent Spanish, and lived in South America as a youngster. Am I really going to get trumped by being below both those medians?
Probably. Although I'd love to see the admissions committee's response to a pitch based on guaranteed employment.

Bassett16

New

Post by Bassett16 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:56 pm

Wow really? I included a detailed addendum that addressed how I would MORE than compensate my entrance metrics with post grad employment. I even included the percentage breakdown. That just seems awfully counterintuitive, especially ITE

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:57 pm

Bassett16 wrote:Wow really? I included a detailed addendum that addressed how I would MORE than compensate my entrance metrics with post grad employment. I even included the percentage breakdown. That just seems awfully counterintuitive, especially ITE
I don't think you actually did this. Weak troll attempt.

nebula666

Silver

Post by nebula666 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:14 pm

The privilege is strong in this one. I'm below both medians? But my parents told me I was special! I don't care about the quality of my legal education, I have a job lined up.

midnight_circus

Bronze

Post by midnight_circus » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:17 pm

Bassett16 wrote:Wow really? I included a detailed addendum that addressed how I would MORE than compensate my entrance metrics with post grad employment. I even included the percentage breakdown. That just seems awfully counterintuitive, especially ITE
I'd ding you just for that.

californiauser

Silver

Post by californiauser » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:27 pm

It doesn't work like this. I'd be shocked if you didn't get dinged ASAP for arrogance.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

90convoy

Silver

Post by 90convoy » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:31 pm

Retake and get 161 it's not extremely hard..also if you have a job lined up why does it matter where you go???

Bassett16

New

Post by Bassett16 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:52 pm

Well I suppose I wrote the percentage breakdown because I wanted to "connect the dots" for the admissions committee on why they should look past my LSAT and UGPA. I sure didn't mean to sound arrogant, I guess I was just trying to calla spade a spade and break it down for them...

The school matters because it will likely mean about a 30k difference when it's all said and done in terms of money spent on education as it will be private vs in-state public tuition.

Should I rescind the addendum? Is that possible?

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:09 pm

retake :arrow: score 161+ :arrow: get in

nebula666

Silver

Post by nebula666 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:49 pm

Bassett16 wrote:Well I suppose I wrote the percentage breakdown because I wanted to "connect the dots" for the admissions committee on why they should look past my LSAT and UGPA. I sure didn't mean to sound arrogant, I guess I was just trying to calla spade a spade and break it down for them...

The school matters because it will likely mean about a 30k difference when it's all said and done in terms of money spent on education as it will be private vs in-state public tuition.

How could you possibly think that addendum was a good idea? Do you really think the school would rather have someone like you who will just coast through law school telling everyone you have a job lined up or someone who will actually bust their ass to secure themselves a job?

Again, please check your privilege.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:51 pm

Bassett16 wrote: Even though Ill be able to boost their USNWR ranking through the guaranteed post-grad employment??
GPA/LSAT > everything else

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:01 pm

Nova wrote:
Bassett16 wrote: Even though Ill be able to boost their USNWR ranking through the guaranteed post-grad employment??
GPA/LSAT > everything else
Exactly. And how can they verify that you have guaranteed post-grad employment? Anyone can write that in an addendum. Lots of things can happen between now and your graduation date to make that guaranteed job go away.

I'm not saying you definitely won't get in - I have no idea what your application looks like or what those particular adcomms will think of it, and stranger things have happened. But I don't think saying "I really will have a job at graduation" is going to make the difference.

daryldixon

Bronze

Post by daryldixon » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:04 pm

Bassett16 wrote:Well I suppose I wrote the percentage breakdown because I wanted to "connect the dots" for the admissions committee on why they should look past my LSAT and UGPA. I sure didn't mean to sound arrogant, I guess I was just trying to calla spade a spade and break it down for them...

Holy shit you really did this? I hope they give an explanation with your rejection. Please post it here if they do.

Arcticlynx

New

Post by Arcticlynx » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:24 pm

Did you also attach an affidavit from your future employer stating that they would actually employ you upon graduation???

If you were smart, you would have made the future employer one of your recommendation letters and left it alone in your application. Then I would give you a 50/50 of getting in off the wait list, because applications are down and said school will probably just be looking for people to fill their class come summertime. However, with the addendum about the percentage breakdown of employment metrics I think you probably seriously hurt your chances. No one wants to admit "that guy."

If everything you have said is true, I would submit some applications to schools where you would be competitive with a 3.4 LSAC GPA and a 158 LSAT. And get you future employer to make an argument for you in one of your letters. If they are willing to hire you three years out, before you have even been accepted to law school than they definitely see some potential in you, I would let them speak to that in your application, and keep your mouth shut about that job - let the employer talk about it.

I would also say retake, but if you have a job offer three years out right now, then you probably need to get you butt in law school ASAP
Last edited by Arcticlynx on Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Bassett16

New

Post by Bassett16 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:27 pm

nebula666 wrote:

The school matters because it will likely mean about a 30k difference when it's all said and done in terms of money spent on education as it will be private vs in-state public tuition. Should I rescind the addendum? Is that possible?
How could you possibly think that addendum was a good idea? Do you really think the school would rather have someone like you who

will just coast through law school telling everyone you have a job lined up or someone who will actually bust their ass to secure themselves a job?

Again, please check your privilege.
Insecurity I suppose is why I wrote the piece about post-graduation job security.
Last edited by Bassett16 on Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:31 pm

See, that actually might help get you accepted despite being below the medians - military service is generally seen as a good boost. (Depending on what your addendum looked like.) The thing is that there are a fair number of people who come on this forum and talk about "my uncle has promised to hire me in his firm after graduation" or even "I work at a big firm now and they'll hire me when I graduate" as "guaranteed employment," so not having the military context makes a big difference in how your question comes across.

Bassett16

New

Post by Bassett16 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:34 pm

I just looked up the employment stats and wrote about what makes numerical sense without thinking about the potential interpersonal/emotional effects of the statements. Well, I guess if I'm rejected I can't say I didn't ask for it...

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:34 pm

Retake and go somewhere for free

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ScottRiqui

Gold

Post by ScottRiqui » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:52 pm

BigZuck wrote:Retake and go somewhere for free
With FLEP/ELP, the government will pay tuition/fees, so he'll be going for free wherever he's accepted, while continuing to receive active duty pay. I don't know if he'll be able to pocket any scholarships, but I would suspect not.

I'm not sure how he's already been "selected" for FLEP/ELP if he hasn't been accepted to a law school yet, though - I thought you already had to have an acceptance in-hand before being officially chosen for the program, but I may be mistaken.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:01 am

ScottRiqui wrote:
BigZuck wrote:Retake and go somewhere for free
With FLEP/ELP, the government will pay tuition/fees, so he'll be going for free wherever he's accepted, while continuing to receive active duty pay. I don't know if he'll be able to pocket any scholarships, but I would suspect not.

I'm not sure how he's already been "selected" for FLEP/ELP if he hasn't been accepted to a law school yet, though - I thought you already had to have an acceptance in-hand before being officially chosen for the program, but I may be mistaken.
My B, didn't see that. Well then, retake to actually get in then I guess. The OP will probably have to find a different school after their little snafu, hopefully it won't be any harder to get into.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”