My chances at H, 3.5x GPA... Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Bleach7777

New

My chances at H, 3.5x GPA...

Post by Bleach7777 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:07 am

Hi! So what do you guys think I need to score on the LSAT to have a chance/lock-in at Harvard?

My stats: 3.5gpa,

URM: other Hispanic (Dominican republic) I have never claimed it before but I can also check the "Black" box because I am mixed but look 90% black, and am beginning to identify more with black anyway.

Also, I can get my GPA up to 3.6/3.7 if it will make a huge difference, but right now I'm focused on the LSAT.

I'm really worried I don't have a chance guys and Harvard is my dream school, I guess I'm just looking for some hope:/
Last edited by Bleach7777 on Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nebula666

Silver

Re: My chances at H, 3.5x GPA...

Post by nebula666 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:01 pm

At least 176 but even with a 180 it's not a lock. Aim lower.

midwest17

Gold

Post by midwest17 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:09 pm

It's hard to say, because there just aren't many splitter AA data points on myLSN. Maximize your LSAT, apply broadly, and see what happens.

nebula666

Silver

Post by nebula666 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:47 pm

midwest17 wrote:It's hard to say, because there just aren't many splitter AA data points on myLSN. Maximize your LSAT, apply broadly, and see what happens.
Being dominican is african american now?

midnight_circus

Bronze

Post by midnight_circus » Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:01 pm

nebula666 wrote:
midwest17 wrote:It's hard to say, because there just aren't many splitter AA data points on myLSN. Maximize your LSAT, apply broadly, and see what happens.
Nope. Being mixed African American is though.
Bleach7777 wrote: URM: other Hispanic (Dominican republic) I have never claimed it before but I can also check the "Black" box because I am mixed but look 90% black, and am beginning to identify more with black anyway.
OP: Three things. One, it doesn't matter if you "look" black. People will argue for days about the ethics of checking a minority box to get a boost if you don't "identify," but I say you should always check the boxes for everything you are. Besides, the fact that blacks supposedly get a much larger URM boost than dominicans will only help you. Two, aim for 180 and with your current gpa do not settle for less than 175. Even then it isn't a certainty but I'd say your chances are good. Three, yes, getting your gpa up to 3.7 would make a significant difference. Definitely try.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:41 pm

No LSAT score will make you a lock at H with a 3.5

Just do the best you can and let the chips fall

also:
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com
http://www.mylsn.info

UnderrateOverachieve

Bronze

Post by UnderrateOverachieve » Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:27 pm

Nova wrote:No LSAT score will make you a lock at H with a 3.5

Just do the best you can and let the chips fall

also:
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com
http://www.mylsn.info
Well he is a URM... so...

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:43 pm

UnderrateOverachieve wrote: Well he is a URM... so...
So what?

If youre referring to the chart, OP doesn't have an LSAT score.

If youre referring to the lock comment, being a URM doesn't mean a high LSAT would guarantee anything.

If OP checks the AA box, OP has a good shot at T14s with a 160+, and a good shot at H with like a 165+.

midwest17

Gold

Post by midwest17 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:55 pm

nebula666 wrote:
RC

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nebula666

Silver

Post by nebula666 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:22 pm

midwest17 wrote:
nebula666 wrote:
RC
Yeah I was a little confused by OP's explanation. I thought he meant that he is Dominican but has very dark skin though neither parent is actually of African descent. If he meant that he is a mix between Dominican and AA, then that is a different story.

Bleach7777

New

Post by Bleach7777 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:19 pm

Hey everyone! Thanks for all your thoughtful responses! I guess I'll try my best at a 180 and 3.7 and let the chips fall where they may. Oh, and Dominicans are about 90% mixed, most being of African descent (including myself).

All in all, I guess this forum will be my new (and only) best friend for the next year =)

Bleach7777

New

Post by Bleach7777 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:52 pm

Oh my god.... So I completely forgot about calculating my LSAC GPA and just found out that it is 3.67 :O with about 3 semesters to go, it can get as high as 3.82. I don't quite understand, my UGPA is 3.5x but my LSAC GPA is 3.67. Does this benefit me in any way? Is this (LSACGPA) what law schools count as the GPA in the admissions process? :?:

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:17 pm

Bleach7777 wrote:Oh my god.... So I completely forgot about calculating my LSAC GPA and just found out that it is 3.67 :O with about 3 semesters to go, it can get as high as 3.82. I don't quite understand, my UGPA is 3.5x but my LSAC GPA is 3.67. Does this benefit me in any way? Is this (LSACGPA) what law schools count as the GPA in the admissions process? :?:
That dramatically improves your chances. Every A at this point counts, and a 3.82 will absolutely help your cycle.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

midnight_circus

Bronze

Post by midnight_circus » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:16 pm

Bleach7777 wrote:Oh my god.... So I completely forgot about calculating my LSAC GPA and just found out that it is 3.67 :O with about 3 semesters to go, it can get as high as 3.82. I don't quite understand, my UGPA is 3.5x but my LSAC GPA is 3.67. Does this benefit me in any way? Is this (LSACGPA) what law schools count as the GPA in the admissions process? :?:
That benefits you tremendously. A 3.82 is almost Harvard's median. You wouldn't be a splitter anymore. Still aim for 180 on the lsat, but that gpa would give you a bit more wiggle room.

Bleach7777

New

Post by Bleach7777 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:16 pm

Ok, thank you guys for the advice! This site is great thanks to whoever started it, if I were to become rich and famous one day I'd come back here and donate or create some type of scholarship program or something haha :p

teampeeta

Bronze

Post by teampeeta » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:19 am

I agree with all the posters who've said that you should improve your GPA as much as you can before you apply.

That said, if you got 176+ on the LSAT and aren't an axe murderer/ a completely ineffective interviewer, I can't imagine that Harvard would turn you down even with a 3.5X. There are so few URMs who score that high, especially AAs if that's what you identify as, that you'd be in a pretty sweet spot.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:18 am

Just to clear this up: Dominicans are not considered URM AAs. This is due to the simple (and relatively self evident?) fact that they are not African Americans. Part of the Diaspora, sure, but that is a historical/cultural question, not a representation one. URM status goes to those applicants whose ethnic makeup are under-represented in ABA law schools relative to their respective % of the population: Dominicans do not fall under this categorization.

Moreover, Dominicans range from near-white to very dark skinned. Just being on the "blacker" spectrum is not sufficient to inherit the legacy of the African american historical struggle/prejudice

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

midnight_circus

Bronze

Post by midnight_circus » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:38 am

jbagelboy wrote:Just to clear this up: Dominicans are not considered URM AAs. This is due to the simple (and relatively self evident?) fact that they are not African Americans. Part of the Diaspora, sure, but that is a historical/cultural question, not a representation one. URM status goes to those applicants whose ethnic makeup are under-represented in ABA law schools relative to their respective % of the population: Dominicans do not fall under this categorization.

Moreover, Dominicans range from near-white to very dark skinned. Just being on the "blacker" spectrum is not sufficient to inherit the legacy of the African american historical struggle/prejudice
Right. I was assuming he was mixed, since he said so in the OP. (Buried in there beside the strange comment that he looks 90% black.) Also here:
Bleach7777 wrote:Oh, and Dominicans are about 90% mixed, most being of African descent (including myself).
I'm assuming OP is American because I have no idea how/if urm categories work for internationals. But if OP's heritage includes any of the black racial groups of Africa, I believe he is, at least for the purposes of LSAC & admissions, sufficiently defined as African American. Mixed applicants apparently receive the full boost of their most minority status, which in his case would be AA. But if OP immigrated from the Dominican Republic or something to that effect, I don't know if he can claim AA? Someone else would have to help with that.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:08 am

midnight_circus wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:Just to clear this up: Dominicans are not considered URM AAs. This is due to the simple (and relatively self evident?) fact that they are not African Americans. Part of the Diaspora, sure, but that is a historical/cultural question, not a representation one. URM status goes to those applicants whose ethnic makeup are under-represented in ABA law schools relative to their respective % of the population: Dominicans do not fall under this categorization.

Right. I was assuming he was mixed, since he said so in the OP. (Buried in there beside the strange comment that he looks 90% black.) Also here:
Bleach7777 wrote:Oh, and Dominicans are about 90% mixed, most being of African descent (including myself).
I'm assuming OP is American because I have no idea how/if urm categories work for internationals. But if OP's heritage includes any of the black racial groups of Africa, I believe he is, at least for the purposes of LSAC & admissions, sufficiently defined as African American. Mixed applicants apparently receive the full boost of their most minority status, which in his case would be AA. But if OP immigrated from the Dominican Republic or something to that effect, I don't know if he can claim AA? Someone else would have to help with that.
True, if OPs grandparents immigrated during Trujillo and have since become identified with/"mixed" with the AA community, OP may be lumped in with that historically under-represented group.

However, it is important to note that "mixed" in this context as the OP uses it more likely refers to heritage of intermarriage during the 1600s and 1700s of African and Spanish-descended families. This isnt mixed in the Bill de Blasio sense (where as you pointed out, any kids they had together get the full benefit of the AA parent). And if OP is a first or second gen, sure as shit Jessica Soban can tell the difference in connotation here.

Either way, none of this precludes OP from writing a killer diversity statement. Hit 174+, and he/she stands a decent-good chance at Harvard with a ~3.7 GPA.

Bleach7777

New

Post by Bleach7777 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:41 am

I did immigrate from the DR but I was very young, I grew up in the U.S. In the U.S. people have mostly considered me to be black/African American or mixed black. I think I'll be alright claiming Black on the app because I grew up with that experience in America (and identify with that part of myself as well), but I'm also Hispanic. Thus, I believe I should check both boxes for other Hispanic and black.

sunnyd101

New

Post by sunnyd101 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:23 pm

Dominicans, along with anyone else who identifies as Hispanic/Latino/Spanish, can be of any race (http://www.census.gov/population/race/). I believe most applications say "Black or African American" or "Black/African American" under the racial categorization. I thought the URM "boost" (whatever that might be) was based on race, not "ethnic makeup." Therefore, I am under the assumption that a Dominican (or any Hispanic person) who identifies as black can select black, a mixed race Hispanic/Spanish/Latino person can select whatever races they identify with, and a white Hispanic/Latino/Spanish person can select white/Caucasian. Is that completely incorrect?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:56 pm

sunnyd101 wrote:

Dominicans, along with anyone else who identifies as Hispanic/Latino/Spanish, can be of any race (http://www.census.gov/population/race/). I believe most applications say "Black or African American" or "Black/African American" under the racial categorization. I thought the URM "boost" (whatever that might be) was based on race, not "ethnic makeup." Therefore, I am under the assumption that a Dominican (or any Hispanic person) who identifies as black can select black, a mixed race Hispanic/Spanish/Latino person can select whatever races they identify with, and a white Hispanic/Latino/Spanish person can select white/Caucasian. Is that completely incorrect?
I don't think it is that simple. Either way, the degree to which "black" and "African-American" are synonymous for URM purposes (and whether checking the 'black' box is sufficient to receive the boost in a review/interview intensive process) is a question better reserved for the URM board.

OP, be sure to include your perspective and identification for clarification in your diversity statement, and most importantly, good luck on your LSAT!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:14 pm

sunny's understanding is how I understood it to work, too. I'm by no means an expert but I'm pretty sure the consensus here is that being black from wherever confers the boost, not only being African-American (so in that respect it's not like the Hispanic boost, which tends to help only Hispanics of particular ancestries).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”