Is my cycle over, save scholarship consideration? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
redsoxfan1989

Bronze

Is my cycle over, save scholarship consideration?

Post by redsoxfan1989 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:31 pm

Deleted, thanks
Last edited by redsoxfan1989 on Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Re: Is my cycle over, save scholarship consideration?

Post by jbagelboy » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:50 pm

Depends entirely on what high 160s and what 3.8 we are talking about. Cant tell you much otherwise. Congrats on the schools you are in at already, great options.

If 169, strong chance at NYU and Penn, less at Chicago and little at Columbia. If over S gpa median, then some slim chance there - out at H.

If 168 or below, not a great shot at the rest but some later in the cycle or off WL at NYU/Penn , depending on gpa.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:00 am

jbagelboy wrote:Depends entirely on what high 160s and what 3.8 we are talking about. Cant tell you much otherwise. Congrats on the schools you are in at already, great options.

If 169, strong chance at NYU and Penn, less at Chicago and little at Columbia. If over S gpa median, then some slim chance there - out at H.

If 168 or below, not a great shot at the rest but some later in the cycle or off WL at NYU/Penn , depending on gpa.
"High 160s LSAT" has got to be a 168, right?

Anyway, http://www.mylsn.info

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:15 am

Could you get more vague? Why not just say you took the LSAT, and let us guess...

redsoxfan1989

Bronze

Post by redsoxfan1989 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:26 am

Clearly wrote:Could you get more vague? Why not just say you took the LSAT, and let us guess...
Deleted
Last edited by redsoxfan1989 on Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

UnicornHunter

Diamond

Post by UnicornHunter » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:44 am

redsoxfan1989 wrote:
Clearly wrote:Could you get more vague? Why not just say you took the LSAT, and let us guess...
Ok, I'll play. 169.

You've got a great shot at Penn then.

liammial

New

Post by liammial » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:56 am

I'm sorry, but this is an absolute joke if it's true. A one point increase (which is literally ONE QUESTION on the LSAT) is the difference between having a great chance and having little chance at [X] school? How does that make any sense? Guess right on one 50/50 question and you're into NYU; guess wrong and you're out?

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:23 am

liammial wrote:I'm sorry, but this is an absolute joke if it's true. A one point increase (which is literally ONE QUESTION on the LSAT) is the difference between having a great chance and having little chance at [X] school? How does that make any sense? Guess right on one 50/50 question and you're into NYU; guess wrong and you're out?
If you want things to make sense then law might not be the field for you.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:53 am

liammial wrote:I'm sorry, but this is an absolute joke if it's true. A one point increase (which is literally ONE QUESTION on the LSAT) is the difference between having a great chance and having little chance at [X] school? How does that make any sense? Guess right on one 50/50 question and you're into NYU; guess wrong and you're out?
It used to be 170 and 169. Now, 169 is the new 170, so 168 is good for lower T14, but shoot for 169 for T7.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:14 am

:|
:| :| :| :|
That's how admissions tests and medians work...If you get things right, you get better results. This is a problem? A school with a 170 median is helped by a student with a 171, and hurt by a student with a 169... It's a fine line, but there has to be a line somewhere...

Fiero85

Gold

Post by Fiero85 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:30 am

Clearly wrote::|
:| :| :| :|
That's how admissions tests and medians work...If you get things right, you get better results. This is a problem? A school with a 170 median is helped by a student with a 171, and hurt by a student with a 169... It's a fine line, but there has to be a line somewhere...
This. Medians are used for rankings >>> Medians are valued by admins >>>small differences that make you at/above/below medians matter.

Also, a one point increase is not always one question. Could be two. And guessing on 5 option multiple choice exam is worse than 50/50 chances. More importantly: one or two additional questions correct at the margin will likely be harder questions, at least as you approach 170's. Those top difficulty 10-15 questions could be worthy of their differentiation power.

yossarian

Silver

Post by yossarian » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:48 am

Fiero85 wrote:
liammial wrote: Also, a one point increase is not always one question. Could be two. And guessing on 5 option multiple choice exam is worse than 50/50 chances. More importantly: one or two additional questions correct at the margin will likely be harder questions, at least as you approach 170's. Those top difficulty 10-15 questions could be worthy of their differentiation power.
This makes sense, and I suppose, is correct. But, I understand the argument against it. We all tested all over the place for ever. Then, even when ready to take the test, most of us have a 2-3 point range. So, your logic makes sense. But, assuming everyone operates within a 2-3 or even 4 point range when ready to test, that makes the 1 point much less significance from the scorer's perspective.

All said, like any standardized test, Law Schools should find a way to take a more formative picture of students rather than only a summative picture.

But, that gets away from the OP. Sorry, I don't have any insight on that. Wish I could help, and good luck.

redsoxfan1989

Bronze

Post by redsoxfan1989 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:50 am

Thanks for the guidance all -- I'll just wait for the likely inevitable waitlisting and hope that the schools that I have gotten into decide to give me help!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Dr. Review

Gold

Post by Dr. Review » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:54 am

yossarian71 wrote:But, assuming everyone operates within a 2-3 or even 4 point range when ready to test, that makes the 1 point much less significance from the scorer's perspective.
The key here is that law schools can't report out what you are CAPABLE of scoring, but what you ACTUALLY scored. That's why people offer the advice "retake" so frequently on here. Often, just a couple of questions can mean the difference between a school worth attending or a place that likely leaves you with a bad outcome.

Like it or not, that's how it is. C'est la vie.

Fiero85

Gold

Post by Fiero85 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:05 am

yossarian71 wrote:
Fiero85 wrote:
liammial wrote: Also, a one point increase is not always one question. Could be two. And guessing on 5 option multiple choice exam is worse than 50/50 chances. More importantly: one or two additional questions correct at the margin will likely be harder questions, at least as you approach 170's. Those top difficulty 10-15 questions could be worthy of their differentiation power.
This makes sense, and I suppose, is correct. But, I understand the argument against it. We all tested all over the place for ever. Then, even when ready to take the test, most of us have a 2-3 point range. So, your logic makes sense. But, assuming everyone operates within a 2-3 or even 4 point range when ready to test, that makes the 1 point much less significance from the scorer's perspective.

All said, like any standardized test, Law Schools should find a way to take a more formative picture of students rather than only a summative picture.

But, that gets away from the OP. Sorry, I don't have any insight on that. Wish I could help, and good luck.
Yeah sorry for hijacking, OP. Good luck!

But addressing this: Game day is game day. Schools not taking your official score for what it is would be unfair to people who actually made it happen under pressure and scored higher (I scored 4-5 points under my PT avg, twice, so don't take this as a cold condescending perspective). Real life is full of one-shot tests where you lack time and information, and will be evaluated almost completely by that one result. Theoretically everyone has the same task at hand, and those who show up for the real thing and dominate, or even just score one or two more points higher within their normal range, deserve credit for it.

ScottRiqui

Gold

Post by ScottRiqui » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:11 am

Bedsole wrote:
yossarian71 wrote:But, assuming everyone operates within a 2-3 or even 4 point range when ready to test, that makes the 1 point much less significance from the scorer's perspective.
The key here is that law schools can't report out what you are CAPABLE of scoring, but what you ACTUALLY scored. That's why people offer the advice "retake" so frequently on here. Often, just a couple of questions can mean the difference between a school worth attending or a place that likely leaves you with a bad outcome.

Like it or not, that's how it is. C'est la vie.
True. Also, it's helpful to stop thinking about the LSAT as having a 61-point range (120 to 180), because that allows you to falsely minimize the effect of missing "just one" point or "just one" question.

The top FIFTY law schools have LSAT medians that fall within a fourteen-point range from 159 to 173. If you're interested in T20 schools, all of their medians fall within a nine-point range. Make no mistake - the LSAT is a game of inches.

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:55 am

yossarian71 wrote:
Fiero85 wrote:

Here's some advice that will serve you well: lawyers have no interest in actually evaluating the merits of people who apply for entry-level jobs. The entire system is a bunch of proxy measures of prestige and intelligence, which are used because they save a lot of time. These work well in broad strokes, but the simplicity of the system breeds arbitrariness at the margins.

The law student version of this is going to a school 10 spots higher in USNWR in a completely different market from the one you want to practice and at a higher costs because you failed to perform due diligence on the legal job market.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

redsoxfan1989

Bronze

Post by redsoxfan1989 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:59 am

timbs4339 wrote: The law student version of this is going to a school 10 spots higher in USNWR in a completely different market from the one you want to practice and at a higher costs because you failed to perform due diligence on the legal job market.
Unless its a t14 school right? For example, if I want Boston BigLaw, I am better off at Michigan sticker than BU/BC sticker. (Even up to a substantial discount, no?)

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:01 pm

redsoxfan1989 wrote:
timbs4339 wrote: The law student version of this is going to a school 10 spots higher in USNWR in a completely different market from the one you want to practice and at a higher costs because you failed to perform due diligence on the legal job market.
Unless its a t14 school right? For example, if I want Boston BigLaw, I am better off at Michigan sticker than BU/BC sticker. (Even up to a substantial discount, no?)
Of course, but Michigan sticker vs BU/BC full ride is a tougher decision. It really comes down to how much you want any biglaw vs how much you want to stay in Boston.

redsoxfan1989

Bronze

Post by redsoxfan1989 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:06 pm

timbs4339 wrote:
redsoxfan1989 wrote:
Of course, but Michigan sticker vs BU/BC full ride is a tougher decision. It really comes down to how much you want any biglaw vs how much you want to stay in Boston.
Chances on getting that kind of $$$ from BU/BC? Any information on whether they throw that type of cash around would be greatly appreciated.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:28 pm

redsoxfan1989 wrote:
timbs4339 wrote:
redsoxfan1989 wrote:
Chances on getting that kind of $$$ from BU/BC? Any information on whether they throw that type of cash around would be greatly appreciated.
Dude.

http://www.mylsn.info

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

redsoxfan1989

Bronze

Post by redsoxfan1989 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:37 pm

BigZuck wrote:
Dude.

Sorry for asking an absurd question. I somewhat doubt the reliability of LSN on this issue given that 1) not everyone updates their scholarship info and 2) there is a low sample size. Hence why I posted. Thanks.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:43 pm

redsoxfan1989 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
Dude.

Sorry for asking an absurd question. I somewhat doubt the reliability of LSN on this issue given that 1) not everyone updates their scholarship info and 2) there is a low sample size. Hence why I posted. Thanks.
It's probably going to be more reliable than random TLS anecdotes.

redsoxfan1989

Bronze

Post by redsoxfan1989 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:45 pm

BigZuck wrote:
redsoxfan1989 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
Dude.

It's probably going to be more reliable than random TLS anecdotes.
Maybe, but I don't follow why its so outrageous to ask on a "What are my chances" forum for additional guidance. Thanks for the duplicative posting though, it is much appreciated!

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:46 pm

redsoxfan1989 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
Dude.

Well, it's good at figuring out whether there are full rides available and what the scholly breakdowns generally are. Assume that you have a pretty good shot at a full ride once you are over 75/75.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”