yo Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Roger Mexico

New

yo

Post by Roger Mexico » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:26 pm

yo
Last edited by Roger Mexico on Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:27 am, edited 3 times in total.

bombaysippin

Gold

Re: 3.5 / 156

Post by bombaysippin » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:37 pm

Before anyone else will say anything, RETAKE would be the best option. Honestly, there are no good schools worth going to with a 156. Good luck.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:39 pm

Attending law school with a 156 would be a mistake

ggocat

Gold

Post by ggocat » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:53 pm

With those numbers you might get a full ride from a third or fourth tier school. If you have to go to law school, that's probably your best option.

Also you should just plug your numbers into one of those prediction websites.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:09 pm

Where are you from OP?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:02 am

ggocat wrote:With those numbers you might get a full ride from a third or fourth tier school. If you have to go to law school, that's probably your best option.

Also you should just plug your numbers into one of those prediction websites.
This could be interesting. What is a scenario wherein one would "have to go to law school?"

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:13 am

Nova wrote:Attending law school with a 156 would be a mistake

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:49 am

Sit down with the powerscore logic games bible for a month, take a few PTs and sign up for the June exam. If games was your weakest, then you can absolutely score much higher with a little practice.

Roger Mexico

New

Post by Roger Mexico » Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:03 am

Nova wrote:Where are you from OP?
I'm from the United States.

Retaking the LSAT is not an option for me right now. I'm basically looking to reach as high as I can with the stats I have. So if anyone has any advice regarding my original question, that would be appreciated. I've heard there are some schools that are more friendly to splitters than others.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

hayman

New

Post by hayman » Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:34 am

I don't know that you would be considered a splitter. But a lot of the top 100 schools will take you, and I'm sure a few will offer scholarships. Target schools near where you want to practice.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:36 am

Don't go to law school. It will probably ruin your life.

Or retake

hayman

New

Post by hayman » Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:40 am

Check out state schools like MU, that offer instate tuition less than 15k. You can minimize debt that way.

Roger Mexico

New

Post by Roger Mexico » Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:00 am

hayman wrote:Check out state schools like MU, that offer instate tuition less than 15k. You can minimize debt that way.
MU means Mississipi or Montana I'm guessing? If I was instate at any of those I'd apply for sure.
BigZuck wrote:Don't go to law school. It will probably ruin your life.

Or retake
I'm not sure I'm going to law school. I want to see where I get in and how much money I might get from each, which is why I made this topic to find out where I should apply to.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

hayman

New

Post by hayman » Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:11 am

Missouri. But this was only an example. You have to look at the market you want to enter rather than just limit yourself to the state you re from. Many schools allow instate if you live there for a year.

TheWeeIceMon

Silver

Post by TheWeeIceMon » Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:13 am

Roger Mexico wrote:
Nova wrote:Where are you from OP?
I'm from the United States.
Retaking the LSAT is not an option for me right now. I'm basically looking to reach as high as I can with the stats I have. So if anyone has any advice regarding my original question, that would be appreciated. I've heard there are some schools that are more friendly to splitters than others.
Well that narrows it down.

Going to the "best" law school you can get into with those numbers is probably not worth it. Do you even know where you want to practice? Going to some random cheap state school with no ties can't be that good of an idea.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:42 am

Roger Mexico wrote:
hayman wrote:Check out state schools like MU, that offer instate tuition less than 15k. You can minimize debt that way.
MU means Mississipi or Montana I'm guessing? If I was instate at any of those I'd apply for sure.

Or retake
I'm not sure I'm going to law school. I want to see where I get in and how much money I might get from each, which is why I made this topic to find out where I should apply to.
mylsn.info will tell you your chances better than anyone here. You also don't want to share anything with us that can help so just fiddle with that.

Whatever the best school you get in to will be, it won't make any sense at the price it will cost you. Don't go to law school. Don't even bother applying, it would be a waste of money.

Roger Mexico

New

Post by Roger Mexico » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:21 am

I'd prefer Seattle, San Francisco Bay area, or LA, if that helps. I've been around the West Coast a lot and I just like being near the Pacific. But I'd go somewhere else if I thought it was a great opportunity, like a top 30(?) or something.
BigZuck wrote: Don't go to law school. Don't even bother applying, it would be a waste of money.
:lol:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:29 am

Roger Mexico wrote:I'd prefer Seattle, San Francisco Bay area, or LA, if that helps. I've been around the West Coast a lot and I just like being near the Pacific. But I'd go somewhere else if I thought it was a great opportunity, like a top 30(?) or something.
Do you have ties to any of those areas? Outside of NYC and DC, legal hiring ranges from somewhat to extremely parochial.

You can't just expect to go some random non-T14 law school in a place to which you have no prior connections and necessarily be able to get a job there. Employers aren't going to waste time with people they think could possibly be flight risks; given that half of law school graduates will not get jobs as lawyers, employers will have plenty of local grads to choose from over outsiders like you. And you can't expect to take a JD from such a law school and get a job in some place not near the law school. "Top 30" means nothing. Alabama may be ranked 21st (meaningless), but someone who wants a job in Philly, for example, would be far better off going to much lower-ranked Philly schools like Temple or Villanova. An Alabama JD is good for working in Alabama. That is, if you're from Alabama.

Anyway, you don't seem much open to learning from people who actually know something about legal hiring on micro and macro levels, so good luck with whatever you decide. Check out http://mylsn.info/ if you want to know your chances and http://www.lstscorereports.com/ if you want to make a more intelligent decision about attending law school.

objection_your_honor

Silver

Post by objection_your_honor » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:50 am

Roger Mexico wrote: Obviously my LSAT is by far my weakest link. I think I know what happened with it. I absolutely bombed the logic games section and did very well on everything else.
"Very well" is pushing it. A 156 means you got roughly half the questions on the test wrong. Study for a retake, and definitely focus on the games if that's your weakest section, but don't neglect the other sections.

HYSenberg

Bronze

Post by HYSenberg » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:06 pm

What is PU an acronym for...?

Roger Mexico

New

Post by Roger Mexico » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:54 pm

Ti Malice wrote:Do you have ties to any of those areas?
Yeah, definitely. Though I'm curious what you would consider ties - like, do I have friends who are lawyers in the area, or was I born and raised there, went to undergrad there, etc.

So basically, going to a local school will be better than going to a higher-ranked, yet non-T14 school, that is outside of the area one wishes to practice in. Is that the general consensus around here?
HYSenberg wrote:What is PU an acronym for...?
Oops - PS.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:56 pm

Or retake
This. And
BigZuck wrote: Don't go to law school. Don't even bother applying, it would be a waste of money.
This.

Or, retake.

Also, stop being insufferable. People are trying to help but you won't give them any information to actually help you. Either give them the information they need and be receptive to good advice or just do whatever the hell you want to do and stop wasting precious E-space.

To recap:

http://www.mylsn.info tells you your chances
Don't go to law school unless it's a school that places well into a market that you have ties to AND is at a reasonable price
Any school that would accept your current numbers is almost certainly not worth attending
Retake

lonerider

New

Post by lonerider » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:39 am

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”