174, 2.9X GPA Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
xoxoGossipGirl

New

174, 2.9X GPA

Post by xoxoGossipGirl » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:30 pm

I went to a private LAC and graduated this past Spring. I took the LSAT this Oct and got a 174. I was certain on on applying this cycle, but, I am debating on whether to wait a cycle for personal reasons and also due to the fact that I am a splitter. Would waiting until next Fall and submitting applications early give me a boost? Are applications expected to decline again next year?

Would my chances at T-14 schools be better if I applied with a solid application in September rather than mid January? I am OK with doing ED.

RonMexico1

New

Re: 174, 2.9X GPA

Post by RonMexico1 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:51 am

Don't think it would really matter. You're probably limited to Georgetown and NU, regardless of when you submit. If I were you I would apply to Georgetown ASAP--even in January. I think you have a solid chance. If you took a year or two off for WE, you'd have a good shot at Northwestern as well. I think your move here is to apply to Georgetown.

midwest17

Gold

Post by midwest17 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:59 am

RonMexico1 wrote:Don't think it would really matter. You're probably limited to Georgetown and NU, regardless of when you submit. If I were you I would apply to Georgetown ASAP--even in January. I think you have a solid chance. If you took a year or two off for WE, you'd have a good shot at Northwestern as well. I think your move here is to apply to Georgetown.
Why rush and apply to Georgetown late in the cycle? If the OP is already leaning towards waiting a year for personal reasons, s/he should do so. It will only help admissions chances, even if it doesn't do so much. And if you apply this year but decide not to go, you'll have to revamp things for next year's application anyways.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:17 am

Apply to nu, don't go to gulc.

xoxoGossipGirl

New

Post by xoxoGossipGirl » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:22 am

What about UVA? I think I would prefer UVa over NU and Gtown. If I apply early and ED in the next cycle, how would my chances be? Is it worth retaking the 174? I think I may be able to bump it up 2 points.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:03 am

Uva should work out ED, although sub 3 isn't a lock with any lsat there. Just start applying, it's not too late to ed uva for this cycle, just don't go to gulc unless uva and nu ding you, and don't retake, not much going to come from that.

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:30 am

Clearly wrote:Apply to nu, don't go to gulc.

smallbrownbear

New

Post by smallbrownbear » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:15 pm

I've been following these 'what are my chances' threads for over a year now, and it definitely seems like people are less optimistic this year than they were last year.

Last year, late spring/early summer, there were a number of people with high 2.x gpa's (like 2.7-2.99 range) and in the lowish 170's (171-174). While it's true that nobody said "you're a lock at X school" or even "you have decent chance at X school", it seemed that the prevailing opinion wasn't quite as... pessimistic as saying "you are limited to NU/Gulc".

Now, I'm not questioning that advice, because a lot of people know more than I do. I am simply noting that, about 4-8 months ago, several people posted with around these numbers and MOST of the time, the advice was "apply broadly to the lower t-14" and more than once the advice was "you don't have a great shot, but it might be worth EDing NYU for the 2013 cycle"

I include this for two reasons: One, the OP might like to know that, at least a few months ago, there was some talk about these numbers having a shot at NYU ED. I'm sure I'm going to get at least some blowback about saying this, but I don't think this was a fluke. Having similar numbers myself, I paid close attention to what are my chances threads with these suer splitter numbers. There weren't many people in this range, but EDing NYU was mentioned... maybe 3 times? Give or take one?
i.e. it was more than just one idiot spouting off his mouth one time on one thread. Actually, I remember thinking it was especially odd as at least once it was a pretty well-respected superposter.

The second reason is just out of a general wondering about why people might be less optimistic about the value of splitters for this cycle.

For what it's worth, as I said, I have similar numbers and I did not ED NYU. Take from this information what you will, OP, but now you have some idea of one person's opinion of the general climate as of a few months ago?

One last note: I just want to be clear that NOBODY was saying "ED NYU, you have a good shot!". It was more of, you may as well, and you have a non-zero chance. I'm not trying to tell you your odds are better than they are. You're likely locked out of most of the t-14. I don't think that the responses you have a wrong, they're probably dead on, I just wanted you to have more info.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:20 pm

I think I'm the superpoaster referenced above. I'm not a big fan of ED anywhere, but for someone with these numbers and a real attachment to the New York area (and New York BigLaw) plus a family situation that makes sticker a bit more palatable, ED NYU is a worthwhile longshot. I know of a 2.9/179 who pull it off 2 years ago.

Given the continued decline in applicants and the fact that OP seems comfortable waiting and hasn't even applied yet, I think waiting makes sense here. We'll know more next year than we do now about whether these numbers have a shot at schools they couldn't land in the past, and if anything next cycle should be even easier.

mindarmed

Silver

Post by mindarmed » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:42 am

RonMexico1 wrote:Don't think it would really matter. You're probably limited to Georgetown and NU, regardless of when you submit. If I were you I would apply to Georgetown ASAP--even in January. I think you have a solid chance. If you took a year or two off for WE, you'd have a good shot at Northwestern as well. I think your move here is to apply to Georgetown.
I'm sorry but this is just poor advice. OP PM me to discuss, we are very similar in numbers.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”