172 LSAT/3.72 GPA Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
bruinfan10

Silver

172 LSAT/3.72 GPA

Post by bruinfan10 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:20 am

Hey all. My friend has a 172/3.72, and I've been out of the game for a while so I don't have an accurate picture of his prospects. Any idea if he's got any kind of even an outside shot at Harvard/any money at CCN/decent scholly at lower-T14? Top-3 ranked state university, average softs.

Edit: I should clarify, my understanding is that apps have been so dramatically down the last few years that lower numbers go a lot further these days (all my firsthand knowledge of admit chances comes from the cycle where apps reached an all-time high); I figured current 0Ls would have more info than I do on the last few graveyard app cycles. The score aggregation sites have pretty limited datasets for that time period, so anecdotes are fine with me.
Last edited by bruinfan10 on Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:44 pm, edited 4 times in total.

BigZuck

Diamond

Re: 172/3.71

Post by BigZuck » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:52 am

bruinfan10 wrote:Hey all. My brother has a 172/3.71, and I've been out of the game for a while so I don't have an accurate picture of his prospects. Any idea if he's got any kind of even an outside shot at Harvard/any money at CCN/decent scholly at lower-T14? Top-3 ranked state university, average softs.
U serious bro?

mylsn.info

What's a "top 3 ranked state university?"

bruinfan10

Silver

Re: 172/3.71

Post by bruinfan10 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:17 pm

Thanks for the info! I hadn't heard of that site. Back when I applied, I just blanketed the T-14 and leveraged schollys shamelessly - I didn't do this whole number crunching thing. Also (and I added this as an edit to my initial post), my understanding is that apps have been so dramatically down the last few years that lower numbers go a lot further these days (for example, all my firsthand knowledge of acceptance chances comes from the cycle where apps reached an all-time high); I figured current 0Ls would have more info than I do on the last few graveyard app cycles.

And in answer to your question, I don't want to give his exact school, but it's generally regarded to be one of the three best state universities. http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandrevie ... top-public

jbagelboy

Diamond

Re: 172 LSAT/3.72 GPA

Post by jbagelboy » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:09 pm

Those were basically my numbers last yr and I got $45K at UChi, $50K at NYU and CLS which i bargained up to 60.

This cycle will probably be even more lucrative

bruinfan10

Silver

Post by bruinfan10 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:12 pm

jbagelboy wrote:Those were basically my numbers last yr and I got $45K at UChi, $50K at NYU and CLS which i bargained up to 60.

Dude! That's fantastic news! Congratulations to you and thanks for sharing; I'd be over the moon if he ended up with that kind of outcome.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:18 pm

bruinfan10 wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:Those were basically my numbers last yr and I got $45K at UChi, $50K at NYU and CLS which i bargained up to 60.

Dude! That's fantastic news! Congratulations to you and thanks for sharing; I'd be over the moon if he ended up with that kind of outcome.
No problem! best of luck to him.

He should apply to Penn as well. While I wouldn't have wanted to live in Philly, I regret not applying to Penn because if you get over YP, they can be even more generous than CCN. If he is mostly interested in biglaw, Penn for a larger scholarship than CCN is just as good if not better ROI.

bruinfan10

Silver

Post by bruinfan10 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:23 pm

I think that's solid advice; the number one thing I told him when he was starting his cycle was not to underestimate Penn. I was an idiot in my cycle and didn't prioritize that app, and I regret it - seems like a great school.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:57 pm

Oh, so he went to Berkeley?

Yeah, probably out at HYS, pretty solid shot everywhere else. He will get a lot of money at a place like Duke or NU most likely so that's where he should go if he doesn't strike it rich at some of the schools Bagel Boy is talking about

bruinfan10

Silver

Post by bruinfan10 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:04 pm

BigZuck wrote:Yeah, probably out at HYS
So you're tellin' me there's a chance?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:08 pm

BigZuck wrote:Oh, so he went to Berkeley?

Yeah, probably out at HYS, pretty solid shot everywhere else. He will get a lot of money at a place like Duke or NU most likely so that's where he should go if he doesn't strike it rich at some of the schools Bagel Boy is talking about
Zuck is right in general. a 3.7 GPA was not strong enough this past cycle to get more than $30K/year in the T14, whereas 3.75+ and esp. 3.8 could get in the $120K+ range at NU, Duke, Cornell, ect., which really makes those schools worth it over CCN.

For me, CLS and new york was worth the $30K more in tuition than northwestern/duke. If it had been a bigger difference, like $60+, I would have reconsidered.

Vincent

Bronze

Post by Vincent » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:03 pm

My first guess was UCLA - "bruinfan" to me implies a UCLA undergrad, and UCLA has a claim to being a "top-3 public" (behind Berkeley, with UVA).

FWIW, your friend appears to be at that borderline where external softs may start to come into play (vs. other candidates at the 3.7/172 range) for CCN + $$$. Be aware that if Columbia comes into play, their $ offer may not come until well after acceptance.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:13 pm

Vincent wrote:

My first guess was UCLA - "bruinfan" to me implies a UCLA undergrad, and UCLA has a claim to being a "top-3 public" (behind Berkeley, with UVA).

FWIW, your friend appears to be at that borderline where external softs may start to come into play (vs. other candidates at the 3.7/172 range) for CCN + $$$. Be aware that if Columbia comes into play, their $ offer may not come until well after acceptance.
lol that's the coastal snobbery I like to see :) Michigan, Cal, and UVA are the typical public triumvirate though.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”