3.43/169 - Chance at NYU ED? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
CBent88

New

3.43/169 - Chance at NYU ED?

Post by CBent88 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:41 am

-3.43/169.
-Good softs: 4.5 years WE (2 of which at top Boston law firm), undergrad clubs, volunteer, great LOR from firm partners who know me well (one of which went to NYU)
-Will be applying to JD/MBA during 1L (we won't get into that here... but will mention that in my PS)

LawSchool Predictor has me at 16% for NYU. MyLSN has me at 0% (0 for 7). No bump in either when adjusting for ED.

Do you guys think that is accurate? Can I get a bump at NYU with ED (at the cost of no scholarship)? Or should I apply RD and hope for the best?

Rest of my list is: Penn, UVA, NW, Cornell, BU

Thanks for any advice you may be able to provide.

CBent88

New

Re: 3.43/169 - Chance at NYU ED?

Post by CBent88 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:28 am

Should I take silence as an affirmative that there is nothing to add to the numbers above?

cotiger

Gold

Post by cotiger » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:54 pm

You're below both medians of NYU. It is highly unlikely that you will be accepted, no matter ED or RD. You would need extraordinary softs, which yours are not.

If you retake the LSAT and get even 1 or 2 points higher (within the same score band), you have a decent shot at NYU. Your graph goes from this:

To this:

CBent88

New

Post by CBent88 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:00 pm

Thanks for the reply. Won't be retaking. Q4 is too busy to dedicate much time to studying. I'm happy with T14, though, which it looks like I should be able to get.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:12 pm

CBent88 wrote:Thanks for the reply. Won't be retaking. Q4 is too busy to dedicate much time to studying. I'm happy with T14, though, which it looks like I should be able to get.
yes, you will have a good chance for at least a couple lower T14 with 169 becoming the new target median at most schools, but probably at sticker or near sticker.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:57 pm

CBent88 wrote:Thanks for the reply. Won't be retaking. Q4 is too busy to dedicate much time to studying. I'm happy with T14, though, which it looks like I should be able to get.
You can still retake in February or June to get better scholarship offers or move off of waitlists. A debt-financed JD/MBA will put you well over 300k in the hole even if you do a 3 year program, so every little bit helps. As it stands you'll probably come up a little short at NYU although with applications declining so rapidly and NYU apparently unwilling to shrink their massive class you never know.

CBent88

New

Post by CBent88 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:42 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
You can still retake in February or June to get better scholarship offers or move off of waitlists. A debt-financed JD/MBA will put you well over 300k in the hole even if you do a 3 year program, so every little bit helps. As it stands you'll probably come up a little short at NYU although with applications declining so rapidly and NYU apparently unwilling to shrink their massive class you never know.
Good point. I will be paying my own way and I understand the burden of debt. I have been paying off undergrad loans for past few years. But, February-June will be GMAT time. I'm certainly not going to take that during 1L.

Scholarships will obviously be part of my decision, but I am not going to sacrifice a T14 education because I am afraid of debt. With jobs declining as they are, T14 grads may be the only ones that make it to corporate firms.

Separately, if this question is in the wrong thread, then please just ignore it... do fee waiver offers from T14 (i.e. UVA/Duke) this early in the application process mean that admission to such schools will be a "lock" for someone with my numbers? Just doesn't make sense for them to offer a fee waiver if they plan to turn my application down. Also, is Duke's "Priority Track" application process legitimate? 10 days is a quick turnaround for non-binding decisions.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:46 pm

CBent88 wrote:do fee waiver offers from T14 (i.e. UVA/Duke) this early in the application process mean that admission to such schools will be a "lock" for someone with my numbers? Just doesn't make sense for them to offer a fee waiver if they plan to turn my application down. Also, is Duke's "Priority Track" application process legitimate? 10 days is a quick turnaround for non-binding decisions.
Fee waiver offers don't mean anything. Acceptance rate makes up a (very small) portion of the US News Rankings, which mean everything to adcomms, so they want as many people as possible to apply. Duke's priority track app is legitimate and is pretty cool. Historically people offered it this early get accepted at very high rates, so there maybe something to that.

cotiger

Gold

Post by cotiger » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:17 pm

If you're planning on getting your MBA as well, that's another reason you might want to consider retaking in February. I know very little about business schools, but I have heard that the "M7" is like the b-school version of T14. In that case, if you get one more point you're in at Northwestern, which has an M7 b-school vs right now you're more looking at Michigan (#14) or Cornell (#16).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”