3.94 GPA from Berkeley, mid-150s LSAT. Chance at Hastings? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
nacal

New

3.94 GPA from Berkeley, mid-150s LSAT. Chance at Hastings?

Post by nacal » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:07 pm

Cumilative GPA - 3.94 from Berkeley
October LSAT - probably mid-150s (like my practice test averages)
Probably retaking in December but hesitant because won't be applying very early in that case
Any chances of getting in to UC Hastings or Loyola in LA with some scholarship money? :/
Thanks!

Golden Bear 11

Bronze

Re: 3.94 GPA from Berkeley, mid-150s LSAT. Chance at Hastings?

Post by Golden Bear 11 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:12 pm

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not waste that GPA. RETAKE

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:13 pm

Golden Bear 11 wrote:PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not waste that GPA. RETAKE

Golden Bear 11

Bronze

Post by Golden Bear 11 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:15 pm

From one Golden Bear to another, 100% retake the LSAT

nacal

New

Post by nacal » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:17 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:
Golden Bear 11 wrote:PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not waste that GPA. RETAKE
Lol that's how I feel! AND, I'm not in a rush, so would you advise I take it ghis December or wait to apply early next year? I know a lot of law schools put a lot of emphasis on applying early. I really, really don't want to waste my GPA. And it's not like I got it because of an easy major.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nacal

New

Post by nacal » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:18 pm

Golden Bear 11 wrote:From one Golden Bear to another, 100% retake the LSAT
Go Bears!

Thank you so much! Now I'm starting to lean more towards retaking in December.

t-14orbust

Gold

Post by t-14orbust » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:18 pm

GOD DAMN PLZZZZZ RETAKE

edit: I refuse to believe that you prepped hard/properly enough to have a 3.94 from berk and a 150s score.

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:21 pm

nacal wrote:
Go Bears!

Keep leaning. It's the only rational option.

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:22 pm

nacal wrote:
FTFY

Here: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 6&t=214336

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nacal

New

Post by nacal » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:37 pm

t-14orbust wrote:GOD DAMN PLZZZZZ RETAKE

edit: I refuse to believe that you prepped hard/properly enough to have a 3.94 from berk and a 150s score.
Thank you. I am rationally decidig to retake in December and prep better.

nacal

New

Post by nacal » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:37 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:
nacal wrote:
FTFY

Here: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 6&t=214336
Very useful! Thanks so much!

nacal

New

Post by nacal » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:38 pm

ImNoScar wrote:
nacal wrote:
Go Bears!

Keep leaning. It's the only rational option.
:oops: :wink:

t-14orbust

Gold

Post by t-14orbust » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:39 pm

nacal wrote:

Alright, so it's decided then. Hell, if you don't hit at least 165 by December you better wait a damn cycle. What's one year of extra prep compared to a lifetime of debt slavery? Honestly I think you should prep until 170+; don't waste that pretty GPA.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

nacal

New

Post by nacal » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:43 pm

t-14orbust wrote:
nacal wrote:

Alright, so it's decided then. Hell, if you don't hit at least 165 by December you better wait a damn cycle. What's one year of extra prep compared to a lifetime of debt slavery? Honestly I think you should prep until 170+; don't waste that pretty GPA.
I like you :) hehe I completely agree with you. Thanks! So glad I posted in here. Thank you TLS!

t-14orbust

Gold

Post by t-14orbust » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:45 pm

nacal wrote:
t-14orbust wrote:
nacal wrote:

I like you :) hehe I completely agree with you. Thanks! So glad I posted in here. Thank you TLS!
There is a TON of prep guidance here on TLS. Check noodleyone and pithypike's guides. How much prep material do you have, test-wise?

nacal

New

Post by nacal » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:51 pm

Alright, so it's decided then. Hell, if you don't hit at least 165 by December you better wait a damn cycle. What's one year of extra prep compared to a lifetime of debt slavery? Honestly I think you should prep until 170+; don't waste that pretty GPA.[/quote]

I like you :) hehe I completely agree with you. Thanks! So glad I posted in here. Thank you TLS![/quote]

I'll definitely check those out. I took Blueprint, so I have their books and extra materials as well as the LG book. I also have the LSAC test books. I also have the PowerScore LR and RC book.

We didn't start practicing under timed constrains until only a few weeks before the test and I felt that that was my biggest challenge on the actual test. The test looked pretty standard and the LG section seemed very easy, but I only had time to attempt 3 games. So I plan to focus on timing a lot now!

There is a TON of prep guidance here on TLS. Check noodleyone and pithypike's guides. How much prep material do you have, test-wise?[/quote]

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:56 pm

If you hit 165+, that'll open up a world of possibilities. This one girl got into UVA with a similar GPA (I think hers was slightly lower too) and I believe a 164.

Forget about Yu See HasTTTTings. Don't waste that Cal degree and GPA.

Check this thread out. Pay attention to the dates of the posts:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=186738

TLDR: Girl was about to go to TTTs at sticker price. Ended up retaking and got a 10+ higher score on her LSAT. Went from deciding between Loyola and Pepperdine to ending up at CAL. Also, she was offered 30k/yr at Loyola and 46k/yr for Pepperdine. Wow. Just by retaking.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/m ... le&u=99157

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:18 pm

You'd be close to a lock at Harvard with a 171-172.

Take a year if you need to. The difference between a 170s LSAT score and a 150s LSAT score for you is probably worth close to half a million dollars.

nacal

New

Post by nacal » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:19 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:If you hit 165+, that'll open up a world of possibilities. This one girl got into UVA with a similar GPA (I think hers was slightly lower too) and I believe a 164.

Forget about Yu See HasTTTTings. Don't waste that Cal degree and GPA.

Check this thread out. Pay attention to the dates of the posts:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=186738

TLDR: Girl was about to go to TTTs at sticker price. Ended up retaking and got a 10+ higher score on her LSAT. Went from deciding between Loyola and Pepperdine to ending up at CAL. Also, she was offered 30k/yr at Loyola and 46k/yr for Pepperdine. Wow. Just by retaking.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/m ... le&u=99157
:)) this is getting exciting. I'd LOVE to go back to Cal for law school but I hear they, like many others, don't like to accept their own. But I'm sure I'll be hard to resist with a good LSAT score.

Kind of unrelated, would you happen to know if being published is any plus? I have 2 published articles in 2 different undergraduate journals.

Thanks for everything!

nacal

New

Post by nacal » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:22 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:You'd be close to a lock at Harvard with a 171-172.

Take a year if you need to. The difference between a 170s LSAT score and a 150s LSAT score for you is probably worth close to half a million dollars.
Wow thank you. That's great advice. Do you think I should take the December exam just because I am fresh from studying or wait for June if I'm aiming at 170s? I guess my question is whether it would be ok to go for a 3rd shot :/ probably not, since I'm not exactly in a rush, right?

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:31 pm

Do not take the LSAT until you are PTing, on average, at least 3 points higher than where you want to be. So if you're chill with 171, don't take the LSAT until you're regularly PTing at 174-175. If that means waiting, wait.

Also, you're probably not applying this cycle; just saying. December's your last shot to take it, since Feb is just too late. If I were you, I wouldn't be taking it in December -- just study hard for June and take it again then.

Also, if you were PTing around 150, I'd seriously consider canceling your score.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

nacal

New

Post by nacal » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:41 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:Do not take the LSAT until you are PTing, on average, at least 3 points higher than where you want to be. So if you're chill with 171, don't take the LSAT until you're regularly PTing at 174-175. If that means waiting, wait.

Also, you're probably not applying this cycle; just saying. December's your last shot to take it, since Feb is just too late. If I were you, I wouldn't be taking it in December -- just study hard for June and take it again then.

Also, if you were PTing around 150, I'd seriously consider canceling your score.
Hmm, I have until Friday to do that. Thank you for your response. You're definitely helping me put a lot of things in perspective. I know that I can definitely do better than the 150s, so I'll think about cancelling. Thanks!

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:00 pm

nacal wrote:
:)) this is getting exciting. I'd LOVE to go back to Cal for law school but I hear they, like many others, don't like to accept their own. But I'm sure I'll be hard to resist with a good LSAT score.
Yeah, don't worry about that. Applications are falling and even the T-14 is scrambling for those high LSAT scores. They don't accept their own because most people from Cal probably do not score high enough on their LSATs. But it's not just Cal. I believe the average LSAT score for the undergrads at Harvard was 165. Does this mean that they can't get a higher score? Probably not. But many people, like you (and I), did not have all the information when applying. But as rational people, we sought information. We can now use this information to put ourselves in the best possible position.

Bottom line, I don't think there's a bias against you at all just because you went to there for undergrad. Cal's law school wouldn't accept most people from my UG either. Why? Our average is 160. It has nothing to do with where you went to UG. It's all about stats, baby.

I think you could do it. If you were smart enough for a high GPA at Cal, I think you'd be able to get a 165 and go back to Cal for law school.

nacal

New

Post by nacal » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:25 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:
nacal wrote:
Yeah, don't worry about that. Applications are falling and even the T-14 is scrambling for those high LSAT scores. They don't accept their own because most people from Cal probably do not score high enough on their LSATs. But it's not just Cal. I believe the average LSAT score for the undergrads at Harvard was 165. Does this mean that they can't get a higher score? Probably not. But many people, like you (and I), did not have all the information when applying. But as rational people, we sought information. We can now use this information to put ourselves in the best possible position.

Bottom line, I don't think there's a bias against you at all just because you went to there for undergrad. Cal's law school wouldn't accept most people from my UG either. Why? Our average is 160. It has nothing to do with where you went to UG. It's all about stats, baby.

I think you could do it. If you were smart enough for a high GPA at Cal, I think you'd be able to get a 165 and go back to Cal for law school.
This is so encouraging! Thank you! I'm going to work very hard for at least mid-160s. I'll let you guys know when I decide to take the test again, but a retake is a must!

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:49 pm

nacal wrote:
twentypercentmore wrote:Do not take the LSAT until you are PTing, on average, at least 3 points higher than where you want to be. So if you're chill with 171, don't take the LSAT until you're regularly PTing at 174-175. If that means waiting, wait.

Hmm, I have until Friday to do that. Thank you for your response. You're definitely helping me put a lot of things in perspective. I know that I can definitely do better than the 150s, so I'll think about cancelling. Thanks!
Don't think about it. Just do it. There is no benefit to having a crappy score on your record over canceling, and there are negatives.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”