How's about my chance? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Ryandicus

New

How's about my chance?

Post by Ryandicus » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:14 pm

*Insert lame lengthy list of reasons why my UGPA sucked here*

I'm not certain exactly what it actually is, so let's lowball it at a 2.6.

I take the LSAT in Oct., but my practice tests are consistently between 172-177 under test conditions.

I live in Southeast Missouri and would likely attempt to go to SIU and would like to know my chances at this, and possibly larger schools.

Thank you for your time and expertise!

jbagelboy

Diamond

Re: How's about my chance?

Post by jbagelboy » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:26 pm

1) find out what your actual LSAC GPA is. Also, make sure you've maximized that GPA if you havent receives your degree -- take CC courses, easy extra credits, and distance yourself from the person you were with the 2.xx by taking 1-2 yrs off. Don't apply this fall if you can still raise your grades.

2) take the LSAT and come back with a real score. Even a 172 is very ambitious: not to say you cant score it with sufficient practice, but 99th%ile is a lot to assume.

3) why do you want to go to SIU? What type of law do you want to practice? And where? If the answer to the last two questions is anything but small practice or shitlaw in southern illinois/indiana/missouri, dont go to SIU

Ryandicus

New

Post by Ryandicus » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:36 pm

The GPA is what it is. The person that finished college did much better than the one who started...

Test-taking has always been a strong suit and I would honestly expect the same results (and I realize saying that likely comes across as anything but modest, and it's honest).

Both my wife and my families live in Southeast Missouri so I likely won't be going anywhere.

Most lawyers around here don't specialize in any particular type of law.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:42 pm

Ryandicus wrote:The GPA is what it is. The person that finished college did much better than the one who started...

Test-taking has always been a strong suit and I would honestly expect the same results (and I realize saying that likely comes across as anything but modest, and it's honest).

Both my wife and my families live in Southeast Missouri so I likely won't be going anywhere.

WUSTL handed out large scholarships to anyone with a pulse, a bachelors, and an LSAT over their median this cycle.

I think its the clear winner for you. Hit 168+ and you should be in.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:43 pm

Decent chance at Northwestern. Maybe even some money.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:04 am

jbagelboy wrote:
Ryandicus wrote:The GPA is what it is. The person that finished college did much better than the one who started...

WUSTL handed out large scholarships to anyone with a pulse, a bachelors, and an LSAT over their median this cycle.

I think its the clear winner for you. Hit 168+ and you should be in.
Yep. Surely St. Louis is not too far away for you, is it? A good number of people with abysmal GPAs (2.54-2.8) and 170+ LSATs got $145K scholarships at WUSTL this year. You'd have to be out of your mind to pass up a $100K+ scholarship at WUSTL for SIU at any price.
Last edited by Ti Malice on Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:35 am

Again, no real LSAT so who knows man, but if you can clear median $$$ at WUSTL would be your best option I'm sure. For your goals and location NU at sticker MIGHT happen with 172+ but its not worth the cost unless biglaw or bust.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:23 am

Speaking as a fellow old who PTed in the 170s and been an historically good test-taker: your LSAT score is real when it's real. Do your best but don't assume anything.

Agreed on coping DAT WUSTL big scholly if you score high enough. Retake or don't go if you don't.

Ryandicus

New

Post by Ryandicus » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:53 am

Overall, this board is super supportive of the go big or go home idea which is cool. My circumstances are what push me towards SIU-C. I own my home within daily driving distance to SIU, so if I have to drive 5 days a week anything else would require a move with my wife and three kids.

If the intent is to live in rural Nowhere, MO, is there a difference in earning potential from the last school on the list v T14?

I have quite a bit more lurking to do on this board to familiarize myself with some of the terminology I've been seeing...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NYstate

Gold

Post by NYstate » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:09 am

Ryandicus wrote:Overall, this board is super supportive of the go big or go home idea which is cool. My circumstances are what push me towards SIU-C. I own my home within daily driving distance to SIU, so if I have to drive 5 days a week anything else would require a move with my wife and three kids.

If the intent is to live in rural Nowhere, MO, is there a difference in earning potential from the last school on the list v T14?

I have quite a bit more lurking to do on this board to familiarize myself with some of the terminology I've been seeing...
Are there any jobs in rural Mo? Not being mean. The job market is brutal. You may well have to be exceptional or be high in your class to get a job. Grads from top schools are looking for and taking jobs in rural areas so you can't assume you won't have competition.

My understanding is that the full scholarships from WUSTL were a one time deal that may not be repeated.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:08 am

Ryandicus wrote:Overall, this board is super supportive of the go big or go home idea which is cool. My circumstances are what push me towards SIU-C. I own my home within daily driving distance to SIU, so if I have to drive 5 days a week anything else would require a move with my wife and three kids.

WashU isnt a T14 school anyway, its a strong regional we are pushing for your specific benefit. I wouldnt go any lower in the region if I wanted to practice law

Ryandicus

New

Post by Ryandicus » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:19 am

I understand that. Someone else mentioned Northwestern.

Most attorneys I see around here all went to SIU.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:51 am

Ryandicus wrote:I understand that. Someone else mentioned Northwestern.

Most attorneys I see around here all went to SIU.
How old are they/how long ago did they graduate from law school?

I agree with jbagelboy. It sounds like elitism to some people but really it's just that the job market is too brutal and there is too much of a risk of wasting 3 years of your life on a school that will leave you with nothing to show for it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Ryandicus

New

Post by Ryandicus » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:33 pm

Most are 40-60, and they all would have went to school more than 10-15 years ago.

My main concern is taking out much bigger loans to go to a bigger school, then still only getting a lower paying job in SEMO...

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:55 pm

Ryandicus wrote:Most are 40-60, and they all would have went to school more than 10-15 years ago.

My main concern is taking out much bigger loans to go to a bigger school, then still only getting a lower paying job in SEMO...
That's the problem. You're only thinking of the SIU you know who are employed, and they all got their first jobs in a totally different economy.

Go to a better school or don't go, IMO

NYstate

Gold

Post by NYstate » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:47 pm

You are assuming that a better school will be more expensive. You have to get an LSAT score and apply. You might get better scholarships than you think you will.

Ryandicus

New

Post by Ryandicus » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:05 pm

A better score would be much more expensive. SIU gives full scholly's over a 161...
Cost of living elsewhere would be much more expensive if possible at all (custody issues).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Ryandicus

New

Post by Ryandicus » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:05 pm

School* not score...

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:53 pm

Given you have already 1) educated yourself as to the admission requirements and expectations of SIU, including scholarship consideration, and 2) decided against the opinion of TLS that no other law school is worth attending in your position (and disputed our advice to the contrary), I suppose I must ask, what is the purpose of this post?

Ryandicus

New

Post by Ryandicus » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:17 pm

Well that wasn't the message I was intending to convey. I would be worried to go to a bigger school if I was not going to make more money to pay off the larger assumed debt. Nobody has said that I would make any more money... I'm not close-minded. I never really considered larger schools based off my GPA...

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:23 pm

Ryandicus wrote:Well that wasn't the message I was intending to convey. I would be worried to go to a bigger school if I was not going to make more money to pay off the larger assumed debt. Nobody has said that I would make any more money... I'm not close-minded. I never really considered larger schools based off my GPA...
It's not about making more money, it's about increasing the chances of getting a job at all.. Google law school transparency and look up these schools.

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:02 pm

NYstate wrote:My understanding is that the full scholarships from WUSTL were a one time deal that may not be repeated.
I think that's a safe bet. That kind of spending is definitely not sustainable.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”