3.77, 175- Question about community colleges Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
AltruisticLlama

New

3.77, 175- Question about community colleges

Post by AltruisticLlama » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:32 pm

Hello all,

I would appreciate some comments on law school possibilities based on my current numbers. I should leave my graduating institution (an okay national university) in December with a 3.7 degree GPA and an LSAC GPA of 3.77. I took the June LSAT and made a 175. Would it help or hurt my chances for a top law school to take some GPA boosting courses at a local two-year college while I am finishing my primary degree? This would give me an LSAC GPA of 3.81. How do the admissions committees view community college classes taken so close to graduation? I have decent softs and what I can assume are good letters of recommendations. What schools should I bother applying to? Thank you for your time.

radar714

Bronze

Re: 3.77, 175- Question about community colleges

Post by radar714 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:26 pm

yo dude, if you can take more classes to raise your GPA...do it. FWIW I spent 3 semesters at a community college before I transferred to my degree-granting UG and it didn't seem to have any noticeable effect on my cycle, although what you're trying to do is a little different. I'm sure they'll realize you're trying to game them, but I really don't think it will work against you much or even at all. You have a really good GPA and LSAT. At this point, you might as well try and boost it to a 3.8+ to maximize your chances. If you're really worried about how it will look, maybe don't take classes that completely give away your goal (i.e. avoid underwater basketweaving). At the end of the day, the majority of the admissions decision comes down to 6 digits: X.XX/XXX. I've heard of TLSers who have actually avoided graduating on purpose to spend an additional year at a CC to boost GPA, but that could just be hearsay. either way, I say do it if you're 100% sure you can get A's and boost the GPA.

Void

Silver

Post by Void » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:46 pm

They will give zero fucks. Your GPA and LSAT are 99.9% of the application. The remaining .1% is just a quick determination that you're not a convicted felon.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:46 pm

Void wrote:They will give zero fucks. Your GPA and LSAT are 99.9% of the application. The remaining .1% is just a quick determination that you're not a convicted felon.
Im going to venture that if OPs only target schools are Harvard and Columbia w/$$, this advice (interview aside) is largely credited. These are schools where numbers are far more definitive.

However I disagree for Stanford and Yale. With sub 3.8, those schools are longshots anyway, but they can also select students who didnt engage in conspicuous GPA padding and who have the same or better numbers. They will look for other elements of your application like WE, PS, LoRs, and academic rigor, and yes, taking a few dumb CC classes could be a bad call if it will suck up your resume. Unless you plan on serious work post-grad and applying to law school after, Id say fuck the CC padding for YS. Others may differ because the 3.8x helps.. Realistically though, you're below median either way, so if they're taking you, its for your LSAT and another quality or unique selection of factors in your app

arklaw13

Gold

Post by arklaw13 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:12 pm

I'd say it can't hurt. With the way LSAT medians are falling, you could get great $$ at CCN down. With a 3.8 you'll be in at H barring any weird stuff. Who the hell knows about YS. The chances of anyone getting in there are low no matter what your numbers are, so don't hang your hat on being admitted to either. Might as well pad your gpa for the other schools.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”