Regular or Early? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!

Should I apply to Penn early or regular decision?

Early
14%
Regular
86%

Total votes: 7

New

Regular or Early?

Post by 1948 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:19 pm

Last edited by 1948 on Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ti Malice

Gold

Re: Regular or Early?

Post by Ti Malice » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:54 pm

1948 wrote:So, do you think early decision or regular is the right move?
The right move would be taking yourself and your Yale-worthy GPA back to the test center in October to get a higher LSAT score.

That said, the data shows that you would very likely be in at Penn via RD (see below). You'll probably pick up a moderate amount of money at a couple of places. If you apply with these numbers, god forbid, then apply to the entire T14 (minus Y and H, possibly) so that you maximize your chances of scholarship offers, which you can use as bargaining chips with your favorite schools.

But please retake. The thought of someone with a 3.9 winding up with $230-290K of debt at repayment from Penn makes me ill. Did you know that the majority of Levy recipients at Penn cluster in the 171-173 range? (Apparently Penn can't stop yield protecting even when offering a full ride.) Think about that. Busting your ass for the next two months could result in a reduction of close to $200K of debt at repayment. If the Levy didn't happen, you would still very likely be looking at huge money from at least one other non-HYSCCN T14 if you raise your score even three points.

MistakenGenius

Silver

Post removed.

Post by MistakenGenius » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:03 am

Post removed.
Last edited by MistakenGenius on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

New

Post by 1948 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:07 am

Last edited by 1948 on Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MistakenGenius

Silver

Post removed.

Post by MistakenGenius » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:19 am

Post removed.
Last edited by MistakenGenius on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Stache

New

Post by Stache » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:49 am

You'd probably get in to Penn with ED. You might get a bit of money at lower T14.

Why don't you want to retake? The timing is actually quite nice for you. Hit the books now, study til October, polish your apps a bit, and submit the day that score comes back. The potential benefit of a 169 versus a 168 is much greater than the benefit of applying on September 1 versus November 1. As long as you're in before Thanksgiving, you're plenty early. Plus, even if your score goes down, you could do the ED Round 2 at Penn, where you don't have to submit until January.

(Unless you've already taken three times...) You have no reason not to retake, you're being lazy, and you're selling yourself short.

thenewguy

New

Post by thenewguy » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:07 am

I'm having the same internal debate with ED/RD with a 170 and 3.55 (up from a 3.54 from my last thread because once my transcripts processed and my one A+ kicked in wahoo). I'm leaning toward the ED side because I am highly interested in Penn more so than other schools for personal reasons (family close by in burbs, brother in center city, parents will help out with food and that kinda stuff, lets just call it "comforts of being close to home") and think the minimal money IF ANY (this was debated) at low T14 probably wouldn't sway me away from Penn. Most of the financial advice you are going to get is coming from a raw econmic perspective on how to maximize utility. This is a very good thing. Having said that, everybody's $$ situation is different so if you can justify to yourself paying sticker than ED and lets stay in touch.

The only thing holding me back from ripping ED is just the fear of eliminating options. I have come to the decision that I would rather Penn at sticker than big $$ at regionals (would love feedback on this given my 170/3.55) just because of my own personal situation. I went to UG far from home and wouldn't mind being close for the next 3 years before I gun for NYC

EDIT: My ultimate suggestion however (left this out somehow) is to retake and try and get some $$. I f'ed up hard freshman year of UG and woulda killed to have that GPA of yours.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:17 pm

Ti Malice wrote: Did you know that the majority of Levy recipients at Penn cluster in the 171-173 range? (Apparently Penn can't stop yield protecting even when offering a full ride.)
Loved this.

OP Penn places heavily into New York so if you don't want to be anywhere on the east coast from Boston down to DC I don't think you should ED there. I might be misunderstanding your preferences though.

Also confused by these statements:
1948 wrote:I would do early in a heartbeat, but I don't want to prevent myself from a chance at any money (however little I would get with my borderline numbers)
1948 wrote:And to clarify, it would not be $200k in debt, I will not have to take out substantial loans
So maybe you won't have to take on the whole thing via loans, but money does seem to matter at least a little bit. Your first statement suggests that even something small like 20-30K matters to you, which makes the whole refusal to retake thing especially bizarre.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”