Post removed. Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
HPbaxxter

New

Re: 3.75, 176-However, Really weird situation

Post by HPbaxxter » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:25 pm

I also had to withdraw for a semester, due to mental health problems in my case, and university policy is to list W's for all classes even though I dropped them in the first week. Should I write an addendum? Or do the W's not even matter?

pupshaw

Silver

Post by pupshaw » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:36 am

HPbaxxter wrote:I also had to withdraw for a semester, due to mental health problems in my case, and university policy is to list W's for all classes even though I dropped them in the first week. Should I write an addendum? Or do the W's not even matter?
I'm normally a strong advocate for the "W's don't matter; don't write an addendum" school of thought, but I think the one exception is the situation you describe. If you drop an entire semester, I think an explanation is certainly warranted.

RoaringMice

Bronze

Post by RoaringMice » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:45 am

MistakenGenius wrote:Thank you all of you for replying so fast. This is a wonderful community on here. My LSGPA is the one that is 3.75, my GPA from my school is a 3.72. abl, thank you so much for the offer. I might just do that. You guys don't think my W's are going to hold me back at all? A counselor at my school insinuated that no school in the top 25 would let me in.
Oh. My. God. Your counsellor is an idiot. Two semesters of Ws because you had CANCER are not something that will hold you back for any grad school ever, especially since your grades since then have been very good. You're fine.

akg144

Bronze

Post by akg144 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:42 pm

Your going to have your choice between a full ride of a Top 6 school and sticker @HYS. Enjoy

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:01 am

akg144 wrote:Your going to have your choice between a full ride of a Top 6 school and sticker @HYS. Enjoy
Things are not quite that cut and dried. No set of numbers ever guarantees a full ride at CCN, and if his family is still struggling financially, he could get generous need aid from YHS.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MistakenGenius

Silver

Post removed.

Post by MistakenGenius » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:14 am

Post removed.
Last edited by MistakenGenius on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:55 am

MistakenGenius wrote:Thanks so much everyone! This has been a nice experience on this board. I came in thinking that I had no shot at any school in the top 25, now you guys are arguing over how much of a shot I have at Yale and Stanford. It really makes my day that my withdrawals won't hurt me like my adviser said.
I'm really so happy for you...but my blood boils when I think of how many idiot pre-law advisors out there are completely fucking students over with their garbage advice. Please take this nitwit a packet with copies of all of your T14 acceptances at the end of this coming cycle and a copy of your transcript with all of your Ws circled, underlined, starred, and highlighted. Then tell him/her to read just a single good book on applying to law school (like Anna Ivey's book) so he/she can stop utterly screwing over all of the students that trust their university to hire a competent pre-law advisor.

tractal

New

Post by tractal » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:42 am

MistakenGenius wrote:Thanks so much everyone! This has been a nice experience on this board. I came in thinking that I had no shot at any school in the top 25, now you guys are arguing over how much of a shot I have at Yale and Stanford. It really makes my day that my withdrawals won't hurt me like my adviser said. Yes, I feel like I will most likely be eligible for need aid if there is any, I'm still not in the best financial shape and am largely putting myself through school. Such is the life of a first in the family college graduate whose dad is a construction worker. lol. HPBaxter, it is my understanding that if you ever this kind of W's you need to have an addendum for it.
Man this is going to be awesome. You write a great PS about how your the first in family to college, etc. Then the addcom reads it and goes "what an oustanding application, those W's are weird though" then they read your 5 sentence addendum, eyes widen, and admit you at the speed of light.

lawschoolwoohoo

Bronze

Post by lawschoolwoohoo » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:20 pm

For the love of god, don't apply to Charleston. It's like the worst law school. Just don't do it.

If you're serious about staying in SC, you'll get a full ride at South Carolina and probably if you want to stay South, at Emory. I have much worse numbers than you and got full at South Carolina and over half at Emory. So that's something to think about.

I'm a K-JD and haven't battled cancer or started a charity and am frankly not a particularly unique person and I did pretty well at the Southern schools in terms of applications. But if you want to leave the South, shoot for HYS! (And if you don't, think Vandy or UVA).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

chinadoll

New

Post by chinadoll » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:35 pm

MistakenGenius wrote:severe illness (stomach cancer)
if you explain it thoroughly -- or offer to provide medical records -- it will not hinder you in any way. honestly, with what you said in your first post, I would think law schools would be more impressed with your 3.75/176 despite ^ that.

let us know when you get into harvard

MistakenGenius

Silver

Post removed.

Post by MistakenGenius » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:00 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by MistakenGenius on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

Cicero76

Silver

Post by Cicero76 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:22 pm

MistakenGenius wrote:That's actually a really good question for you guys. Which of my stories do you think would make the most compelling personal statement? I actually won't be applying until next cycle because I want to build up a little cash by working since I'm not in the best financial straits right now. Also, here's another question for you. I might be able to take some community college classes alongside my final semester at Clemson, would the extra couple tenths of a point on my GPA make any difference with Harvard, Yale, or Stanford? Also, my college is changing the GPA requirement for Magna Cum Laude which is why I plan to graduate in the fall. I know that sort of honor always follows you in life, especially if you want to be in politics or a judge. Do you think it would be better to take a year off from Clemson, go to community college and apply with my 176 and a 3.8+ GPA?
Do not take a year off to go to a community college for GPA padding purposes. Not only is this not necessary, it's more likely to hurt you than help you at HYS, which is where you should be aiming. With your story, your GPA is just fine.

As for your PS, is your cancer the reason you want to be a lawyer? If so, then make that your PS. I doubt that's the case however.

I think a far better application strategy would be to write a PS about growing up through poverty, working with the firewood thing, and parlaying that into a law firm. This will be especially effective if the "reason you want to go to law school" has something to do with those experiences. Your PS, especially for a place like HYS, should be about why you're going to law school, not a laundry list of accomplishments or a rehash of your bio (however impressive).

Your addendum is where the cancer can come out. In one page or less, you can write about the effect it had on you, what it did to your grades, how you overcame it and whether it had any effect on your law dreams. Don't overplay it though--your recommendations should do that for you. (i.e. "despite having cancer, MistakenGenius turned in unbelievably high quality work that made me tear up as I considered the fact that this beautiful essay was written by a young man who just months before had languished in a hospital... etc)

Which brings me to my last point: make those LORs good. Hopefully you built some good relationships with professors despite all this crap, because you have a slam dunk application in every way if your recommendation letters are any good at all. You have the grades. You have the scores. Get close to some professors, do a thesis, do whatever it takes to make them know you on a personal level so that they can communicate how amazing it is that you accomplished x, y and z despite personal challenges.

MKC

Diamond

Post by MKC » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:24 pm

I would like to punch your pre-law advisor in the face for his terrible advice. That is all. Enjoy YSH.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

LawGuy321

Bronze

Post by LawGuy321 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:13 pm

I'm procrastinating and reading old posts. This is a great one. The OP, who was given little chance at HYS courtesy of TLS peanut gallery, was accepted by all 3 and is now attending Yale.

This thread began as a tragedy and ended up a feel-good tale for the ages. Awesome job!!

And now back to work on a 3L paper...

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:24 pm

why on earth did you bump a two year old thread for that

Traynor Brah

Silver

Post by Traynor Brah » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:28 pm

LawGuy321 wrote:I'm procrastinating and reading old posts. This is a great one. The OP, who was given little chance at HYS courtesy of TLS peanut gallery, was accepted by all 3 and is now attending Yale.

This thread began as a tragedy and ended up a feel-good tale for the ages. Awesome job!!

die

LadyProspero

Bronze

Post by LadyProspero » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:31 pm

LawGuy321 wrote:I'm procrastinating and reading old posts. This is a great one. The OP, who was given little chance at HYS courtesy of TLS peanut gallery, was accepted by all 3 and is now attending Yale.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:53 pm

^^ this is probably a MistakenGenius alt, who probably already is not a real person/applicant to begin with

Nice job, now enjoy going back to masturbating in front of the mirror

NotASpecialSnowflake

Bronze

Post by NotASpecialSnowflake » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:17 am

Brut wrote:why on earth did you bump a two year old thread for that

Clyde Frog

Platinum

Post by Clyde Frog » Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:16 am

Hand wrote:

^^ this is probably a MistakenGenius alt, who probably already is not a real person/applicant to begin with

Nice job, now enjoy going back to masturbating in front of the mirror

I always figured MistakenGenius was fake. Here are two different threads where they talk about different lsat scores (179 and a 180), yet this thread has MG with an lsat score of 176.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 7#p7237827

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 8#p7877788

Basically MistakenGenius is a Native American with cancer that has an LSAT score and GPA that change every few months.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”