What are my odds at a top 10 school based on my softs? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
t-14orbust

Gold

Re: What are my odds at a top 10 school based on my softs?

Post by t-14orbust » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:28 pm

One of my friends has white skin but his father is black. Can he claim AA?

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:28 pm

African-American is a term of art. It does not mean part African, part American, and incorrectly labeling yourself African-American can have serious repercussions re bar C&F

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:39 pm

Why are people still arguing this? It was answered:
KevinP wrote:Because that's not the definition of African American typically used to describe race.

White – A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, the Middle East, or North Africa.
Black or African American – A person having origins in any of the Black racial groups of Africa.

https://www.census.gov/population/race/about/
OP has white skin and origins in North Africa. I don't see how he qualifies as AA.

t-14orbust wrote:One of my friends has white skin but his father is black. Can he claim AA?
If he's genuinely 50% AA, then yes. See: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 4&t=193620
And just to reiterate, if you are mixed race, identify as both (or more) races! You do not have to pick and choose! A mixed race person who has only 1/2, 1/4, 1/8? (1/16 is probably pushing it lol) of URM blood in them will be considered the same as a full-blooded URM. The boost is not reduced proportional to your overall URMness.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”