Calculation of LSAC GPA? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
BetterLateThanNever1

New

Calculation of LSAC GPA?

Post by BetterLateThanNever1 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:38 pm

Hi all. I understand that your GPA in the LSAC's eyes is composed of only your undergraduate work. I was in a 3/2 accounting program at my school in which we had 3 years of undergrad (110 hours) and 2 years of graduate school (44 hours). However, while in graduate school I did take some undergraduate classes that would have otherwise counted as undergrad classes had I not been in this program. My transcript includes these undergrad classes taken while I was in grad school as part of my 44 grad school hours.

My question is whether LSAC looks at undergrad *classes* or classes you took while only in undergraduate school? I'm pretty sure it's the latter, but wanted clarification. Also, do law schools weight the major that you earned this GPA in differently? Would a 3.8 in engineering be looked at the same as a 3.8 in business administration? Thank you!

Ti Malice

Gold

Re: Calculation of LSAC GPA?

Post by Ti Malice » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:50 pm

They'll count all classes taken before you were officially awarded a BA/BS.

ScottRiqui

Gold

Post by ScottRiqui » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:58 pm

Ti Malice wrote:They'll count all classes taken before you were officially awarded a BA/BS.
This. And as far as a law school "weighting" your GPA based on your major - not really.

If you and another candidate were vying for the same slot, and you were otherwise identical qualifications-wise (not very likely), then the adcomms might give more weight to a degree that's perceived as more academically rigorous, but for the most part, schools are just concerned about their median/25th/75th numbers, and for those purposes, one 3.8 is as good as another.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:04 pm

BetterLateThanNever1 wrote:Also, do law schools weight the major that you earned this GPA in differently?
Generally, no.

BetterLateThanNever1

New

Post by BetterLateThanNever1 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:35 pm

Thanks for all of the info, much appreciated.

For my program, we weren't awarded a BS upon being admitted to grad school. I walked once, and received both degrees at the same time after my 5th year.

However, on my transcript, it shows 44 graduate school hours and 110 undergrad hours. Would LSAC calculate all 154 hours towards my GPA, just the 110, the 110 plus the undergrad-level classes that were included in the 44?

Thanks again.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ScottRiqui

Gold

Post by ScottRiqui » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:41 pm

What's the "date awarded" on your bachelor's degree? Everything you took prior to that date should be counted toward your LSDAS GPA.
Last edited by ScottRiqui on Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:42 pm

BetterLateThanNever1 wrote:Thanks for all of the info, much appreciated.

For my program, we weren't awarded a BS upon being admitted to grad school. I walked once, and received both degrees at the same time after my 5th year.

However, on my transcript, it shows 44 graduate school hours and 110 undergrad hours. Would LSAC calculate all 154 hours towards my GPA, just the 110, the 110 plus the undergrad-level classes that were included in the 44?

Thanks again.
honestly just send your transcripts in and find out.. I'm under the impression they look at the date awarded on the first ba and count all college level courses prior to that date.

BetterLateThanNever1

New

Post by BetterLateThanNever1 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:01 pm

Clearlynotstefan wrote: honestly just send your transcripts in and find out..
Does LSAC post your computed GPA once they receive your transcripts? And my transcript shows my BS being awarded in May 2012 at the same time as my Masters. It also does say that I began graduate school in Fall 2010, and has a separate distinction for those 44 grad hours.

Including all hours, my LSAC GPA is 3.76. Without the 44 grad school hours, it goes up to 3.86.

ScottRiqui

Gold

Post by ScottRiqui » Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:57 pm

BetterLateThanNever1 wrote:
Clearlynotstefan wrote: honestly just send your transcripts in and find out..
Does LSAC post your computed GPA once they receive your transcripts?
Yes - once your transcripts are received and processed, LSAC will generate an Academic Summary Report. It will list a Degree (Summary) GPA and a Cumulative GPA. It's the Cumulative GPA that the law schools care about.

BetterLateThanNever1

New

Post by BetterLateThanNever1 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:57 pm

Thank you!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”