2.89/178 Extreme extreme splitter ? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
yetanotherSS

New

2.89/178 Extreme extreme splitter ?

Post by yetanotherSS » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:11 pm

Here we are, June LSAT results in. Worked my ass off to offset the abysmal GPA. I've been reading this forum non-stop for the past year so I've good a reasonably good idea of what to expect but there are so few people with that big of a differential that it doesn't hurt to ask.

Canadian Ivy League, tough major (not that it will make a big difference), but I have little excuses for my GPA. I didn't work hard enough, and failed some classes. I don't really have an upward or downward GPA trend, although the vast majority of my bad grades are concentrated in my minor, so I guess that's something.
Academic LORs will be forgettable, I will have 1 year WE with probably a decent professional LOR out of it. Softs aren't impressive. I speak decent Mandarin and have both academic & work experience in China. Could that be a good plus ? I plan on writing every personal statement available to mankind, because I know I can do good on those.

Should I blanket the lower T14 ? Will the fact that I've got such extreme numbers mean that the university will pay more attention to the file as whole (which I'm not sure is a good or a bad thing) or will they stick to GPA/LSAT stats ?
So far I am thinking of applying to NYU, UVA, Northwestern, Georgetown, Cornell for sure. How about Penn/Michigan ? And is it worth throwing something at Columbia ? Going lower down the T1, I was thinking GWU, Minnesota, and Boston U or Boston College. Any other suggestions ? Also I live in Texas, is it worth applying to UT or a waste of my money ?
For what it's worth I was also thinking of applying in Canada to UoT, British Columbia and Osgoorde, but maybe lawstudents.ca can be more helpful for that.

Sorry for the long-ish post, and thanks for your help.

UnderrateOverachieve

Bronze

Re: 2.89/178 Extreme extreme splitter ?

Post by UnderrateOverachieve » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:37 pm

Undergraduate GPA or LSDAS GPA?

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:40 pm

Congrats on your score!

With very few possible exceptions, you'll need to attend a T14 for it to be worth attending a US law school at all, because with your GPA, almost any other school will cost you much more than it's worth. I think WUSTL and Minnesota are giving out big scholarships for super-splitters like you, but you'd need to be content with fewer job options and limited geographic mobility. Forget about GWU, BC, and BU. They'll offer to rob you blind.

Tiago Splitter assures me that someone with a 2.9 and a really high LSAT got into NYU this year, so I suppose you could throw them a Hail Mary. Your best chances would definitely be with NU, though it would really help if you would have two years of post-grad WE by the time you'd begin study. UVA and GULC are your other two best bets -- though I think sticker at GULC is way too risky. But you can certainly apply more broadly. Past results say you have little shot at any other T14, but the applicant pool will likely contract further, and some schools may find themselves newly inclined to swallow low GPAs for high LSATs. (But save your money on Berkeley and Duke. They're serious about GPAs.)

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:42 am

Very similar applicant. Work experience will get you NU possibly with small money, depending on the applicant pool that year. Anything else is anyones guess, GULC is possible, UVA is possible ED.

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:55 am

if you have Texas residency and don't mind staying after you graduate UT is a solid option and a likely acceptance.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:59 am

Pneumonia wrote:if you have Texas residency and don't mind staying after you graduate UT is a solid option and a likely acceptance.
Even with that low of a GPA? I thought UT wasn't overly splitter friendly?

thewaves

Bronze

Post by thewaves » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:05 am

http://mylsn.info/1cpeud

take this with a grain of salt.
Last edited by thewaves on Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:08 am, edited 3 times in total.

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:06 am

Canadian Ivy League? lolwut

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:08 am

ImNoScar wrote:
Pneumonia wrote:if you have Texas residency and don't mind staying after you graduate UT is a solid option and a likely acceptance.
Even with that low of a GPA? I thought UT wasn't overly splitter friendly?

I think that has been a tendency in the past (see Leiter/Chicago), but residency + high LSAT is seeming pretty solid these days. There's only one person from this past cycle on LSN with similar stats (tehwetbandit, 177/2.79, non-resident) and they got in.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:12 am

thewaves wrote:http://mylsn.info/1cpeud

take this with a grain of salt.
lol at Yale 50%

chill

Bronze

Post by chill » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:17 am

Last edited by chill on Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:47 am

yetanotherSS wrote:Here we are, June LSAT results in. Worked my ass off to offset the abysmal GPA. I've been reading this forum non-stop for the past year so I've good a reasonably good idea of what to expect but there are so few people with that big of a differential that it doesn't hurt to ask.

Canadian Ivy League, tough major (not that it will make a big difference), but I have little excuses for my GPA. I didn't work hard enough, and failed some classes. I don't really have an upward or downward GPA trend, although the vast majority of my bad grades are concentrated in my minor, so I guess that's something.
Academic LORs will be forgettable, I will have 1 year WE with probably a decent professional LOR out of it. Softs aren't impressive. I speak decent Mandarin and have both academic & work experience in China. Could that be a good plus ? I plan on writing every personal statement available to mankind, because I know I can do good on those.

Should I blanket the lower T14 ? Will the fact that I've got such extreme numbers mean that the university will pay more attention to the file as whole (which I'm not sure is a good or a bad thing) or will they stick to GPA/LSAT stats ?
So far I am thinking of applying to NYU, UVA, Northwestern, Georgetown, Cornell for sure. How about Penn/Michigan ? And is it worth throwing something at Columbia ? Going lower down the T1, I was thinking GWU, Minnesota, and Boston U or Boston College. Any other suggestions ? Also I live in Texas, is it worth applying to UT or a waste of my money ?
For what it's worth I was also thinking of applying in Canada to UoT, British Columbia and Osgoorde, but maybe lawstudents.ca can be more helpful for that.

Sorry for the long-ish post, and thanks for your help.
Blanket the lower T14 for sure. I had a 2.81/176 and you can see my full cycle on my profile here or at http://lawschoolnumbers.com/whimsical

I ended up getting into NU, GULC, and UVa. Can't help with the UT thing but you're a decent candidate for NU, especially with the WE. Feel free to PM with questions (i might take a while getting bck to you, as a warning)

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:58 am

I'm pretty sure you don't need to proof read that NU app.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Xixak

Bronze

Post by Xixak » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:34 pm

Hey I'm from Canada too.

What in all hell is the Canadian Ivy League?

yetanotherSS

New

Post by yetanotherSS » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:07 pm

Alright so sarcasm doesn't translate very well on the internet. I went to Mcgill.

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I am a Texas resident, which is why I was considering UT. If it gives me better chances of getting in, I'll definitely apply there.
crumpetsandtea wrote: Blanket the lower T14 for sure. I had a 2.81/176 and you can see my full cycle on my profile here or at http://lawschoolnumbers.com/whimsical

I ended up getting into NU, GULC, and UVa. Can't help with the UT thing but you're a decent candidate for NU, especially with the WE. Feel free to PM with questions (i might take a while getting bck to you, as a warning)
I've already seen your lawschoolnumbers profile, I really hope I can do as well as you did.

As a clarification, I will have about a year of WE at the time of application, so 2 years by the time I would begin studying. I graduated last summer, did a 6 month paid internship in a law firm in China and am now working full-time doing data entry in a law firm in the US. I don't know how much of a boost that gives me with respect to NU, but I'm hoping that it's enough, especially considering how an internship isn't really WE.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “What are my chances?”