GPA: 4.0, LSAT: 160 - Does This Plan Sound Good? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
This.Is.Steve.1991

New

GPA: 4.0, LSAT: 160 - Does This Plan Sound Good?

Post by This.Is.Steve.1991 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:43 am

Hello All,

So, as the subject line revealed, my GPA is 4.0 from a large public school in Pennsylvania (majoring in economics and political science) and my LSAT is a 160. My resume is quite extensive and the two professors writing my recommendations have known me for years and will surely write fantastic letters.

That being said, I have come up with a plan for applying to law school. I will be applying to most, if not all, of the schools I have on my list this September and registering for the June 2014 LSAT. If I get into the schools I want to, I will cancel the test and proceed to law school, If not, I will retake and reapply for the following cycle. I really do not want to waste my GPA, resume, etc. if I can get into a top 20 school by getting an additional 5-10 points on my LSAT, through extensive studying of course.

As of now, I wish to apply to UPenn, Temple U, Villanova, and GWU.

Thoughts?

Thank You
James Lafferty

WhiteyCakes

Silver

Re: GPA: 4.0, LSAT: 160 - Does This Plan Sound Good?

Post by WhiteyCakes » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:49 am

All that matters is your retake.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:49 am

Decent plan.

Why not retake in October or December though?

This.Is.Steve.1991

New

Post by This.Is.Steve.1991 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:54 am

Nova wrote:Decent plan.

With my current schedule, studying for the LSAT again would be extremely difficult.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:58 am

Nova wrote:Decent plan.

This. Don't just retake as a contingency in June. Retake ASAP so that it can benefit you this cycle. I'd plan on taking in October and then again in December if you have to.

What were you PTing at before you took the LSAT? How much did you study for the LSAT? How did you study?

You have an awesome GPA and a pretty mediocre, borderline poor LSAT. (Yes, I know the median is a 152 or whatever, but a 160 is really not good enough in today's economy.) You have a great opportunity in front of you: an entire year to get your LSAT score up without taking a year off, and a perfect GPA to match whatever score you end up with. Don't waste that opportunity. You are right that 5-10 points could really change the game for you. Instead of looking at bad debt from decent schools like Nova, Temple, and GW, you could be looking at T14s with scholarships or T20s with full rides.

Glad to see you're approaching this the right way and with an open mind. Good luck to you, and do stick around here and soak up as much info as you can.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”