Help! Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
mikebrownforpres

New

Help!

Post by mikebrownforpres » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:32 pm

Hey guys...recently discovered this site and have found it very helpful. I've been out of undergrad for about 4 years. My GPA was a 2.55 GPA (I know, i know). I've been working since sophomore year of high school and have some experience in estate planning. I also completed my MBA online to show that I can indeed excel academically. I've taken the LSAT twice and got a 146 and a 154. I know most of you are far smarter than I am and I totally respect that. So, please refrain from ridiculing my mistakes. I'm doing my best now to follow my dreams.

During my time estate planning, I grew quite an interest in law. Not happy in my field I decided to make the move and pursue a legal education. From the little I've read on the this site you all seem to agree that any of the top 14 schools are worth going to. Even if I get a 180 on my LSAT I know that my GPA will restrict me from getting into any of them. I've gotten into a few T2s (50-100) in the MA and NY areas. If I place in the top 10% or so in my class, is it reasonable to think that I could possibly transfer into one of them? I feel that this is my only way to gain admission into an elite school. I know that conventional wisdom says "don't go to a law school you won't be unhappy graduating from." I'll certainly take that into consideration and know that my idea is simply hypothetical.

I feel that with a strong 1L year, my work experience, my MBA, and some of my other softs that I'll have a pretty compelling application to submit. Your thoughts, advice, and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks y'all.

capt_slow

Bronze

Re: Help!

Post by capt_slow » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:39 pm

First of all, there are t14 schools you can get into with a low gpa and high LSAT score.

How did you study for the LSAT? Did you put in significant effort? If no, a retake might be your best option.

Furthermore, you have to remember, no matter where you go to law school, most of the other students are trying to get into the top 10% and 90% fail. So if that is your plan, be careful and realistic with yourself.

Good luck.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:43 pm

I would most definitely caution you to use the strengths you outlined including your WE & your MBA degree to REAPPLY with a higher LSAT next year, rather than attend a T2 with the hope of transferring.

If you improved 8 pts, I bet you could improve another 10-12. With mid-160's you could at least go to a T1 program and have some chance at a good career. There will be employers that will like your credentials, but you need to make yourself available to them in the right setting -- that is, a halfway decent law school. They won't even come to see you at the schools you are most likely considering.

If you want to achieve the dreams you've set out for yourself, study more for the LSAT and apply once you have a shot at a school with a greater than 15% chance of firm work. Otherwise, even if you graduate at the top of your class (which is no guarantee due to stacked sections/curve), you won't make it very far.

mikebrownforpres

New

Post by mikebrownforpres » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:46 pm

capt_slow wrote:First of all, there are t14 schools you can get into with a low gpa and high LSAT score.

How did you study for the LSAT? Did you put in significant effort? If no, a retake might be your best option.

Furthermore, you have to remember, no matter where you go to law school, most of the other students are trying to get into the top 10% and 90% fail. So if that is your plan, be careful and realistic with yourself.

Good luck.

I took a Kaplan course and really studies my ass for the latter attempt. The first attempt I didn't prepare nearly as much. I just don't test well. I didn't do well on the SATs either. I've also looked at LSN and even if I were to get a 180, my chances of admission at many of the top schools is slim to none.

dstars823

Bronze

Post by dstars823 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:47 pm

if you can hit 170+ i think you can get schools in the lower T14 to bite along with many regional T1s willing to offer you large amounts of scholarship. We have similar GPAs so trust me

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:48 pm

capt_slow wrote:First of all, there are t14 schools you can get into with a low gpa and high LSAT score.
With a "low" gpa like a 2.9, sure. With a 2.55, no, not really. Even Northwestern, the most splitter friendly T14, bottoms out around 2.75, and this is assuming OP can hit over 170, which is a stretch with a first take of 146 (I believe score increases are always possible, but not by 25 points)

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:49 pm

dstars823 wrote:if you can hit 170+ i think you can get schools in the lower T14 to bite along with many regional T1s willing to offer you large amounts of scholarship. We have similar GPAs so trust me
what is your GPA and which T14s did you get in to? not trying to be a dick, but i'm genuinely curious since LSP gives all red for everything below 2.75

mikebrownforpres

New

Post by mikebrownforpres » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:19 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
With a "low" gpa like a 2.9, sure. With a 2.55, no, not really. Even Northwestern, the most splitter friendly T14, bottoms out around 2.75, and this is assuming OP can hit over 170, which is a stretch with a first take of 146 (I believe score increases are always possible, but not by 25 points)

That makes perfect sense. I don't think I even have a shot at most of the T1 (1-50) schools. That's why I feel my best route at this point is the best T2 I can get into. Either I excel and hopefully transfer to a T14 or I do well enough to have decent employment prospects out of school.

Any idea of where I'd need to place at a T2 to transfer to a T14?

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:26 pm

mikebrownforpres wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:

That makes perfect sense. I don't think I even have a shot at most of the T1 (1-50) schools. That's why I feel my best route at this point is the best T2 I can get into. Either I excel and hopefully transfer to a T14 or I do well enough to have decent employment prospects out of school.

You do have a shot at T1. You actually have a pretty good chance at T30 w/$$ if you get your LSAT to mid-160s. Theres a kid on here who got $28K/ yr from UMN with a 2.6/166.
Trust that this is a better route than attempting a transfer

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Tekrul

Bronze

Post by Tekrul » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:57 pm

In amusement park terms:

Transferring is like unbuckling yourself from "The Hulk" and trying to jump into an empty seat in "Kingda Ka" as the two rides pass each other.

Retaking and reapplying is like stepping out of line for "The Hulk" and walking to the line for "Kingda Ka".

Winston1984

Gold

Post by Winston1984 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:03 pm

Tekrul wrote:In amusement park terms:

Transferring is like unbuckling yourself from "The Hulk" and trying to jump into an empty seat in "Kingda Ka" as the two rides pass each other.

Retaking and reapplying is like stepping out of line for "The Hulk" and walking to the line for "Kingda Ka".
Brilliant.

CyanIdes Of March

Silver

Post by CyanIdes Of March » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:34 pm

mikebrownforpres wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:

If I were you, I woudn't consider rank too much. I'd be considering where I want to live and how little debt I can get away with paying. Don't just go to "the best T2" you get into. Go to the financially most sensible school in your most preferred location.

dstars823

Bronze

Post by dstars823 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:51 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
dstars823 wrote:if you can hit 170+ i think you can get schools in the lower T14 to bite along with many regional T1s willing to offer you large amounts of scholarship. We have similar GPAs so trust me
what is your GPA and which T14s did you get in to? not trying to be a dick, but i'm genuinely curious since LSP gives all red for everything below 2.75
i got into northwestern with a 170 and mid 2s, if you look at northwestern this year they are taking a ton of 2.x 170+ splitters

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”