172, 3.52 New York Schools Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
pwnyc127

New

172, 3.52 New York Schools

Post by pwnyc127 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:27 pm

I just had a discussion with a pre-law advisor at my college and she said that a 172 and a 3.52 is not sufficient for NYU or Columbia. She said that a high lsat and a good GPA are necessary, however they are not sufficient. According to her, you must have additional experience that separates you from other applicants like starting a non-profit organization or negotiating peace between rival gangs in your neighborhood. Is this accurate or a crock of BS?

dsn32

Bronze

Re: 172, 3.52 New York Schools

Post by dsn32 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:32 pm

pwnyc127 wrote:I just had a discussion with a pre-law advisor at my college and she said that a 172 and a 3.52 is not sufficient for NYU or Columbia. She said that a high lsat and a good GPA are necessary, however they are not sufficient. According to her, you must have additional experience that separates you from other applicants like starting a non-profit organization or negotiating peace between rival gangs in your neighborhood. Is this accurate or a crock of BS?
Don't listen to these people, they are clueless. Softs don't matter that much, and your LSAT likely gives you a non-zero chance at NYU. Columbia is probably a longshot, but you'll at least get on their very large WL, and from there who knows. I would say apply to both, because you never know.

wisdom

New

Post by wisdom » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:33 pm

I think she's not so wrong about her conclusion although wrong in reasoning. I don't think that softs matter that much, but you're below 25th GPA and around 50th percentile LSAT for NYU, so you have some shot at getting in but you're not a lock. Unlikely at Columbia. Still, as previous poster said, can't hurt to apply.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:23 pm

3.5/172 has a great shot at NYU these days. Softs are generally meaningless but especially so at NYU.

http://nyu.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/1213

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:41 pm

I think you have a decent shot at nyu, long shot at c

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:53 pm

crock of shit, but you're a little borderline for nyu, and fairly unlikely for cls

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:32 pm

pwnyc127 wrote:I just had a discussion with a pre-law advisor at my college and she said that a 172 and a 3.52 is not sufficient for NYU or Columbia. She said that a high lsat and a good GPA are necessary, however they are not sufficient. According to her, you must have additional experience that separates you from other applicants like starting a non-profit organization or negotiating peace between rival gangs in your neighborhood. Is this accurate or a crock of BS?
for Yale, maybe the bolded would be helpful for you to stand out, assuming your GPA was within range so they would read your app. At CCN? it's BS -- the 172 gets you in to NYU and down. They have a very numbers driven admissions policy.

chadbrochill

Bronze

Post by chadbrochill » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:53 pm

I would ED NYU, several people with those numbers got in this year with a bit of $ too.

ncc5

New

Post by ncc5 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:02 am

Almost identical numbers (close enough to not matter) and I got into NYU and WL at CLS. So yeah, its a crock.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ManOfTheMinute

Gold

Post by ManOfTheMinute » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:08 am

Why do people speak out of their asses and not just check mylsn.info?

Probably in at NYU. WL at CLS.

/thread

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:55 am

If you get into Columbia, make sure to give Christina Shelby a holla for me :)

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:36 am

Roughly 90% of prelaw advisors should be rounded up and shot, and most of those spared should still be mercilessly horsewhipped. They're almost uniformly worthless.
ManOfTheMinute wrote:Why do people speak out of their asses and not just check mylsn.info?
Exactly what I was about to say.

OP is also not "around 50th percentile" for LSAT at NYU, as someone said above -- OP is above median, and that's a critical fact.

OP, looking at the last three cycles, which are the closest analogues we have for the coming cycle, you're essentially a lock at NYU. The sample size is small, but the data still suggests that you should throw an app at CLS and Chicago.

linkx13

Bronze

Post by linkx13 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:06 pm

Ti Malice wrote:Roughly 90% of prelaw advisors should be rounded up and shot, and most of those spared should still be mercilessly horsewhipped. They're almost uniformly worthless.
ManOfTheMinute wrote:Why do people speak out of their asses and not just check mylsn.info?
Exactly what I was about to say.

OP is also not "around 50th percentile" for LSAT at NYU, as someone said above -- OP is above median, and that's a critical fact.

OP, looking at the last three cycles, which are the closest analogues we have for the coming cycle, you're essentially a lock at NYU. The sample size is small, but the data still suggests that you should throw an app at CLS and Chicago.

[
The sample sizes for this are laughably small. Is there a website with actual good data?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:49 pm

linkx13 wrote: The sample sizes for this are laughably small.
Uh, no they're not -- not for NYU and several other schools. The Pearson correlation coefficient between GPA/LSAT and overall admissions outcomes for NYU is over 0.8 when adjusted for URM variance. This sample size gives you a p-value of a few ten-thousandths. The data above is plenty useful for a number of schools on the chart with high correlation values. No one's saying OP should use it for YHS.
Is there a website with actual good data?
This is the best there is, and the data is excellent. If you widen the parameters a bit, you'll have much larger samples. Of course, if you widen them carelessly (i.e. without regard to LSAT medians and GPA floors/medians, or by including cycles that serve as poor analogues), you'll get larger sample sizes but lower statistical power.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:10 am

Ti Malice wrote:
linkx13 wrote: The sample sizes for this are laughably small.
Uh, no they're not -- not for NYU and several other schools. The Pearson correlation coefficient between GPA/LSAT and overall admissions outcomes for NYU is over 0.8 when adjusted for URM variance. This sample size gives you a p-value of a few ten-thousandths.
This is pretty amazing. NYU is that predictable

Clyde Frog

Platinum

Post by Clyde Frog » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:17 am

The pre-law advisor at my school tells students that they must take required pre-law courses or they can't get into law school.

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:44 am

Clyde Frog wrote:
The pre-law advisor at my school tells students that they must take required pre-law courses or they can't get into law school.

are you fucking kidding me?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Nothing but the Funk

Bronze

Post by Nothing but the Funk » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:40 am

Clyde Frog wrote:
This is why I stopped meeting with my pre-law advisor after my first semester.

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:01 pm

LOL. I literally had two crappy jobs on my resume, no volunteer experience, and the last organization I participated in was my high school sports team. My median+above median numbers got me into both schools back in 09.

A prelaw advisor told me to apply to a T4 and then do an LLM at Harvard and it would be "like the same thing." So glad I'd found this place before hearing that.

I'm actually thinking of volunteering as a pre-law advisor to people at my undergrad to counter all the BS.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:12 pm

timbs4339 wrote:LOL. I literally had two crappy jobs on my resume, no volunteer experience, and the last organization I participated in was my high school sports team. My median+above median numbers got me into both schools back in 09.

A prelaw advisor told me to apply to a T4 and then do an LLM at Harvard and it would be "like the same thing." So glad I'd found this place before hearing that.

I'm actually thinking of volunteering as a pre-law advisor to people at my undergrad to counter all the BS.
I'm going to offer this service as well

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”